Bellazon

Alien: Covenant

Stromboli1

Plot: Bound for a remote planet on the far side of the galaxy, the crew of the colony ship Covenant discover what they think is an uncharted paradise, but is actually a dark, dangerous world, whose sole inhabitant is the synthetic David, survivor of the doomed Prometheus expedition.

Ridley Scott has become so hit and miss. It would be wrong to deny him his legendary status, but he's had enough stinkers in recent years for audiences to be apprehensive. I must say though, I never thought Prometheus was entirely deserving of the flack it got. I suppose like a lot of prequels, it probably tried too hard to answer questions that nobody asked and to establish a mythology by mashing together elements of Alien and Aliens, with a bit of Frankenstein mixed in. The human race being the truly monstrous creation and the xenomorphs just innocent biological weapons was an outstanding concept, even if it does all come off as something of a mix-up of confused ideas. I think taken out of the Alien universe context, it would stand on its own as half-decent science fiction.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎13‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 2:59 AM, Stromboli1 said:

This is the movie poster.

I stopped reading at 'run'. :rofl: What I really like is how much it looks like the egg poster from the original Alien. 

Glad to see Noomi Rapace back, too. I've been a fan of hers since that astonishing performance in the Dragon Tattoo trilogy. I thought she was great in Prometheus and a worthy follow-up character to Ripley.

3 hours ago, Stromboli1 said:

The trailer looks good.

IMHO the film looks fine.  Perhaps a 3.5 out of 5 movie.   It looks like a slasher movie so far, so I'm not hyped about it TBH.  The theme looks very similar to the Prometheus comics:  An exploration ship lands on a new planet, and the black goo infects the surrounding area and mutates everything.

I think the whole Aliens saga seems to have gone off-rails a bit especially with the black goo stuff.  I liked the engineers concept but Prometheus didn't really get it right.  It could have been much more.

The 1990s comics had an interesting element to them; in their fanfiction they depicted the Aliens as something akin to a inter-galactic cancer that was spreading and humanity (lead by the colonial marines) were at war with them.  The Predators also had cameos, but they were more in it for sport.  The humans' nickname for them was "Bugs".

Prometheus had one of the best trailers and hype trains ever:

But the whole idea of the engineer being this brutal, serial killer-ish thug with little explanation of their world and their purpose..quickly dropped the concept down a notch for me.  The engineer doesn't even blink after he wakes up and starts trying to kill them all lol.

Just now, Stromboli1 said:

The engineers' story was intentionally ambiguous.

There was past history between the creators and their creations, possibly Jesus was an engineer in their story. :idk:

IMHO yes but the whole meeting was a huge letdown. 

The forum thread I posted allegedly has leaks of someone was in the position of watching the new film.  He explains the story in the thread.

I definitely think that it was alluding towards the Aztecs, Romans, and Egyptians meeting the Engineers and then creating statues of them after they left lol.  Apparently the Engineers don't visit Asia :rofl:  I missed the Jesus thing.  

Why did the engineers want to destroy the human race? That's why i think an engineer was Jesus. When they crucified him, there were obvious consequences. LV-223 seemed like an engineer military base of some kind too.

Maybe we'll get some answers in this film.

11 minutes ago, Stromboli1 said:

Why did the engineers want to destroy the human race? That's why i think an engineer was Jesus. When they crucified him, there were obvious consequences. LV-223 seemed like an engineer military base of some kind too.

Maybe we'll get some answers in this film.

The supposed leak states that the film has moved away from the engineers and is focused on the creation of the Xenomorph.  So Alien-Covenant is essentially a prequel to Alien. (literally like Star Wars: Rogue one is to A New Hope)

5 minutes ago, Cult Icon said:

The supposed leak states that the film has moved away from the engineers and is focused on the creation of the Xenomorph.  So Alien-Covenant is essentially a prequel to Alien. (literally like Star Wars: Rogue one is to A New Hope)

Ridley Scott said that there would be 2 sequels to Prometheus that would lead into Alien, possibly a fourth film too.

2 minutes ago, Stromboli1 said:

Ridley Scott said that there would be 2 sequels to Prometheus that would lead into Alien, possibly a fourth film too.

Prometheus, for sure, doesn't make much sense on its own.  IMHO Prometheus was literally a mash up of interesting concepts but lacking in coherency: 

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2012/06/decoding-the-cultural-influences-in-prometheus-from-lovecraft-to-halo/258357/#slide2

It looks very xenomorph-driven but I don't know if I could see Scott ignoring the engineer stuff altogether, I think he's trying to please everyone. I suppose if this movie ties the concepts of Prometheus and Alien together cohesively, it might actually improve the former in terms of being part of an ongoing story arc.

Honestly though, after watching the trailer, my enthusiasm has mostly dissipated. That shower scene was a total eye-roller, it could have been lifted from any number of trash level horror movies. :no: