15 A. Davidson Super Aguri 01:23.547 80

16 L. Filippi Honda 01:23.596 74

17 S. Bourdais Scuderia Toro Rosso 01:23.753 72

18 F. Montagny Toyota 01:23.977 45

19 C. Klien Force India F1 01:24.446 56

20 A. Sutil Force India F1 01:24.537 105

21 V. Liuzzi Force India F1 01:24.555 55

Schumacher admits feeling nervous on return

Michael Schumacher returned to an official test session for the first since since the German retired from Formula 1, October 2006. Schumacher was invited by Ferrari to join the team at the Circuit de Catalunya for a two-day test session.

Speaking about his first day of action in Spain he told GPUpdate.net: "It's great fun. I like it. I'm quite happy because the way I'm able to run is good enough to help the team, despite me being out for so long. There were some question marks and I think I've answered those. It's good to know I'm still good at what I'm doing."

Ferrari was hoping Schumacher could help the team work on next year's car where traction control is no longer allowed. Speaking about the way the car now feels without any traction control Schumacher said: "The feeling with the car without the traction control is actually worse than in 2000 (the last full year without traction control), because now we have different engines. Before you had the V10 and with that engine you could play with the gears and now that's impossible. The slow corners are the most difficult corners to manage."

Even though he had not driven a Formula One car in an official F1 event for nearly 13 months the seven-time world champion soon felt at home again in Ferrari's F1 car. Speaking about how easily he adapted to the car he said: "It came back very quickly. Within two laps I knew what I had to do. For me, that was a big question mark. It's good to know all this pretty quickly. I felt nervous when I got back in the car."

Schumacher: F1 will be more interesting without traction control

Michael Schumacher believes Formula 1 will be much more interesting next season as traction control on F1 cars will be banned. According to the German the races will become more spectacular but he doesn't expect any teams to make a big move forward thanks to the banning of traction control.

Speaking about the latest developments in Formula 1 Michael Schumacher told GPUpdate.net: "It will be really interesting to watch the races next year as there is no traction control. It's not only more interesting for the drivers, but also for the fans. The races can only get more spectacular now, but if it can really give a bit of an advantage to a team has yet to be seen. I expect that the same top teams will still be out there winning races."

The Schumacher fans should not expect him to return to Formula 1 though even though racing would be more fun than testing. "I do not even consider returning to Formula 1. I am just here to have a bit of fun."

Coulthard: Schumi still a hit

Berlin - A year after his last Formula One race, seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher could fill the vacancy at McClaren and dominate the track again, British driver David Coulthard told the German press on Wednesday.

The 36-year-old Scot watched in awe on Tuesday as Schumacher - who retired at the end of the 2006 season - showed no signs of his year away as he test drove for his old team Ferrari to put their car through its paces.

He recorded the fastest time of 1:21.922 over the 64 laps test-driving in Spain.

Red Bull driver Coulthard said Schumacher, 38, who last raced at the Brazilian Grand Prix in October 2006, could return to dominate Formula One again, if he wanted to step out of retirement.

Especially if he chose to fill the gap at McClaren recently vacated by twice world champ Fernando Alonso as the British-based team look for a driver to partner Lewis Hamilton.

"No-one should doubt Michael's quality for a moment, he hasn't lost anything," Coulthard told German tabloid Bild.

"He could make a return to Formula One anytime he wants.

"If McLaren needs another driver - Michael would be a fantastic solution."

Schumacher blazed around the Circuit de Catalunya in Spain and fellow Ferrari test driver Luca Badoer watched in wonder.

"It is unbelievable what Michael can still do," said Badoer.

"It barely looks like he has spent a day away from the track, let alone a year.

"He is definitely the fastest driver of the world."

But Schumacher has ruled out a return to full-time racing on numerous occasions, insisting he prefers time with his family rather than the persistent pressure of the track.

"I hope that I can support Ferrari during the preparations for the new season," he said.

But Coulthard put the admiring glances of fans into words when he added: "Paul McCartney never forgot how to make good music and Michael has never forgotten how to drive fast cars."

Schumacher would be a hit at McClaren, says Coulthard

BERLIN (AFP) - A year after his last Formula One race, seven-times world champion Michael Schumacher could fill the vacancy at McClaren and dominate the track again, British driver David Coulthard told the German press on Wednesday.

The 36-year-old Scot watched in awe on Tuesday and Wednesday as Schumacher - who retired at the end of the 2006 season - showed no signs of his year away as he test drove for his old team Ferrari to put their car through its paces.

He recorded the fastest times on both of the two-day test drive in Spain and later admitted he was a bit nervous before he climbed behind the wheel.

"Before I got in the car, I was a bit nervous," Schumacher told German sports agency SID. "And I was curious to see how rusty I would be."

Red Bull driver Coulthard said Schumacher, 38, who last raced at the Brazilian Grand Prix in October 2006, could return to dominate Formula One again, if he wanted to step out of retirement.

Especially if he chose to fill the gap at McClaren recently vacated by twice world champ Fernando Alonso as the British-based team look for a driver to partner Lewis Hamilton.

"No-one should doubt Michael's quality for a moment, he hasn't lost anything," Coulthard told German tabloid Bild. "He could make a return to Formula One anytime he wants.

"If McLaren needs another driver - Michael would be a fantastic solution."

Schumacher blazed around the Circuit de Catalunya in Spain and fellow Ferrari test driver Luca Badoer watched in wonder.

"It is unbelievable what Michael can still do," said Badoer. "It barely looks like he has spent a day away from the track, let alone a year. He is definitely the fastest driver of the world."

But Schumacher has ruled out a return to full-time racing on numerous occasions, insisting he prefers time with his family rather than the persistent pressure of the track.

"I hope that I can support Ferrari during the preparations for the new season," he said. "Test driving was great fun and a part of me has missed it. "But a return to Formula One racing is not up for discussion."

But Coulthard put the admiring glances of fans into words when he added: "Paul McCartney never forgot how to make good music and Michael has never forgotten how to drive fast cars."

Schumacher gearing up for RoC race return

With exactly one month to go before the world's best drivers descend on London's Wembley Stadium for The Race of Champions, Michael Schumacher has been warming up for his return to racing.

The seven-time Formula One champion has revisited former team Ferrari in a testing role, setting the fastest time on both days in Barcelona earlier this week despite being away from the sport for one year.

When asked whether the absence would affect his performance in The Race of Champions, where he will compete against fellow motorsport champions including World Rally leader Marcus Grönholm, four-time Champ Car Champion Sébastien Bourdais and double World Touring Car Champion Andy Priaulx, the racing legend was circumspect.

"Well, of course I hope not!" said Schumacher, who will partner F1 newcomer Sebastian Vettel for Team Germany in the ROC Nations Cup.

"It might have even heightened my motivation to drive, as I have seen when testing the F1 for Ferrari. On the other hand you never know; it is clear that practice helps a lot," he added.

Now the German superstar is looking forward to testing his metal again against the best in the world at Wembley Stadium next month, when the national stadium will be transformed into a tarmac race track to facilitate this champion of champions decider.

"I can tell you that I had never in my life a bad feeling getting behind the wheel of a car," said Schumacher, who says he has no nerves about his competitive return. "No, I look forward to finally getting out there. The Race of Champions is just a great event."

Schumacher competed in The Race of Champions 2004 at the Stade de France in Paris. He reached the semi-finals before being knocked out by Heikki Kovalainen, who now drives for Renault F1.

Michael Schumacher joins FIA Foundation

Michael Schumacher has been elected as a member of the FIA Foundation Board of Trustees at the charity's 2007 annual meeting.

Schumacher, has been a strong supporter of FIA Foundation road safety initiatives in recent years. He is currently supporting the Make Roads Safe campaign as a member of the Commission for Global Road Safety and was previously an ambassador for the Think Before You Drive campaign, together with former Ferrari team mate Rubens Barrichello. Schumacher also had a committed involvement in motor sport safety issues during his racing career, including active participation in the detailed work of safety technical committees.

David Ward, FIA Foundation Director General, said: "We are delighted that Michael has agreed to join our Board of Trustees. The Board has a vital role in approving and providing strategic advice and oversight for all the Foundation's activities, in road safety, environmental issues and motor sport safety. Michael's insight and experience will be tremendously valuable to our work."

Schumacher commented: "I have worked closely with the FIA Foundation as a road safety campaigner and have seen first-hand what an important contribution it has to make on this critical issue. I look forward to helping the Foundation in my new role as Trustee."

The FIA Foundation also welcomes David Njoroge, Director General of the Automobile Association of Kenya, to the Board of Trustees. Njoroge has an impressive track record in building and leading his organization. He is a passionate advocate for road safety in his native Kenya, where he is a member of the National Road Safety Council, and has been working with the FIA Foundation and other road safety organisations to promote road safety across the continent as the African member of the Commission for Global Road Safety.