Bellazon

Heidi Klum

Guest MissIsabella

Look for this article in this Sunday's Parade Magazine:

http://www.parade.com/celebrity/0809/in-step-with-heidi-klum

I don’t know about you, but I’ll always take a call from a chartered vacation yacht sailing off the Italian coast—especially when it’s international cover girl Heidi Klum, the host of TV’s Project Runway, who’s phoning.

“Whenever I hear the name Jim Brady,” she began, “I think of The Brady Bunch.” She thinks about me?

The German-born model turned media mogul is 35 and as striking and in demand as ever, with the fifth season of her hit reality fashion competition now on Bravo but set to move over to the Lifetime channel in November. The transition has been accompanied by considerable drama and lawsuits. But no matter. Heidi and her family were placidly cruising as we spoke, husband and singer Seal offering the occasional amused comment in the background.

So how does this world-famous couple live? “We have help,” she said. “But we do our own cooking, and we’re very hands-on with the children. We drive them to school every morning. Leni is 4 and in preschool. Henry has to be potty-trained before they take him in pre-K, and Johan’s turn comes next [he’s 2].

“We have a colorful and beautiful backyard with toys all over the place and a pool full of toys and a tennis court covered with tennis balls,” she continued. “My husband is the good tennis player.”

I asked how they met. “In a hotel lobby in New York when I was visiting a friend. You know, I used to hang around hotel lobbies,” she said playfully, giggling, “and my husband walked in. Two years later, we married.”

Since she’s German and he has Nigerian and Brazilian roots, I asked if they sat down to talk about possible complexities before tying the knot. “No, we never thought about it,” Heidi said. “ That’s the thing—we were in love, and there was no more to it than that.”

In person or on TV, Klum’s English is accented but fluent and grammatical. “I’ve been studying it from the fifth grade on,” she said. And how is Seal’s German? “My husband speaks a little German,” she said. “Though I must say the children are better than him. But he’s catching up.” It was obvious Seal was listening to all this, so I said, “Ask him if he thinks you’re as beautiful now as you were when you first met.” She repeated my question, and I could hear his voice call out, “No! She’s more beautiful.”

Brady's Bits

Heidi first came to the States as a young model in the ’90s and became known in the biz as “ The Body.” But it was the wildly successful Project Runway that made her a household name. Was Runway her concept? “No, it was [producer] Harvey Weinstein’s idea,” she said. “But he didn’t know anything about fashion, so they decided I should head the panel of judges.” Heidi also keeps busy with her skin-care and jewelry lines, but a top priority right now is the Sept. 21 prime-time Emmy Awards on ABC. For the first time, a “reality show host” category has been added, and all five nominees (Tom Bergeron, Howie Mandel, Jeff Probst, Ryan Seacrest, and Heidi) will co-host the ceremony. Heidi was excited to meet with the others when she got back to L.A. “It should be fun,” she said. “I’ll be the only girl surrounded by four guys.”

Personal

Born June 1, 1973, in Bergisch Gladbach, Germany. Married to Ric Pipino (1997-2002) and to Seal (2005–), with three children.

What She's Worth

In 2004, as security for her modeling, her legs were insured for $1.96 million.

What You Don't Know

She has a rose named after her, and she designed a sculpture to commemorate the rescue dogs of 9/11.