Bellazon

World's Greatest Supermodels ranking

Qball

no problem it was from askmen

no problem! i love talking (or i guess writing in this example) about this type of thing!

So..?

?? i don't understand ... lol.

you gave me a compliment "thanks for taking the time and effort" and i responded by saying it was my pleasure...

the "So...?" i don't understand. lol. sorry.. maybe i've been in Korea too long and i've lost some english ability. hahaaha

I think as far as Tyra goes ----- she's not a SUPERMODEL because of all the high fashion work she has done --- she's definitely walked in many shows, but her campaigns are very limited. she only really did popular brands like Tommy Hilfiger, Pepsi, etc. However, she's done tons of editorials and runway (early in her career).

the reason why Tyra deserves to be on the list is because she started as a supermodel and was able to take that title and literally transform herself into a full-fledged BRAND. ..

Tyra-supermodel

Tyra-actress in films

Tyra-t.v. actress

Tyra-producer

Tyra-singer (sort of)

Tyra-reality show creator/host

Tyra-author

Tyra-talkshow host

this is why she is considered one of the biggest supermodels -- not necessarily because of her body of modelling work but because of the fact that she has been the most successful model outside of just modelling (even more than Cindy or Heidi or Naomi or any of them). Tyra is making millions and millions of dollars with her other contracts.

Plus, her modelling work and achievements aren't too shabby... First black woman to be on the cover of SI, GQ, Victoria's Secret... first black woman with a major cosmetics contract (with Covergirl), people most beautiful list, extremely long lasting very lucrative VS contract, etc etc.

there simply wasn't room for 2 successful high fashion black supermodels, so they used Naomi cause she was there first and they knew she'd sell.

Edited by happycanadian2

the reason why Tyra deserves to be on the list is because she started as a supermodel and was able to take that title and literally transform herself into a full-fledged BRAND. ..

Tyra-supermodel

Tyra-actress in films

Tyra-t.v. actress

Tyra-producer

Tyra-singer (sort of)

Tyra-reality show creator/host

Tyra-author

Tyra-talkshow host

this is why she is considered one of the biggest supermodels -- not necessarily because of her body of modelling work but because of the fact that she has been the most successful model outside of just modelling (even more than Cindy or Heidi or Naomi or any of them). Tyra is making millions and millions of dollars with her other contracts.

lol considering she's one of the biggest supermodel by taking into consideration what she does BESIDES her modelling carreer is just... wrong lol. Maybe she's one of the "supermodels who succeeded most besides their first carreer" but as far as supermodels are concerned i don't thing she is that big... Daria Werbowy has been bigger in 2years than Tyra has been in her whole carreer imo...

Plus, her modelling work and achievements aren't too shabby... First black woman to be on the cover of SI, GQ, Victoria's Secret... first black woman with a major cosmetics contract (with Covergirl), people most beautiful list, extremely long lasting very lucrative VS contract, etc etc.

I'm sorry but once again SI and victoria's secret, even if they might be two of the most lucrative contracts in the business aren't those who make you a supermodel... About Covergirl... that's not what i call a huge brand? lool Tyra is imo just very known and popular within the USA/Canada but once outside the borders...

And the fact that she's on "ppl most beautiful lists" might just prove that she's one of the HOTTEST models, but not the biggest one ;) I think you north american ppl are biased because Victoria's secret is huge there but you don't realize that it's not that amazing a contract in terms of quality and originality, all the more when the model almost only work for them...

there simply wasn't room for 2 successful high fashion black supermodels, so they used Naomi cause she was there first and they knew she'd sell.

That might be unfair but that's why Naomi IS one of the greatest supermodels, and Tyra is not... I just wanna make clear that i like Tyra but i think she's overrated as a SUPERMODEL (like adriana who may be the hottest girl on earth but certainly not the greatest supermodel.... If you think supermodel, think gisele, Claudia, Linda, Elle... Or even Karolina)

"but as far as supermodels are concerned i don't thing she is that big... Daria Werbowy has been bigger in 2years than Tyra has been in her whole carreer imo.."

Taben, I can't believe you said that. If I were to ask everyone I know who Daria Werbowy is, they would say "WHO THE HELL IS THAT?!" But if I asked everyone who Tyra Banks is... they would know in a heart beat. There is a difference between high-fashion models, and SUPERmodels. Daria is high-fashion, not super.

Being a supermodel just isn't Who Is Big In Fashion... it's Who Is Big In Media, almost. Supermodels aren't just who is the "it" girl in fashion ( because face it, we'd have to include Gemma, Natalia, Polina.. and even though they are amazing on the runways, they aren't supermodels ).

In my opinion, a Supermodel has to be accessible to the public. People know her, people like her, not only does she do well on the runway, she has contracts, she appears on TV shows, she has a pretty face, a beautiful body...

To sum it all up, if you can mention a model's first name, and almost everyone knows who you are talking about ( not just fashion-crazy or model-obsessed people like everyone here, but the general public ), you could consider her a supermodel... Heidi, Tyra, Gisele, Cindy, Christy, Naomi, Elle, Kate...

"but as far as supermodels are concerned i don't thing she is that big... Daria Werbowy has been bigger in 2years than Tyra has been in her whole carreer imo.."

Taben, I can't believe you said that. If I were to ask everyone I know who Daria Werbowy is, they would say "WHO THE HELL IS THAT?!" But if I asked everyone who Tyra Banks is... they would know in a heart beat. There is a difference between high-fashion models, and SUPERmodels. Daria is high-fashion, not super.

Being a supermodel just isn't Who Is Big In Fashion... it's Who Is Big In Media, almost. Supermodels aren't just who is the "it" girl in fashion ( because face it, we'd have to include Gemma, Natalia, Polina.. and even though they are amazing on the runways, they aren't supermodels ).

In my opinion, a Supermodel has to be accessible to the public. People know her, people like her, not only does she do well on the runway, she has contracts, she appears on TV shows, she has a pretty face, a beautiful body...

To sum it all up, if you can mention a model's first name, and almost everyone knows who you are talking about ( not just fashion-crazy or model-obsessed people like everyone here, but the general public ), you could consider her a supermodel... Heidi, Tyra, Gisele, Cindy, Christy, Naomi, Elle, Kate...

Ask ppl here in france who Tyra banks or Christy Turlington is, most won't be able to answer

I didn't said that daria is a supermodel , i just said that her MODELING career is bigger. In "supermodel" you don't have to forget that there is the word "model" ;)

So maybe a supermodel is more than jsut a model, but imo she has to be a big model first, and i'm sorry to say it once again but Tyra isn't.

Umm.. Tyra is ( or at least WAS ) a HUGE model before she became a celebrity. She may not be a model today, but she still started out strong as a model.

lol i'm not even a fan of her, i don't feel like loosing time arguing bout her carreer... For you she's been a great model, not for me. :)

no problem it was from askmen

no problem! i love talking (or i guess writing in this example) about this type of thing!

So..?

?? i don't understand ... lol.

you gave me a compliment "thanks for taking the time and effort" and i responded by saying it was my pleasure...

the "So...?" i don't understand. lol. sorry.. maybe i've been in Korea too long and i've lost some english ability. hahaaha

Well, the list is not actually yours, if it comes from AskMen.com, right..? That's like cheating, isn't it...

Ok guys, lets get something straight here.... Supermodels were only a group of girls who in the 90's, when the fashion modeling boomed and became of public domain, this was a phenomenon that will never repeat itself, 15 years ago if you had to ask to normal people who a topmodel named so and so, like top model Marpessa or Pat Cleaveland, they would have barely known how to answer. With the boom that lasted almost a decade many of those who made it to be topmodels became supermodels, like Claudia Schiffer, LInda Evangelista, Helena Christensen, Chirsty Turlington, Stefani Seymour, Cindy Crawford, Karen Mulder, Naomi Campbell, Shalom, Kate Moss, Amber Valletta, Trish Goff, Giselle, Kate Moss, Tyra banks, Heidi Klum and few Others, I obviously just cited them randomly as I wrote. After these girls the era of supermodeling is over!! I think that the last real supermodel is Gisele No question!

Ok guys, lets get something straight here.... Supermodels were only a group of girls who in the 90's when the fashion modeling boomed and became of public domain, this was a phenomenon that will never repeat itself, 15 years ago if you had to ask to normal people who a topmodel named so and so they would have barely knew how to answer, like top model Marpessa or Pat Cleaveland. With the boom that lasted almost a decade many those who made it to be topmodels became supermodels, like Claudia Schiffer, LInda Evangelista, Helena Christensen, Chirsty Turlington, Stefani Seymour, Cindy Crawford, Karen Mulder, Naomi Campbell, Shalom, Kate Moss, Amber Valletta, Trish Goff, Giselle, Kate Moss, Tyra banks, Heidi Klum and few Others, this is obviously I just cited them randomly as I wrote. After these girls the era of supermodeling is over!! I think that the last real supermodel is Gisele No question!

Gisele is the last real supermodel cuz right now we're in the era of the "season" models. Most girls only last one, two or 3 seasons and then you never hear of them again. This is what the creator and ex boss of Elite models noticed and that's why he created a new agency which will aim at making SUPERMODELS (i.e. girls who are both big in the industry AND known as celebrities) [i read that in the December issue of French Photo, where there was an interview of him]

okay this is an opinion based thread so people well say oh i think such and such is a supermodel and blah blah blah but in my opinion gisele is not a supermodel...she can NEVER be compared to the height that the trinity or cindy has reached...i mean they were like celebrities meaning say angelina jolie shes always in the magazines cuz of her relationship blah blah blah...the girls in teh 80's and 90's took over cuz of there glamorous life because the actresses really didnt care how they looked except on movies..so supermodels were it...unless theres a pack of girls like 80's and 90's that had raw talent and were in headlines 24/7..theyre not supermodels

gisele's just known as the "supermodel" in victoria's secrets

okay this is an opinion based thread so people well say oh i think such and such is a supermodel and blah blah blah but in my opinion gisele is not a supermodel...she can NEVER be compared to the height that the trinity or cindy has reached...i mean they were like celebrities meaning say angelina jolie shes always in the magazines cuz of her relationship blah blah blah...the girls in teh 80's and 90's took over cuz of there glamorous life because the actresses really didnt care how they looked except on movies..so supermodels were it...unless theres a pack of girls like 80's and 90's that had raw talent and were in headlines 24/7..theyre not supermodels

i know that's just your opinion but i can't agree on that... She's the highest paid model in the world, she's been on A LOT of magazine covers including all the Vogue editions, Harper's Bazaar, W, Elle... She's done the dolce&gabbana campaigns for several years in a row, dior campaigns for several years in a row, vuitton, valentino, versace, C

Oh man, GISELE not a supermodel? Well, why would Dolce&Gabbana pay her load of money to be excluisve for their fashion shows only; for few seasons?

No bud, Gisele is one of the biggest supermodels of all times, and like Taben said, she worked for the biggest major fashion brands doing their campaigns for many years, she graced hundred of top fashion magazines and for a five six years in a row I saw almost only her on magazine covers, it never happened before bro!!

And this trust me, it's not an opinion... it's an absolute big huge fact that speaks much louder than words :wave:

Oh man, GISELE not a supermodel? Well, why would Dolce&Gabbana pay her load of money to be excluisve for their fashion shows only; for few seasons?

No bud, Gisele is one of the biggest supermodels of all times, and like Taben said, she worked for the biggest major fashion brands doing their campaigns for many years, she graced hundred of top fashion magazines and for a five six years in a row I saw almost only her on magazine covers, it never happened before bro!!

And this trust me, it's not an opinion... it's an absolute big huge fact that speaks much louder than words :wave:

putting it in huge letters isnt going to make it a fact. not to mention that its really obnoxious and certainly doesnt make me want to read what you have to say :)

that being said, i will say that i do feel that gisele IS a supermodel, but she exists in a time where true supermodels dont really exist. compared to her peers, hell YES she's a supermodel. she's straddled both high fashion and commercial, plus started the brazilian craze in the industry. now compared to cindy crawford, the trinity, and kate moss...well, gisele's status pales in comparison. no question that they are REAL supermodels. they basically defined the word. so in that respect, i do agree with what Dream Angel is saying.

context is a big part of it.

Edited by OriginalSin

putting it in huge letters isnt going to make it a fact. not to mention that its really obnoxious and certainly doesnt make me want to read what you have to say :)

that being said, i will say that i do feel that gisele IS a supermodel, but she exists in a time where true supermodels dont really exist. compared to her peers, hell YES she's a supermodel. she's straddled both high fashion and commercial, plus started the brazilian craze in the industry. now compared to cindy crawford, the trinity, and kate moss...well, gisele's status pales in comparison. no question that they are REAL supermodels. they basically defined the word. so in that respect, i do agree with what Dream Angel is saying.

context is a big part of it.

Big or small the bottom line is Gisele is a supermodel and she does not pale in front of Cindy at all, Cindy never made it as hign in the High Fashion as Gisele did.... She is the last supermodel and she is way hotter than Cindy NO QUESTION about!! PERIOD :wave: