H&M - Top model secrets

OPHELIE GUILLERMAND

CITY: New York

AGENCY: Women Management

DISCOVERED: First in high school, at age 17 – then at University in Lyon

INSTAGRAM: @ophelieguillermand

Nuiv4FYl.jpg

PHOTO: BENJAMIN VNUK/LUNDLUND

This model loves a good party, knows the secrets behind French beauty and never watches TV. Meet H&M favourite Ophélie Guillermand.

Maybe it’s all that mountain air that’s the secret behind Ophélie Guillermand’s fresh beauty. After all, she grew up in the French Alps. (At least we’d like to believe so…)

After she finished high school, Guillermand was determined to continue her science studies at university – she even turned down the first modelling agents who approached her, and moved to Lyon, the capital of the French pharmaceutical industry, instead. But then she met an agent who was smart enough to offer her a contract in New York. Life-loving Guillermand jumped at the chance and the rest is, as you say, model history.

In her breakout season in 2013, Ophélie Guillermand walked for everyone from Alexander Wang to Céline. Then Steven Meisel shot her for Prada’s spring campaign. In fashion, it almost doesn’t get any bigger. Most recently, you saw Guillermand on the star-studded Balmain x H&M catwalk in New York. Read on for her top model secrets!

MY FAVOURITE PHOTOGRAPHER IS…
”Steven Meisel – he’s a legend and he changed my life!”

IN MY CAREER, I AM MOST PROUD OVER…
”Having started from the bottom, to now collaborating with the most renowned photographers and brands globally.”

MY MOST MEMORABLE SHOOT OR SHOW WAS…
”The most memorable show for me was Alexander Wang during S/S14, as it was my first major show, my first season in New York. My most memorable shoot would have to be for Vogue Italia’s December cover that same year. It was my first time working with Steven Meisel, and my first cover ever – such a memorable moment!”

THE SONG/ARTIST WHO ALWAYS GETS ME GOING AT A SHOOT IS…
”Anything hip hop!”

MY MODEL ICON IS…
”Christy Turlington or Gisele Bündchen.” 

MY BEAUTY SECRET IS…
”The French pharmacy brands, they have the best natural creams, without fragrance, and at a great price. I recommend Embryolisse a lot in winter, Avène or La Roche Posay in summer. Makeup-wise, just a bit of highlighter on some specific zones of the face (nose, top of the lips, chin, top of the cheeks, inside corner of the eyes).”

I KEEP IN SHAPE BY…
”Working out! Many times a week. I love running on the riverside of NYC, and to do pilates, yoga. But I also like to play tennis when I need to do something a bit more fun and active. As I travel a lot, I’ve even organized a workout programme that I can do in any hotel room.”

FOR A QUICK HAIR FIX, I…
”Do nothing. I like my hair fresh and natural, with little waves. I always wash my hair the night before and let it dry naturally. This makes my hair wavy, and doesn’t overdry it. A blow out makes my fine hair straight and flat.”

MY DE-STRESS TRICK IS…
”A good party! It’s important to play as hard as you work. Oh, and I obviously never say no to a massage.”

MY SECRET TALENT IS…
”…maybe that should remain a secret!”

I SMELL LIKE…
”It depends on my mood, but usually either Burberry Original or the new Jasmin Rouge by Tom Ford.”

MY FAVOURITE OFF-DUTY LOOK IS…
”A good pair of comfortable, vintage Levi’s or Acne Studios jeans, and the perfect over-sized t-shirt.”

RIGHT NOW, I AM OBSESSED WITH…
”Christmas! I love the holiday season.”

THE BEST BEAUTY TIP I’VE EVER RECEIVED IS…
”Less is most definitely more.”

MY FAVOURITE RESTAURANT IS…
”Oh so many! Every time I’m in Paris, I end my trip with a fruits de mer plate (the sea food platter) at Brasserie Flottes, rue Cambon. I highly recommend that!”

FOR BREAKFAST, I ALWAYS HAVE…
”Oatmeal with soy milk and berries.”

FOR A LONG FLIGHT, I ALWAYS PACK…
”A good hydrating cream! Ear plugs, eye masks, a big warm sweater, and a bottle of water.”

WHEN I HAVE SOME FREE TIME, I…
”Free time? What is that? When I have some downtime, I like to workout, spend time with friends, read fashion magazines, and stay in bed (which sometimes is the best thing)!”

THE BEST ADVICE I’VE EVER RECEIVED IS…
”You have to believe in yourself!”

MY FAVOURITE THING TO SHOP FOR WHEN I AM AWAY IS…
”Any unique type of style or food from the different countries I visit!”

BEING A MODEL, I’VE LEARNT…
”Communication and tolerance. Meeting new and different people every day is such an amazing experience. It teaches you to listen, and through that a different way of thinking. Experiencing people and cultures different from my own is the best way to learn about life itself! It’s taught me to accept and to enjoy the differences.”

POST-MODELLING, I WOULD LIKE TO…
”Continue enjoying my life, as much as I am right now.” 

MY FAVOURITE TV SHOW IS…
”To be honest, I don’t own a TV.”

MY GOAL IN LIFE IS…
”To be happy and proud of what I have done, while always striving to continue to grow.”

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...