Bellazon

Victoria Lee
Thumbnail

Interview from Vogue Australia

http://www.vogue.com.au/fashion/news/what+happens+at+the+victorias+secret+casting,43916

This is exactly what happens at a Victoria’s Secret casting, according to Australia’s newest VS model

25th Aug 2017
by Francesca Wallace

“Everyone is so friendly.”

Hailing originally from Narrandera, a tiny town in New South Wales, Victoria Lee has travelled far (both literally and figuratively) to get to where she is today. 

Announced on Tuesday night as one of Victoria’s Secret’s newest recruits, Lee admits it’s kind of the pinnacle moment for most models. 

“Victoria’s Secret has always been one of those top tier achievements and goals which would be amazing. Victoria’s Secret has such an incredible lineage of models who, especially Australians, I’ve looked up to and admired. So to be included in that is such an honour,” she tells us from New York, where the 27-year-old has been based now for six years. 

But how did Lee get there? 

“It’s a dedication to just about everything. You have to be confident, your body has to be perfect. You really need to convey confidence, it’s like a cumulative process. Victoria’s Secret really embraces your personality.”

Explaining the dual-casting process, Lee takes us through exactly what’s involved, from start to finish (with that final confirmation email). 

“There are two separate casting sessions. There's a pre casting session where you meet John Davis. That one doesn’t have camera crews or press. It’s just them in the room. You put on Victoria’s Secret lingerie and shoes from previous shows and you meet everyone and then you walk.”

“They’re so lovely, they make you feel as confident as they can.”

After that, the second round, or the callbacks, are the next step. And this time, the pressure is really on. 

“That’s the one with Ed Razek, Monica Mitro, Sophia Neophitou and all the people from Victoria’s Secret. It’s the one that one also has the camera crews.” 

“So that's all going on while you’re sitting there waiting. If you’re quite calm that’s okay, but there's this energy around you that you just can’t help to pick up on. There’s so much excitement going on - Jasmine Tookes and Martha Hunt were both there, they were filming some behind-the-scenes kind of stuff.”

But despite the frantic environment, Lee stresses the atmosphere is all genuine. “Then you go in five at a time. You go into this room, it’s a big big room and they have a curtained off area. You put on a pair of lingerie and shoes, and there are people there from Victoria’s Secret who make sure you look perfect. They make sure that you do the best that you can.”

Following that, it’s time for the runway. “There was a whole glittery runway and lights… I walked out and I was like ‘woah’ and you see the four of them, John, Monica, Ed and Sophia. And they’re smiling and you feel this warmth from them as soon as you walk out there. They want you to do a good job.”

“They asked me what I’ve been doing, because they said my body looked amazing. And then you walk, and that’s it!”

Months of preparation, years of dreaming — all down to a few minutes, as Lee puts it.

So when did the newly minted models find out? For Lee, it was only a day later, on Tuesday night (her casting was the Monday). 

“I honestly was just beside myself, I was shaking. It was quite surreal,” she says.

Who says modelling is easy?