Bellazon

Victoria Lee
Thumbnail

• 2 weeks later...

Victoria Lee Q&A: How a country girl caught the eye of local and international labels

Born and raised in country NSW, Victoria Lee was discovered when she was 16 and has been based in New York for the last five years.

The 27-year-old was announced as the newest ambassador for David Jones just days before she made her debut for Victoria's Secret last November.

You grew up in a country town, Narrandera. Did you find it difficult to adjust to the world of international modelling?

It was probably the hardest thing for me to get used to. As much as I loved the people that I was working with, I really struggled not seeing my family. 

Does New York feel like home now?

As much as it can be. I really made an effort to create a little sanctuary for myself in New York so I wouldn't be wasting my time. For now I'm really enjoying it, but Australia is where I want to base myself long term.

How much has your life changed since being made DJs ambassador and making your debut for Victoria's Secret?

It's been a whirlwind, but I've enjoyed absolutely every moment of it. Victoria's Secret has been a goal of mine for a very long time. Being a David Jones ambassador is equally important and amazing to me.

Are you excited about their upcoming autumn/winter show?

One of the first highlights of my modelling career was being confirmed to walk in one of the David Jones collection launches, so to be coming back as an ambassador is quite surreal. 

What are they key trends for the new season that you're into?

Exploring the ladylike and sophisticated styles but in a less traditional sense, so combining colours and textures and fabrics and patterns, and taking more of a risk. 

What labels do you like?

Camilla and Marc, Zimmerman, Christopher Esber, Dion Lee, Carla Zampatti. Chloe and Yves St Laurent are the [international] brands I gravitate towards.

What's your personal style when not working?

I'm quite busy during the day, so I like to be comfortable but put together – I hope!

Your top beauty secret?

Making skincare a priority. That means always using sunscreen, always making sure your skin is clean and always drinking a lot of water. 

What are your goals for the rest of your career?

Down the track I want to expand into my own business. I get inspiration from people such as Megan Gale and Elle Macpherson, amazing career women in this industry who have created businesses.

How do you chill out when not working?

I love to spend time with my family. In Australia I love to go to the beach. In New York I find the little pockets of nature in the concrete jungle.

smh.com.au

1516849204354.png 1516849454929.png 1516849723692.png 1516957403923.jpg

Getting to know rising star Victoria Lee

M e e t  Q u e e n  V i c t o r i a

Behind this 27-year-old’s overnight success you’ll find a decade-long modelling career – years of fronting campaigns for brands like Seafolly and modelling for nearly every major magazine in the country.

In November last year, however, everything changed. In the space of just a few days, she walked her debut Victoria’s Secret runway show in Shanghai (“exhilarating”) and was announced the new David Jones ambassador (“an honour”).

Hailing from Narrandera, a small town on the Murrumbidgee River halfway between Sydney and Melbourne, Victoria Lee is as down to earth as they come.

Here are 10 facts of life according to this superstar in the making.

• CONFIDENCE comes from within. Being happy and comfortable in your own skin.
  • HEALTH is all about balance, consistency and looking after yourself in a holistic way.
  • FEARLESS means taking a deep breath and powering on.
  • MY NAN is the most fearless person I know. She takes things in her stride and always tells me to make the most of every situation. This is something I always remind myself of, no matter the circumstances.
  • AUSTRALIA means home – being outside, enjoying clean air, fresh food and relaxing. I feel very lucky to come home to Australia.
  • NEW YORK means business. It’s exhausting and non-stop but so exciting at the same time. You never know what each new day will bring.
  • The best thing about BEING A WOMAN is being part of the growing generation of strong empowered feminists.
  • My GO-TO BRANDS are Dion Lee, Céline, Camilla and Marc, Zimmermann and Valentino.
  • Ten years ago I was a COUNTRY GIRL.
  • Ten years from now I hope I’m HEALTHY AND HAPPY.

Photography: Max Doyle for JONES magazine

davidjones.com.au

VICINTEXT1.jpg VICINTEXT2.jpg VICTORIAHERO.jpg