Bellazon

Michael Schumacher
Thumbnail

Nemeside

Weber not worried about Schumacher's bike races

27 March 2008

Michael Schumacher's manager Willi Weber has said he is not worried about the risks that come along with racing motorcycles. Schumacher's former team boss Jean Todt said he wasn't too excited to see Ferrari's advisor race bikes as it is a dangerous hobby.

Speaking with Germany's Bild newspaper Weber said: "I am not worried about Michael (Schumacher). He always knows what he is doing and the risks he is taking. It is just like racing in Formula 1. Anything can go wrong really but he will leave nothing to chance I'm sure."

Schumacher completed in two motorcycle races so far this year and finished third a week ago.

88448.jpg

Schumi to help spend McLaren fine

27 March 2008

Michael Schumacher will be part of a committee that will distribute the $60million McLaren paid in fines following last season's F1 spy controversy, it has emerged.

Schumacher will be one of five men on the committee for the Worldwide Motorsport Safety Development Fund. The other members are Max Mosley, Jean Todt, Mercedes' Norbert Haug and national sporting associations representative Nick Craw.

The fun will be spent over the next five years on safety programmes for drivers, officials and venues.

Schumacher rules out bike victory

Retired Formula One world champion Michael Schumacher has ruled out any chance of winning when he takes part in his first competitive motorbike race in Italy on Sunday.

The 39-year-old German, whose seven titles and 91 Grand Prix wins make him Formula One's most successful driver, said he would be happy just to make the starting grid for the KTM minor series race at the Misano circuit on Italy's Adriatic coast.

"Here it will be impossible to win, there are real and well-prepared riders, practically professional. I will just be happy to qualify," the ex-Ferrari driver told Saturday's Gazzetta dello Sport newspaper.

Schumacher, who has tested a Ducati MotoGP bike since retiring from Formula One at the end of 2006, will ride a 990cc KTM Super Duke in the 10-lap KTM Trophy race at the challenging circuit.

Misano also hosts a round of both the MotoGP and world superbike championships later in the year.

"This is just for enjoyment, no one is obliging me to do it. Maybe I will stop here," said Schumacher.

The German, an advisor and occasional test driver for Formula One champions Ferrari, has some experience of racing on two wheels but said Sunday was for real with 400 riders gathering for a weekend of competition.

"A week ago in Hungary and the other day in Barcelona were only non-competitive races," he said.

"In Spain there were some boys on motorbikes and I asked to do a little race. I finished in front but they were young boys. This instead will be a real race, the first official one I've done on a bike."

Schumi fourth on bike debut

31 March 2008

Michael Schumacher finished his first competitive motorcycle race in fourth place, after having qualified third for the race in Misano, Italy.

Schumacher entered the minor series event as his first competitive bike race and starting from third, was blocked in the first corner, dropped to tenth, before battling through the field to finish fourth.

"I was a bit too careful at the start and I was well behind," Schumacher said afterwards. "Then I found my way and started overtaking and it was great."

Schumacher insisted he wouldn't be getting too serious about racing on bikes. "There'll be no second career on bikes, this is just a hobby," he insisted.