Bellazon

Roberta Chirko
Thumbnail

nanook351

Actually, the photographer's name was Oliviero Toscani...He famously photographed and was creative director of all those Benetton ads in the '80s/'90s, and lots of her work in American and French Elle ( and I wish there was more of it on this thread! Particularly the French Elle stuff. Hasn't anyone got those?I'd be most grateful!)

Does anyone remember's Roberta's fantastic appearance in that 1987 Bryan Ferry Video 'The Right Stuff?' She was stunning in it!

here's the vid on Youtube:

Roberta biography

Roberta was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA and she was discovered whilst working in a shopping mall restaurant, and later was noticed by photographer Philippe Toscani.

She has done Advertisements for name like Christian Dior, Esprit, Iceberg, i-Blues, Laurèl, Planet, River Island, Wella, Trussardi, Louis Feraud, Per Spook, Dillard`s, and have been seen on magazine covers like L'Officiel, Elle, Vogue, Mademoiselle.

She is married to former John Mellencamp band member, Toby Mayer`s and they have one child together, Cash (born 1999) �€“ I think

Her husband, Toby Mayer fall in love her when he so her pictures on a magazine.

(This is what I found, not much :idk:

Is there someone that has more information about her?)

I found this about Roberta Chirko Myers:

http://villagegreenpreschool.com/bio.html

Roberta Chirko Myers grew up in the western suburbs of Chicago. She then traveled extensively as a fashion model and lived in Paris and New York City from 1983 till 1992. She met her future husband who introduced her to Brown County, IN., and she immediately fell in love with the landscape and the people who lived there. When she and her husband started a family they decided to put down roots in Brown County. Roberta enrolled her son in the Village Green Preschool in 2002. She found that she adored being around children and that children adored her, fondly referring to her as Miss Bert. She was offered an assistant position and accepted it gladly. Roberta's passion shows in her eagerness to help children in a playful, positive way. The 2009/2010 school year will be Roberta's fifth year with Village Green Preschool.

Welcome Tyra!

Roberta was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and it looks like Pittsburgh is very proud of this ...Never heard of Chicago.

Oliviero "found" her in the late eighties and was crazy for her.

I will try in the coming days to know more about this musician, Myers-Mayer or whatever.

I loved Roberta, I think her career is over because she was essentially a model that expressed herself through the lens of a photographer.the models of the generation coming after were more complete ,could do almost all-there were some exceptions :ninja: - the catwalk shows.This helps to put an end to many careers:Williams,Chirko et cetera.

I'm also really puzzled by that date: 1983. It seems very strange that her career has begun so early.

Thanks again for your contribution, Roberta was a very important model: in France and Italy was literally adored.

I was looking around for information regarding the present whereabouts of Roberta. I figured the article's information was given by Mrs. Chirko Myers herself but I could be wrong. From what I read about Toby Myers, he had been familiar with Roberta's name and image from the 80's when he would see her on the covers of magazines, which would make sense since she did have a strong cover presence, especially American Elle. Around this time frame, Myers was a member of John Cougar Mellencamp's session band. It just happened that when John Cougar Mellencamp had met Elaine Irwin and had introduced her to his band members, that it occured to Myers to ask about Roberta. According to Elaine, she and Roberta had been roomates in New York City when they were both on the come-up and that there was still some contact between the 2 models.

So accounts vary as to Roberta's story and it seems that information in second-hand as there is no direct quotes from Roberta herself. As to where she originally came from, the span of her modeling career, or whatever comes up in internet searches, the information could be right or wrong. In the case of her husband's account, I would take his word for it. But still, it was nice to know that she did something with her life that gave it some meaning beyond the smoke and mirrors that modeling is known for.

HiTlover,

Thanks again for the interesting information.I hope you will find more. I have some catalog that seems to document an activity of Roberta even after 1992.

If you have any information about Susan Miner and Michelle Stevens you I'd be grateful.especially Michelle seems to have disappeared without a trace.

Is the Susan Miner you are talking the one who was in that famous Revlon unforgettable women with Janice Dickinson and that Japanese model in the 80's?

Yes,Kelly,yes,I take care of her thread, She is my love.other models were better, I like them all, but I love Susie.

• 4 weeks later...

Roberta grew up in Washington, Pennsylvania. She graduated high school with my sibling, from Trinity High School - class of 1984. I was also in high school at the time there. If I remember correctly, there was a modeling search event going on at the mall. As I remember it, Roberta didn't enter but was in the crowd. I believe she was in her senior year when this happened. She was discoverd then.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...