Bellazon

Coco Rocha
Thumbnail

BubbleBubble

• 2 weeks later...

Harper's Bazaar.

Coco Rocha talks about posing, confidence & more

post-86567-0-1446186576-52639_thumb.jpg

The model participated in a conversation and live drawing session at Parsons.

By Kristen Bateman on Dec 9, 2014.

From playing muse to Zac Posen and snagging international magazine covers, as well being one of the few models mentioned a Kanye West song, Coco Rocha is going strong.

This weekend following a conversation with Dean Simon Collins, a pregnant Coco Rocha stepped onstage at Parsons The New School for Design and posed for 5 minute sessions over the course of an hour while fashion students at the prestigious school gathered to sketch her. The occasion was in celebration of her latest book and app, Study of Pose: 1,000 Poses—which acts as a new encyclopedia for every sort of fashion model pose in existence. Photographer Steven Sebring, who shot Rocha for the book, also attended the event, and instagrammed some of the best moments. Here, the highlights of the conversation.

On her new book: “In the 90s, Steven Sebring mentioned he wanted to do something like an encyclopedia or reference book for 1,000 poses, but he couldn’t find quite the right model to do it. He met me, and I’m the model who is known for posing.”

Models are important: “A lot of people might think the job of a model isn’t necessary anymore, but just like an actor, singer—how they make you feel a certain way—how watching a dancer gives you emotion, models can do the exact same thing to many different people.”

On Gaultier’s model mistake: “He wrote the forward for the book, and mentions that one of the shows that he thought was the worst in his career was when he did a show without models, and just a conveyor belt with hangers or dolls.”

On models with confidence: “You can definitely notice a girl who has confidence versus one who’s thinking, ‘how are they judging me?’”

On the casting process: “As a model, we come in the room and we are casted just on our looks. I think I’m funny, I think I’m clever. But in the end they’re picking me for my cheekbones or if I’m tall enough.”

Her favorite pose ever: “One of my favorite poses, was when working with Steven Meisel. It was one of my first photo shoots with him and we were trying to get the cover of Italian Vogue. Then, I literally took my Balenciaga hat, pulled it down and gave a rolling eye, ugh face, crossed legs on the floor. And lo and behold, that was the cover of Italian Vogue.”

Source: http://www.harpersbazaar.com/fashion/fashion-models/coco-rocha-on-parsons-panel

Coco at Parsons.

post-86567-0-1446186576-53504_thumb.jpg post-86567-0-1446186576-54083_thumb.jpg post-86567-0-1446186576-54611_thumb.jpg post-86567-0-1446186576-55781_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Coco has posted a photo on Instagram with the following remarks:

15 years old, one of my first test shoots in New York, 10 years ago. Take me back to this hair length please?! ?? #throwbackthursday #tbt Instagram, 2014-12-26

x17QWBU3.jpg
bazaforums

Sunday Stories with Coco Rocha.

In today’s installment of #SundayStories I discuss falling on the runway, the infallible Natasha Poly and why Balenciaga once had to wash their runway with Diet Coke.

Early in my career I was asked to lead the girls down the runway for the finale of the Missoni show. Some of the older girls asked me to not walk the entire length of the runway but to go half-way and then turn back so that the finale would be done earlier (Lazy models). Eager to fit in, I listened to them and foolishly turned back just halfway down the runway. As I did the unthinkable happened - I tripped on my over sized pants and fell flat on my face to an audible gasp from the audience. Backstage I was mortified but the models comforted me telling me how it eventually happens to the best of us. One of the last to come over was Natasha Poly who gave me a pat on the back and told me ominously “Its ok Coco…. but I’ve never fallen… and I never will”. Off she walked.

Fast forward to the next year, this time at the Balenciaga show where I was so excited to have the honor of opening the show. At rehearsal I went out on the runway and made no more than a few steps before I fell flat on my face. I remember thinking “oh my goodness, they’re going to replace me if I don’t get my act together!”. Right after me, the second girl also fell, and the third and the forth…. Every single girl slipped and fell on the very slippery runway except… you guessed it… Natasha Poly! It turned out the runway was a big problem for the models and there was talk of canceling the show as a the last resort. Then someone came up with the genius idea to wash the entire floor with Coca-Cola to make it more sticky on our shoes. It worked, and we all made it safely down the runway when it was showtime. 

To this day I’m pretty sure Natasha Poly has never fallen on a runway!

Source: http://oh-so-coco.tumblr.com/post/106432481672/natashacoke

What a bitchy comment! :angry:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Excerpt from the book:Models of Influence: 50 Women Who Reset the Course of Fashion by Nigel Barker

"That face of hers is unusual by modeling standards: she's angular, with relatively thin lips, a turned-up nose, and a kind of elfin appearance. It's how she animates what's she's got that sets her apart."

zimbio

• 2 weeks later...

The Washington Post.

Five Myths About Modelling

By Coco Rocha

With New York Fashion Week approaching, a small army of models, editors and buyers, plus anyone with a blog, will be descending on the city. Along with the familiar stomp of girls down the runway come common assumptions about the fashion industry that have held sway since the time of the supermodels. Ten years in the industry has given me an eyeful of what really happens behind the scenes. Let’s debunk some myths about modeling.

1. Models make a lot of money.

Between the yearly Forbes list of the world’s highest-paid uber-models and the huge amounts of money spent by designers at Fashion Week (a 2011 Marc Jacobs show was estimated to have cost $1 million), it would seem most models are swimming in cash. “We don’t wake up for less than $10,000 a day,” model Linda Evangelista told Vogue in 1990. She probably didn’t — Evangelista’s career was marked by multimillion-dollar contracts.

But the median yearly wage for models in the United States, based on 2012 census data, is a mere $18,750, and fashion’s main event is unlikely to contribute much to that balance. Hundreds of relatively unknown models will fly to New York hoping to book a coveted spot in a runway show, which can pay $250 to $1,000 depending on the show and the model — a stipend that’s likely to cover what the model spent on travel and accommodations. Some Fashion Week hopefuls won’t walk in any shows at all, and others will end up in the red, even after walking in several shows.

Compounding the problem, some designers pay their models in clothes instead of cash. The trade is even worse than it seems: A model might receive clothing that’s damaged or several years old. I was once paid with a skirt with a broken zipper, which did little to help me make rent that month. But the exposure can be invaluable: International magazine editors sit in the front rows, and a few models might get booked for a designer’s campaign immediately after walking in a show. The runway can jump-start a career but not a savings account. After my second year of runway work, walking for almost every major fashion house, I was $30,000 in debt.

2. Models are glorified clothes hangers.

Runway girls are often compared to “human coat hangers.” In other words: Models are just modes of transportation for garments. Even Twiggy used the phrase to dismiss her groundbreaking career, declaring when she retired: “You can’t be a clothes hanger for your entire life!”

But as long as there have been models, there have been muses. A model was the reason the painter picked up a brush, the sculptor a chisel. Just as not every actress is Meryl Streep, models are not all equally skilled or gifted. The best are translators, a visual representation of the story the designer wants to tell. Last year I published my first book, “Study of Pose,” an anthology of poses inspired by fashion history, art history and pop culture. I wanted to show that a model’s repertoire extends beyond duck-face selfies or blank runway stares. For the past 60 years, models such as Carmen Dell’Orefice, Linda Evangelista and more recently Karlie Kloss have helped solidify modeling as an art form by collaborating with designers and photographers. Top photographer Mario Testino said of working with models with strong personalities: “I think that you can’t do it any other way. Because then the pictures are nothing.”

Are some models clothes hangers? Certainly, just as some singers can’t reach the high notes. But the best have always had the talent to make us feel something.

3. Models are catty with one another.

Decades of media coverage of “catwalk catfights” — the televised “drama” between Tyra Banks and Naomi Campbell, the Elle Macpherson/Heidi Klum “rivalry,” a “feud” between Chanel Iman and Jourdan Dunn, Carol Alt “slamming” Kate Upton — is enough to make anyone think that the modeling industry is rife with bad behavior and bad people.

Certainly some successful models are divas, and the field is competitive. But in my experience, the models who have endured for a decade or more are thoughtful, hardworking and humble. Most models start working at age 14 or 15 and go through a form of “fashion high school,” living in cramped close quarters. The sleepover-like atmosphere produces some squabbles, sure, but everyone grows up.

Models frequently collaborate on projects off the runway and are quick to help one another. In 2011, Caroline Trentini and the legendary Iman gave up a day’s work to pose in the campaign for my jewelry collection with the charity Senhoa, which supports victims of human trafficking in Cambodia. Recently supermodel Christy Turlington heard that I was pregnant and asked me to participate in a campaign for her charity Every Mother Counts, which works to increase access to maternal care in the United States and abroad. Far from being catty, models care a great deal about one another and the world around us, even if our rivalries receive disproportionate attention.

4. You get to keep the clothes.

It’s a perennial feature of high- and low-brow publications: the “peek inside a model’s closet,” in which People offers a tour of Alyssa Miller’s wardrobe or the Coveteur photographs Carolyn Murphy’s belongings — glowing shots of Alexander Wang gowns and Prada treasures, some of them gifts from Miuccia Prada herself. It’s enough to make anyone think a model’s closet brims with fabulous frocks, taken from shoots or gifted from designers.

However, models almost never get to keep the clothes they wear on the runway. The garments are usually one-of-a-kind samples created days and hours before the show and have to be immediately packed up and presented to international buyers. A model is more likely to be accused of stealing clothes (we’re always the first suspected) than to be given clothing after a show — when a pair of shoes from a show I walked in went missing, the designer’s team called my agency to see if I had “accidentally” taken off with them.

Once a model is established and starts being captured by paparazzi in her “street style looks,” she might receive gifted items from designers, since that can mean publicity for the brand and the model. But the typical working model is far from that status.

5. Models don’t eat.

Eating disorders are real, and they do affect the modeling industry. In 2006, Brazilian model Ana Carolina Reston died at age 21, weighing just 80 pounds. A former British model told the Telegraph in 2013, “My modelling career lasted for three years and . . . I’ve had anorexia for eight.”

Sad as such cases are, in my 10 years of living and working with models around the world, I’ve seen that the majority are not resorting to extreme or unhealthy means to keep their physique — they are simply naturally thin. And the industry now has its own checks and balances: Vogue will not photograph models who appear to have eating disorders; catwalk models with a body mass index below a certain level are banned from runways in Italy and Spain.

Like many women outside the industry, models do watch their diets, but they enjoy food as much as anyone — take a look at Chrissy Teigen’s food-centric blog. When I go to events and finish my plate, people often comment about how “amazed” they are that I eat, as if I could live, work and keep up a crazy schedule traveling the world on zero calories a day. At various points in my career, I’ve been called both too thin and too fat — so I will eat that hamburger, thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Every Mother Counts.

About to give birth, full of projects and strikingly beautiful...

"Baby Conran and I are working on a special Belly Art Project for Christy Turlington’s ‘Every Mother Counts’. Can’t wait to show you all the fun we had on set today". (February, 27).

post-86567-0-83266500-1426549397_thumb.j