Bellazon

Matilda Dods
Thumbnail

RafSecret

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Vogue Australia Interview

Model/musician Matilda Dods on high school, guitar chords and Australian fashion

post-67297-0-1446111639-45709_thumb.jpg
Meet the double threat.

Matilda Dods began modelling in January 2013 and by October, was in VogueAustralia. Byron Bay-born Dods was profiled along with four other rising Australian models in the October 2013 issue of the magazine. At the time, she had already met with Hedi Slimane of Saint Laurent and seen agents in Paris and New York. 

The 17-year-old is still in high school and already following a double career path into modelling and music. “I’m about to start my final year of school, so it’s difficult to get the grades that I know I’m capable of when I’m missing school for work,” she says. “But it’s worth it in the end.” 

Obviously, it was worth signing out of class to shoot the Strand Arcade’s spring/summer ‘14/’15 campaign. Dods will also perform an acoustic set of two self-penned songs at the Strand’s Evening With Our Designers on August 13 to a VIP crowd.

Behind the scenes on the Strand Arcade campaign shoot. 

“I’m really inspired by lyricists like Bob Dylan, Paul Simon and Ryan Adams. I’m also a huge Bowie fan,” Dods says of her musical inspirations. “Artists such as Debbie Harry from Blondie, Joan Jett and Lana Del Rey have also really influenced the sound of my music.” 

Dods has inherited her talents in equal parts from her parents; her mother was a model for two decades, while her father is very musical. “When I was 11, I demanded that my dad teach me to read chord charts so that I could teach myself guitar and start writing songs. And I’ve been writing ever since!”

But back to fashion and Dods is already showing signs of a model-off-duty style that’s suitably rock ‘n’ roll. “I wear a lot of a brand called Afends, out of Byron. They were the first brand I ever modelled for and are like family to me. I live in their faux leather Rock and Roll leather jacket,” she says. 

As for her favourite piece on the Strand Arcade Shoot? “I love the red Alex Perry gown. It was the perfect Jessica Rabbit red. I felt like such a vixen in it.” 

More at: http://www.vogue.com.au/fashion/news/model+musician+matilda+dods+on+high+school+guitar+chords+and+australian+fashion+,32153

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...