Thumbnail

Michael*

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Daily Mail

Making her royal entrance: Jenna Coleman swaps the Tardis for a horse-drawn carriage as she wows in a gown and crown on the set of her Queen Victoria TV drama

By JOANNA CRAWLEY FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 19:02 EST, 9 November 2015

She's filmed her final scenes as Clara Oswald in Doctor Who. And on Sunday it was onto a very regal new challenge, as Jenna Coleman was on set for her anticipated new TV drama depicting the early reign of Queen Victoria. The 29-year-old actress was filming in York over the weekend for the ITV drama, slipping into character with the help of a beautiful white lace gown and huge crown. 

In her first role since Doctor Who, Jenna plays the British monarch from her ascension to the throne at the tender age of 18 through to her courtship and marriage to Prince Albert.  A former RAF base at the Yorkshire village of Church Fenton has been converted into studios to film Victoria for the next seven months. And on Sunday the actress made a very regal entrance onto set, looking magnificent in a full skirted, off-the-shoulder gown with lace detail.

The star's tiny waist was accentuated by a glitzy sash belt, while further dazzling jewels were strung around her neck.

The royal costume was topped off by a glittering crown, perched on top of Jenna's glossy dark locks, which were styled into a chic up do. Surrounded by costumed extras, and crew members who ensured her dress remained pristine, Jenna climbed into a horse-drawn carriage, before being whisked away as the cameras rolled. 

BAFTA-nominated actor Rufus Sewell was also spotted on set on Sunday, standing alongside Jenna in a smart coat and shirt.

The English actor, who has himself played a royal on screen in the 2003 TV drama Charles II: The Power and The Passion, has been cast as Lord Melbourne, Victoria's first prime minister and close confidant.

The pair's friendship became a popular source of gossip that threatened to destabilise the Government – angering both Tory and Whigs alike. 

Victoria will begin with a 90-minute episode followed by seven one-hour episodes. The series has been created and written by acclaimed novelist Daisy Goodwin, in her screenwriting debut, who will also serve as executive producer alongside Dan McCulloch (Indian Summers) and Damien Timmer (Poldark). Torchwood star Eve Myles and The Sarah Jane Adventures actor Tommy-Lawrence Knight will also be joining the stellar line-up. Jenna confirmed in September that she would be leaving her intergalactic adventures behind when the current series of Doctor Who comes to an end, three years after she first appeared in the show.

Confessing it had been an 'emotional' time for her, she said during a BBC Radio 1 chat: 'I have left the Tardis - it's happened. I've filmed my last scenes. 'She added that she had a lot to learn before she started filming for her new role. 'I am about to start work on Queen Victoria,' she gushed.  'I have four weeks to become a Queen! It's ITV. I need to learn to ride a horse. I need to learn to waltz, play Beethoven. It's really fun.' Speaking at the announcement of her role, Jenna gushed: 'I am delighted to be cast as Queen Victoria in this ambitious drama of her life. She is a vivid, strong, inspirational and utterly fascinating woman in British history and I can't wait to tell her story.'

post-16808-0-84910100-1447172880_thumb.j

post-16808-0-93482100-1447172881_thumb.j

post-16808-0-67830200-1447172888_thumb.j

post-16808-0-68147500-1447172891_thumb.j

post-16808-0-02815500-1447172894_thumb.j

post-16808-0-34568400-1447172898_thumb.j

post-16808-0-83713400-1447172900_thumb.j

post-16808-0-20778800-1447172903_thumb.j

post-16808-0-49015000-1447172905_thumb.j

post-16808-0-30551200-1447172910_thumb.j

post-16808-0-71654500-1447172924_thumb.j

Daily Mail

FIRST LOOK: Jenna Coleman transforms into a young Queen Victoria in new still for upcoming ITV period drama 

By KATE THOMAS FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 06:20 EST, 21 October 2015

She's following up her star turn in Doctor Who with the lead role in new ITV drama Victoria.

And Jenna Coleman can be seen in costume as a young Queen Victoria in the first image from the upcoming period drama, which follows the early life of the British monarch from her ascension to the throne at the tender age of 18 through to her courtship and marriage to Prince Albert.

The 29-year-old beauty cuts a regal figure in a beautiful blue gown with gold detailing and bouffant sleeves in the sneak peak still from the ambitious eight-part programme. With her hair coiffed in an elaborate updo complete with braided bun and ringlets, Jenna looks a far cry from her role as Clara Oswald in the BBC sci-fi show that made her a household name.'I am delighted to be cast as Queen Victoria in this ambitious drama of her life', Jenna commented. 'She is a vivid, strong, inspirational and utterly fascinating woman in British history and I can't wait to tell her story.'

It has also been confirmed that BAFTA-nominated actor Rufus Sewell has been cast as Lord Melbourne, Victoria’s first prime minister.

The pair's friendship became a popular source of gossip that threatened to destabilise the Government – angering both Tory and Whigs alike. 

Torchwood star Eve Myles and The Sarah Jane Adventures actor Tommy-Lawrence Knight will also be joining the stellar line-up.

The series has been created and written by acclaimed novelist Daisy Goodwin, in her screenwriting debut, who will also serve as executive producer alongside Dan McCulloch (Indian Summers) and Damien Timmer (Poldark).

Further casting is underway for the drama, which starts filming in locations around the North of England this October.

Jenna only confirmed last month that she would be leaving her intergalactic adventures behind when the current series of Doctor Who comes to an end, three years after she first appeared in the show. Confessing it had been an 'emotional' time for her, she said during a BBC Radio 1 chat: 'I have left the Tardis - it's happened. I've filmed my last scenes.'

post-16808-0-68985800-1447173409_thumb.j

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...