Bellazon

The Avengers, Age of Ultron, Infinity War & Endgame (2012-2019)

Ana Beatriz Barros Fan

No thoughts yet?

I have many thoughts but I'm not sure which ones to talk about or my post would be too long.

I know people like breaking down these things and pointing out problems but I have no interest in doing that so I will just say: I enjoyed it a lot, but I'm not sure I can talk about without spoiling something. I can see why the actors had difficulty in interviews, it's hard to say anything that doesn't reveal something important.

I saw this movie today and I was crying about half of the movie, I also laughed a lot and was on the edge of my seat most of the time. The odds are I'll go and watch it again, fuck I may even put myself through the 3D stuff for this.

Endgame is by far, IMO, the greatest superhero movie ever made, honestly no other comic-based movie will ever be able to top this. It has it all: laughs, cry, great character development. It was just perfect and even tho it's long, I didn't feel like I was sitting there for three hours, it went by so fast. There was a moment in the movie, that very sad death where everyone in the room went 100% silent, you could have heard a needle dropping on the floor for about 2 minutes after the light went out, and after that it was just people crying. Honestly I loved the movie, as someone who has been going to watch every single one of this movies since 2008 this felt to me like the perfect the perfect ending to this era. I wouldn't change a single thing about it, especially Cap's last scene I loved, it was so Cap.

Also props to my boy Chris Hemsworth, I kept me cackling the whole movie. And yiikes to Captain's Marvel hair, it's the only flaw in the movie I found lmao, it was tragic, glad Brie Larson realised it was awful and changed it cor her solo movie.

In related MCU news, Chris Hemsworth has confirmed that he signed a new contract with Marvel. Don't know if this means we'll have Thor 4 or if he'll be involved in other movies, like Guardians of the Galaxy 3 or Spider Man 3, which brings me to my next question, which I'll put under the spoiler tag in case anyone hasn't seen Infiny War or Endgame already.

Spoiler

We know Zoe is signed for the movie but Gamora is dead, caput, muerta, she didn't come back after Tony's snap because she had died before Thano's snap so I wonder what they'll do with the character? It would honestly be quite shitty to bring just Gamora back from death but leave Vision and Black Widow death? I'm really interested in seeing what they'll do, especially since Black Widow's movie is 100% happening, it would be interesting to see if the first one is a success if Marvel gives her a sequel in a post-Endgame world. She's always been one of my favorite characters and I'd love to see her getting more solo action.

Marvel said they will release the phase 4 projects after Far From Home comes out, so I guess we'll find out soon enough but I'm truly curious

^^  My thoughts on your hidden content which I will hide for the same reason:

Spoiler

The end of Endgame left little doubt Hemsworth was coming back, otherwise that last scene with the Guardians was pointless.

On Gamora: in general, I was surprised with how few characters were clearly written out for a post-Endgame world. I am also curious how they bring back Gamora without Natasha. Personally, I want Gamora back because I like the character and I like Zoe, but from a story standpoint, I want deaths to matter. Hopefully they will do it in a way that isn't frustrating. It will be 2+ years for Guardians 3 to come out, so we will have to wait.

It is a poorly kept secret that Marvel will have two movies next year and they should be Black Widow, and The Eternals. Black Widow is set in the past, but I'm like you, i wonder if they will try to do something in the future, too.

(I think Vision can be rebuilt, but I'm not sure)

I just went back and read my post. I don't think I answered anything you said but just repeated most of it, not very helpful.  :idk:

Yeah we know about Back Widow and The Eternals for sure as that is what Marvel has announced but the whole phase will be outlined, much like we've known Avengers 4 would be the end of the phase since like 2012, I'm guessing it'll be Spider Man 3, Black Panther 2, Captain Marvel 2, two new Avengers movies, The Eternals 1 & 2, Black Widow and Guardians of the Galaxy 3, at least

Also the new trailer for Spider Man: Far from home is out! it has a major spoiler from Endgame but it looks amazing. 

Endgame is currently trending towards the all-time #2 spot for the United States/Canada box office,  it's unlikely to catch The Force Awakens.

The movie seems likely to top Avatar for the #1 spot worldwide. An important part of reaching that number will be that the movie should finish in the #2 or #3 spot all-time in China. A few years ago the Chinese market didn't affect the worldwide totals much, but now that's a significant part of it.

• 2 weeks later...

On 5/9/2019 at 4:36 AM, jkjk said:

Endgame is currently trending towards the all-time #2 spot for the United States/Canada box office,  it's unlikely to catch The Force Awakens.

The movie seems likely to top Avatar for the #1 spot worldwide. An important part of reaching that number will be that the movie should finish in the #2 or #3 spot all-time in China. A few years ago the Chinese market didn't affect the worldwide totals much, but now that's a significant part of it.

Yeah, that's unbelievable how the Chinese market has grown since a decade ago, for example. It's great for movie makers but I'm afraid we're going to see more and more focus shifting towards this market. And let's be honest it's hard to please western and eastern people. The culture differences are too broad

• 4 weeks later...

I was bored and the final totals are nearing for Endgame.

The worldwide box office gross for Endgame is nearly even with Avatar. It may still surpass Avatar, but the two movies are virtually tied for #1.

The six markets where Endgame made the most and its all-time placement in those markets:

USA/Canada - #2 all-time behind Star Wars: The Force Awakens

China - #3 all-time behind two Chinese language movies

UK/Ireland - #5 or #7 all-time (some disagreement with the lists?)

South Korea - #5 all-time (#2 English language movie)

Brazil - #1 all-time

Mexico - #1 all -time

Also, Endgame set new records for opening weekends in too many countries to name.

On 6/17/2019 at 1:45 AM, jkjk said:

The worldwide box office gross for Endgame is nearly even with Avatar. It may still surpass Avatar, but the two movies are virtually tied for #1.

I guess it's safe to assume, with the release of Super Endgame: Turbo Edition evidently now in the pipeline, that Feige really wants that record. I imagine some folks will consider the whole thing a bit of a cheat, but given that Avatar's official box office total includes an extra $30m raked in after its own re-release, I suppose you'd have to say there's no reason why Marvel couldn't or shouldn't do the same.

Apart from anything else though, it's the movie of the year with more stuff, so hey, I'm in. :biggrin:

• 1 month later...
On 5/23/2019 at 4:32 PM, jamesgunnn said:

Yeah, that's unbelievable how the Chinese market has grown since a decade ago, for example. It's great for movie makers but I'm afraid we're going to see more and more focus shifting towards this market. And let's be honest it's hard to please western and eastern people. The culture differences are too broad.

Yeah, the idea of a film's success being wholly dependent on whether China approves of it is one that I'm not sure I like the sound of, although I realise that's perhaps a bit of a simplistic assessment. Then again, you also have things like Suicide Squad, which outperformed both Wonder Woman and Civil War without making its way to the Chinese box office. :unsure:

Overall though, it seems the importance of China's role in the international stakes is growing. It can help record-breaking movies become more successful, and even renews potential for sequels to perceived flops like Pacific Rim being greenlit.

On 6/17/2019 at 1:45 AM, jkjk said:

Quite fun to see the niceties exchanged by the Russo brothers and James Cameron after the record was finally surpassed.

What with it being the climactic point of an arc spanning 10 years and 22 movies, the kind of hype and craziness generated by Endgame could be a one-off and with that in mind, it's tough to imagine there being much scope for the record to be broken again any time soon. By the same token, it's quite impressive for Avatar, a movie that the internet claims everyone hates, to have held on for a long as it did. :laugh:

On 5/6/2019 at 2:43 PM, Clauds said:

Yeah we know about Back Widow and The Eternals for sure as that is what Marvel has announced but the whole phase will be outlined, much like we've known Avengers 4 would be the end of the phase since like 2012, I'm guessing it'll be Spider Man 3, Black Panther 2, Captain Marvel 2, two new Avengers movies, The Eternals 1 & 2, Black Widow and Guardians of the Galaxy 3, at least

Also the new trailer for Spider Man: Far from home is out! it has a major spoiler from Endgame but it looks amazing. 

Eternals could work out like GotG did if Marvel plays its cards right, springing lesser known characters onto the public should be an aid to really going nuts with the material. I believe Thanos is technically one of them, too. It would be fun if, in part, it turns out to be a sneaky origin story for him.

59 minutes ago, Michael* said:

Quite fun to see the niceties exchanged by the Russo brothers and James Cameron after the record was finally surpassed.

What with it being the climactic point of an arc spanning 10 years and 22 movies, the kind of hype and craziness generated by Endgame could be a one-off and with that in mind, it's tough to imagine there being much scope for the record to be broken again any time soon. By the same token, it's quite impressive for Avatar, a movie that the internet claims everyone hates, to have held on for a long as it did. :laugh:

No one should feel too bad for Cameron (and they don't  :smile:), he had #1 and #2 for a long time.

As for anything making that much soon, it seems unlikely. Endgame and Avatar are 1 & 2 by a significant margin. If a movie will get near these movies, it will probably be because of a big impact from China (always China :smile:). Inflation will help it eventually happen, but not quickly.

Third all-time is Titanic from 1997 :ohmy:. It is impressive Avatar had such a big advantage for ten years, but Titanic's time at/near the top is also impressive. That's true when thinking about inflation and also the fact that many markets that exist now didn't in 1997.

Avatar is hated in a similar way that other popular movies are hated, it seems to be more about saying look at me I don't like what other people liked. Of course, the importance of Avatar is much bigger than the movie itself. For one, the movie used 3D in a way that it had not been used before and hasn't since, really. Also, in ways too varied to put here, Avatar changed the way movies are made.

(I know that's not what you were talking about with Avatar, but I just thought of it)

I must confess, I still consider Avatar's apparent failure to flourish as an object of cult fandom a bit of a curiosity. I remember Cameron spending a lot of time back in the day talking about how terrible everybody else's attempts at 3D were and I don't think he was necessarily wrong, then again his own vision for it (while so much more immersive) was very specific to the cinema experience, which is probably why it's enjoyed less TV airtime and streaming views than other movies of comparable box office performance. What price now though that someone finds a tenuous reason to do a theatrical re-release? :DanniCullen:

Of course, the one big winner in all this is Zoe Saldana, since she can now say she was in the top two highest grossing movies of all time. If I'm her, I'm having that carved on my tombstone. :laugh: