Bellazon

The Punisher

Jimmy Changa

post-1744-1140380574_thumb.jpg

I bought The Punisher DVD yesterday. No, not the stupid Dolf Lundgren one, but the excellent Thomas Jane one. A very cool movie, and the extras on the DVD are great behind the scenes stuff.

I wanted to also share something that I am excited about....The Punisher 2 is in production with Thomas Jane as Frank Castle again. :clap:

There are a three reasons for your liking of this movie probably (even though it was done on a small budget).

1. No CGI at all.

2. The Punisher is not your typical superhero. He is not a mutant and has no special powers. He is an ex-special ops soldier turned vigilante. Where else do you find a "superhero" that kills the bad guys?

3. Thomas did alot of his own stunts.

OK a fourth maybe...

4. Thomas Jane and Rebecca Romijn :)

• 2 weeks later...

That movie was HORRIBLE.

Such a thoughtful post. Damn, 3 posts and you are already making such convincing arguments. I think I'll throw away my DVD now. :laugh:

did you want me to explain why I thought it was horrible? I could. I just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in there as to my thoughts on the movie as a whole. Basically to each their own, but I found the movie quite boring, and slow. The guy who plays Punisher didnt remind me of punisher in the least (im a comic book buff). I didn't think dolph lundgren (sp?) looked like him either, but I found the story to be somewhat better, or at least didnt bore me as much.

I appreciate your comments. I agree with the "to each their own" philosophy, so I'm not at all saying you must like this version of the story (although I still think you are crazy :laugh: )

Well, I don't think it's possible to find anyone who could look like Frank Castle..I mean, he is a comic book character after all. Translating it to RL takes some "creativity" really. If we were to even try to find someone with that kind of build, we might as well cast The Rock (Dwayne Johnson). I mean, he is a good actor and might have done real well.

As for the story, I found this one to show Frank as being alot "smarter" and creative...not just talented with his guns and explosives.

I appreciate your comments. I agree with the "to each their own" philosophy, so I'm not at all saying you must like this version of the story (although I still think you are crazy :laugh: )

Well, I don't think it's possible to find anyone who could look like Frank Castle..I mean, he is a comic book character after all. Translating it to RL takes some "creativity" really. If we were to even try to find someone with that kind of build, we might as well cast The Rock (Dwayne Johnson). I mean, he is a good actor and might have done real well.

As for the story, I found this one to show Frank as being alot "smarter" and creative...not just talented with his guns and explosives.

his skin color wouldn't have been very frank castle-ish. im not saying that as a racial thing. frank castle is a white guy. I know they made Kingpin black in daredevil, but to make frank castle somoan/hawaiian/whatever he is? It woulda been cool to make this movie back in the day w/ Stallone. The only bad thing is Stallone's height. Although they coulda fixed that w/ angles and such.

Having him being smarter is one thing, but the draw for the comics was his talent w/ guns and explosives. I just think the story was dark, and hard to get into. It just didnt seem right to me. It seemed like a B movie. It tanked in the theatres too didnt it?

As far as Dwayne is concerned, I guess I didn't consider his ethnicity to be a big factor. At least I would consider it so. It's not like I suggested Mr. T. I am so glad they didn't try it with Stallone though. The role NEEDED to be done with someone not so connected to another character (in order to avoid serious comparisons), like Stallone is with Rocky and Rambo.

In watching "The Making of..." extras on The Punisher DVD you find out that this movie did lack a decent budget and had major time constraints. There was an entire subplot cut from the movie and the intro showing Frank's time in Desert Storm (they couldn't use Vietnam this time around) had to be scrapped due to budget. Lots of stuff like that so in a way yes, it IS a B Movie. We can only hope The Punisher 2 gets more money & time.

As far as Dwayne is concerned, I guess I didn't consider his ethnicity to be a big factor. At least I would consider it so. It's not like I suggested Mr. T. I am so glad they didn't try it with Stallone though. The role NEEDED to be done with someone not so connected to another character (in order to avoid serious comparisons), like Stallone is with Rocky and Rambo.

In watching "The Making of..." extras on The Punisher DVD you find out that this movie did lack a decent budget and had major time constraints. There was an entire subplot cut from the movie and the intro showing Frank's time in Desert Storm (they couldn't use Vietnam this time around) had to be scrapped due to budget. Lots of stuff like that so in a way yes, it IS a B Movie. We can only hope The Punisher 2 gets more money & time.

i dont care about the ethnicity factor, but to make it more realistic they gotta at least make it a white guy haha. I hear what you're saying about stallone, but if it was made back then he would have been a good choice. who else was big back then? schwarzenneger? his accent wouldnt fly. how about Brian Bosworth, but they dye his hair? that'd be amusing. Its interesting to know that they cut a lot of stuff. I never checked the extras stuff cuz i was so happy the movie was OVER haha. They're making a 2nd one? Interesting. I wonder if they'll give it more time/money after it tanked.

sorry to go off-topic, but what about ghost rider? i guess since it hasnt been put out yet, and its been done for a LONG time now, it must be CRAP. I mean Nicholas Cage as GHOST RIDER? I'm anxious for x3, and for spiderman 3 as well. I'm also hopeful for a daredevil 2. I enjoyed the 1st one (not many did). I heard they're making a fantastic 4 part 2, so im anxious for that as well. the movie wasnt great, but it was good enough. plus looking at jessica alba a lot can't hurt (into the blue was good for that same reason)

Punisher 2: I'm sure it's getting more money this time. I bet the video sales did well enough to warrant this.

The X-Men series is by far my favorite, though FF could surely do well now that all the characters are fully set-up. I was never really into Ghost Rider as a comic so I don't much care about the movie...although I will check it out when it's released (heck, Eva Mendes is going to be in it :drool: ) For some reason I just didn't get into Spiderman 2....can't put my finger on the reason yet though. Hope 3 is good.

Punisher 2: I'm sure it's getting more money this time. I bet the video sales did well enough to warrant this.

The X-Men series is by far my favorite, though FF could surely do well now that all the characters are fully set-up. I was never really into Ghost Rider as a comic so I don't much care about the movie...although I will check it out when it's released (heck, Eva Mendes is going to be in it :drool: ) For some reason I just didn't get into Spiderman 2....can't put my finger on the reason yet though. Hope 3 is good.

yeah i'd have to agree about x-men myself. However, which do you think was better, 1 or 2? I myself though 2 was MUCH better, and I find a lot of people saying 2 was much better. I'm really interested in seeing how FF turns out because I always enjoyed the comic books. I think x-men, FF, spiderman, and some others could easily make 5+ parts using so many diff cool stories. Yeah Eva makes it even more worthwhile, but its been in post production and "in the can" for a LONG time now. I guess they realized it sucks. i hear ya on spiderman 2. I mean it was good, but the first one was definitely better. I think thats due to learning the story of how things went down for him. I thoroughly enjoy all the comic book movies on some level because its cool to see a MOVIE acted out from a comic book. I wanna see a wolverine movie! I wanna see spidey vs. venom, and a lot of that mc farlane series from 298 to 328 (yes, former comic book nerd here haha). I hear they are, or are thinking about working on a new superman movie. I'm not sure how I feel about that yet. A BETTER capt america movie would be good.

I could babble on forever about this stuff haha :whistle:

I could see Punisher and Daredevil mixing it up...or maybe Spiderman vs. Wolverine. Now those would be some classic shit.

It's a hard choice between two X-men movies. The first set up the characters so well AND gave great action, so in that it was superior. X2 didn't have to mess with the character introduction too much...just two or three people. I like them both.

Wolverine: I don't think this Wolverine (Hugh Jackman) is strong enough to carry a whole movie, but that's just me. I was a little disappointed with him being cast, but keeping him with the ensemble makes it decent.

I could see Punisher and Daredevil mixing it up...or maybe Spiderman vs. Wolverine. Now those would be some classic shit.

It's a hard choice between two X-men movies. The first set up the characters so well AND gave great action, so in that it was superior. X2 didn't have to mess with the character introduction too much...just two or three people. I like them both.

Wolverine: I don't think this Wolverine (Hugh Jackman) is strong enough to carry a whole movie, but that's just me. I was a little disappointed with him being cast, but keeping him with the ensemble makes it decent.

that'd be cool, but hard to do. it'd have to be the right story.

yeah, that could be it. I just wasn't feeling X2 as much. That must be the reason? I think developing the characters is what I dig the most because it brings what I've read to LIFE. make sense?

I think he's good as wolverine, but you might be right about him carrying a whole movie. They'd have to have the right story/cast for it. We don't need another punisher. :whistle: