Bellazon

Alejandra Gonzales Daly
Thumbnail

DanniCullen

She is pretty but she wouldn't be signed to Elite Models if it weren't for her sister. Don't get me wrong I am not hating on her. I just think this is why so many short girls think they can be a fashion model because they see girls like her on the boards of top agencies. People on FMD and Supermodels debate over short models like Devon Aoki and Kate Moss not realizing the following:

Here's the deal girls. Every once and a while a girl whose 5'6" gets scouted and makes it. However this almost always happens before her 16th birthday because the agency is waiting for her to grow but she becomes successful and they keep her on ie Kate Moss or Laeticia Casta. These girls are never listed at their real height. (If you see a girl listed at 5'7" at a very high fashion/runway dominated agency she is most likely 5'6" because all the other are bumped up to do runway ie 5'7" becomes 5'8.5 and 5'8" becomes 5'9") On the other hand, a lot of shorter "fashion models" are either the spawn of some rich and/or famous person ie Devon Aoki. Devon Aoki would probably never been "scouted" if she wasn't an heiress. How many teenagers know Kate Moss personally to help them get with Storm Models?

Most shorter models get relegated to commercial print agencies. These agencies are more concerned with normal pretty looking people. A great example of successful commercial model under 5'7" would be Tess Montgomery. She is either signed to a commercial print agency or fashion agency with a commercial division. She is never on the fashion board because of her height. Apparently, she is only 5'4" or 5'5". Despite this, she is labeled at 5'6" at almost all her agencies. She is listed at 5'6" because it's only one inch less than the minimum model height. Most commercial clients like to book women at 5'6"- 5'7" because its not too much taller than the average but still photographs tall.

Elite should at least label Alejandra at 5'6.5" and give her a better chance of working in different markets. Since she is on the main board, I doubt she will grow any taller assuming she is actually 5'5". It should be interesting to see how her career will develop considering her height and girl next door look. The only other markets I can see her doing well in is London and Capetown. Her sister has done really well in South Africa as has another shorter model Leischen Botes who is only 5'6". When she gets a stronger book, perhaps she will do well in Hamburg.

• 3 weeks later...