Bellazon

Brigitte Bardot
Thumbnail

saritaa

April 9, 2006

Brigitte Bardot

The former actress, 71, runs the Brigitte Bardot Foundation, which she created to campaign for animal rights. She lives near St Tropez, France, with her fourth husband, the businessman Bernard d’Ormale, 63, and six dogs

INTERVIEW BY JOHN FOLLAIN

I get up at about 9.30. I have a croissant and a slice of toast — shared with my six dogs. I don’t eat much. The smoked Chinese tea is for me, though. One dog, Alba, was one of the 200,000 who were due to be put to sleep in Bucharest. I’ve also got a greyhound called Tootsie, who’d been left to die of hunger not far from here.

From breakfast onwards I’m in total phone contact with my foundation. I can’t go often to Paris, where the offices are, because I’ve got osteoarthritis in the hips and moving around hurts — I have to use crutches.

The Bardot foundation is fantastic — it’s the biggest success of my life. When I ended my film career in 1973, I gave my house to the foundation and I sold everything: paintings, jewels, the dresses I wore for my films, the make-up boxes, the dress I married my first husband, Roger Vadim, in.

I find it unacceptable that we consider animals as things. They are living beings, flesh and blood, just like us. Yet we take them hostage, kill them, eat them in atrocious ways. We make coats with them, use them as guinea pigs. We make them scream in pain for ages.

I’m not saying we shouldn’t eat animals, but we shouldn’t make them suffer. My first campaign was against the massacre of baby seals in Canada, and now the butchery has started again, with 1m killed every three years. We handed a petition with 200,000 signatures to the Canadian embassy in Paris. I couldn’t go because of my hips, but people like Paul McCartney and Ursula Andress signed it.

I’m never shy. I phone ministers or I write to them when I think it can help. I’m not politically correct, either — I’ve been convicted of provoking racial hatred. I got into trouble for saying it’s wrong for Muslims to slit the throats of sheep on their Eid feast day. But damn it, it’s cowardly not to say what you believe!

At noon I drive to my Noah’s ark — the farm where I care for the animals we’ve rescued. There are more dogs there, as well as geese, chickens — they’re a problem now, what with bird flu — a donkey and a pony. And at least 60 cats. There are about 100 animals, but I know them all so well, I can tell instantly if one of them is not eating or is feeling poorly. Frankly, I prefer to spend my time with animals than with people. Animals are truthful and spontaneous. If an animal doesn’t like you, he won’t come to you.

I don’t have lunch: I just nibble on a bit of chocolate or some fruit. Lunch makes me waste time. People stuff themselves too much. They’re obsessed by food, and not just the French. You know what foie gras is? It’s disgusting, it’s a sick liver — worse than cirrhosis multiplied by 10.

Last Christmas we suddenly had to take care of 150 puppies from Hungary. They’d been seized at the border between France and Italy. The puppies — boxers and Yorkshires and other breeds — were dying of dehydration. And they’d been separated from their mothers way too early. The French bureaucracy helped us, but they also stopped us doing things properly. We couldn’t have vets care for the puppies, because they hadn’t been vaccinated against rabies. It was a terrifying bloody mess. We’re still dealing with it, and already 56 have died. If I had the Hungarian breeder in front of me, I would smash his face in.

You British, though, are an example. Well done for banning foxhunting. But now Brits come to France to hunt, and the French government is not helping. Chirac used to be a great friend when he was mayor of Paris; now he’s president, he’s indifferent to my campaigns.

It’s exhausting. I’m 71, and there are moments when I feel discouraged. But I keep going. What do you think I do this for? To be a pain in the ass, so people can call me a stupid old bitch? Fighting for animals is part of me, of my body, of my heart and my soul. It will die with me. Thank God that Bernard supports me, otherwise I’d be a real wreck.

I only get one meal a day, so it has to be delicious. I have my own vegetable garden and I am a marvellously good cook. I’ve been a vegetarian for over 30 years, and I can do all sorts of things: beans with sautéed potatoes, lots of vegetables with eggs and garlic and Provençal herbs, tarte tatin… We spend our evenings by the log fire. I’ve been out so often in my life that it’s like having indigestion after eating too many chocolates — I’ve no wish to go out now.

I can’t go for a walk because of my crutches, but I try to empty my head by watching TV or reading. Often I have to wash my hair. I’ve got lots of it — it goes down to my buttocks. I love long hair; for me, it’s a feminine jewel that money just can’t buy. And mine is still the natural blonde colour it was when I was 20. I wear it in a chignon. I haven’t been to the hairdresser in 30 years. I just try to be dignified and look my best.

I love the night. It’s at night that I can write, that I can do more things for the foundation. I go to bed at about 2.30am, but I often find it hard to sleep. I don’t often think of my film career — only in as much as my name can be important in influencing people. The most important thing for me isn’t fame, or seducing men: it’s being free to dedicate myself to protecting animals. But lots of things bother me: the pictures I’ve seen of animals being maltreated, everything I would like to change.

When I’ve had a hard day, I won’t fall asleep before 4 or 5am. I just can’t empty my head of the horrors.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_...icle1072649.ece

Brigitte Bardot is mourning the death of her billionaire ex-husband Gunter Sachs after he committed suicide at his home in Switzerland at the age of 78. The German filmmaker and photographer took his own life on Saturday (07May11) at his chalet in Gstaad, his son Rolf has confirmed. Reports suggest he shot himself. Sachs, the grandson of automobile mogul Wilhelm von Opel, was a trained mathematician and economist but found fame in the 1960s after turning his attention to making documentaries. A famed playboy during his youth, Sachs fell in love with French actress Bardot after meeting her in 1966 and famously commissioned a helicopter to fly over her home in Saint-Tropez and shower it with hundreds of redroses. They wed weeks later in Las Vegas; the marriage ended in divorce in1969. Bardot, who has since dedicated her life to fighting for animal rights, remained close to her third husband after their break-up and was informed of Sachs' death this weekend(07-08May11). A representative for Brigitte Bardot Foundation for the Welfare and Protection of Animals tells the AFP, "We called Gunter Sachs' private secretary who confirmed the suicide to us, but we have no details on the circumstances." Gunter Sachs, Brigitte Bardot & Danny Kaye toast the newlyweds, Hollywood, CA, July 1966

post-17383-1304901333_thumb.jpgpost-17383-1304901338_thumb.jpgpost-17383-1304901345_thumb.jpgpost-17383-1304901349_thumb.jpg

post-17383-1304901353_thumb.jpgpost-17383-1304901359_thumb.jpg

http://photo.wenn.com/index.php?action=qui...amp;version=int

Murió el fotógrafo alemán Gunter Sachs, ex esposo de Brigitte Bardot

El hombre de 78 años tuvo varios romances con estrellas del cine y también forjó amistades con artistas como Andy Warhol.

AP

Domingo 8 de Mayo de 2011 13:36

Gunter Sachs estuvo casado durante tres años con Brigitte Bardot.

Foto: EFE

GINEBRA.- El fotógrafo de origen alemán Gunter Sachs, conocido por su matrimonio con la actriz francesa Brigitte Bardot, cometió suicidio a sus 78 años, según informó hoy su familia, sin especificar cuándo murió.

Sachs nació en el seno de una acaudalada familia industrial en 1932 y usó su herencia para costear un estilo de vida glamoroso que fascinó a muchos en la Alemania de la posguerra. También se ganó un lugar en el mundo de la fotografía y la cinematografía.

Los tabloides alemanes publicaron extensas historias sobre sus amoríos con estrellas de cine y sus amistades con artistas de la talla de Andy Warhol.

A Sachs le sobreviven Bardot, con quien estuvo casado de 1966 a 1969, su tercera esposa Mirja Larsson y sus hijos Christian y Alexander, y su hijo Rolf de su primer matrimonio.

http://www.emol.com/noticias/magazine/deta...dnoticia=480374

Billionaire playboy Gunter Sachs commits suicide over 'illness A'

Legendary philanthropist once married to Brigitte Bardot

Agence France-Presse May 8, 2011 8:45 PM

Gunther Sachs, seen here with his wife Brigitte Bardot in London in 1967, wooed the French bombshell by hiring a helicopter to shower hundreds of roses on her villa on the French Riviera.

Photograph by: Getty Images

Legendary German-born playboy Gunter Sachs, a former husband of French bombshell Brigitte Bardot, killed himself at his Swiss chalet due to sickness, his family said Sunday. He was 78.

His relatives released a suicide note to Swiss media written by the swinging '60s celebrity and photographer in which he explained he took his life because of an illness he dubbed "A."

"The loss of mental control over my life was an undignified condition, which I decided to counter decisively," the letter signed by Sachs said. He called it the "no-hope illness A," Swiss news agency SDA reported.

Sachs added he had always regarded any "threat" he would face "as the only criteria that would lead me to bring my life to an end."

He outlined symptoms, such as forgetfulness, that appeared to be consistent with a condition like Alzheimer's.

His son, Rolf Sachs, confirmed the death to German celebrity magazine Bunte, and the German news weekly Focus said he had shot himself on Saturday.

Sachs was a veteran of the go-go 1960s who helped make the French Riviera resort Saint-Tropez a playground for rich and beautiful celebrities, such as film star Bardot, who was said to be devastated by the news.

"We called Gunter Sachs's private secretary who confirmed the suicide to us, but we have no details on the circumstances," an official at Bardot's animal rights foundation told AFP.

The source said Bardot "has been informed and is devastated. She had kept close ties with Gunter Sachs, who was a guest when we celebrated 20 years of the foundation."

Sachs, who was born in southern Germany, took Swiss citizenship in 1976.

His Vieux Chalet home, which overlooks the Swiss resort of Gstaad, was guarded by two security agents on Sunday, an AFP photographer said.

A billionaire philanthropist and art collector, Sachs was the grandson of the founder of car giant Opel and the third of Bardot's three husbands.

A few hours after meeting her for the first time he had a helicopter fly over La Madrague, her villa on the French Riviera, and shower it with hundreds of red roses.

"It's not every day that a man drops a tonne of roses in your yard," she later wrote.

The couple married a few weeks later on July 14, 1966, in Las Vegas. They divorced just over three years later.

Sachs had three sons and married a former Swedish model in 1969.

He lost his first wife to a medical error in 1958, the same year his father shot and killed himself.

"Gunter Sachs always knew how to enjoy life," wrote the respected Swiss newspaper Neue Zuercher Zeitung. "Those who knew him may very well believe that he wanted to end it quickly to cut short the suffering of old age."

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Billio...7988/story.html

File_201158133948.jpg 4748009.bin.jpg