Bellazon

Heidi Klum

Guest MissIsabella

Here is the article from last week's issue of Hamptons Magazine:

Be it as a supermodel, TV personality, multitasker, or mom, Heidi Klum aims high and doesn’t disappoint. As her hit show Project Runway begins its fifth season this month on Bravo (before leaping to Lifetime), Klum cuts a fashionable swath all over town.

by Andrew Stone

This Fourth of July, while most of us are tanning at Coopers Beach, dining on $100-per-pound lobster salad, and oohing at the fireworks, Heidi Klum is keeping her perfectly proportioned nose to the grindstone. Klum recently returned to New York from LA with her happy brood (crooner husband Seal, four-year-old Leni, three-year-old Henry, and twoyear- old Johan) to tape a fifth season of the juggernaut reality competition show Project Runway, for which she serves as host and executive producer. Glowing on set at the show’s Bryant Park finale, she made it difficult to believe she’s had three kids.

Klum sings, chipper and relaxed: “We’ll finish everything apart from the finale over the next five weeks. I shoot one day, and the next day I’m off while the designers do their challenge. It’s stressful… but then again, it isn’t. We have time to see Broadway plays; we have play dates. If you go to an office Monday through Friday, you’re working more than I do.”

Don’t hate her because she’s beautiful and has more free time than you do.

Yes, she won the genetic lottery. But on top of that she’s smart and organized, and she knows how to market herself. “She’s superdriven,” insists Klum’s producing partner and publicist Desiree Gruber, founder of marketing-PR-production firm Full Picture. “We’ve been working together for over 10 years, and she doesn’t take no for an answer. When I first met her she said, ‘I need a publicist.’ I said, ‘No, you don’t, you need to book jobs.’ But she tracked me down and called and called again. Eventually I said, ‘OK, let’s give it a whirl.’”

Now look at her. Klum is a card-carrying supermodel, hailing from the generation when catwalkers needed only one name and had personalities as big as (or bigger than) any fashion designer’s. With earnings well into the tens of millions and legions of fans from her Victoria’s Secret and Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue days, she’s a brand unto herself. That popularity has led her to eclectic yet complementary successes, the most resounding being the Peabody Award-winning, Emmy-nominated Project Runway. (She also hosts and executive produces Germany’s Next Top Model, based on fellow model-titan Tyra Banks’ America’s Next Top Model. Mein Gott!)

For Klum and Runway’s other executive producers, who include Gruber as well as Harvey and Bob Weinstein, Project Runway is a true labor of love. When they conceived it and pitched it around town, making up the format along the way, they had no idea what a monster it would become. In the years since, it has won rabid fans by introducing sophisticated fashion to the TV public and playing up the personalities of style mentor Tim Gunn, the judges, and the colorful contestants (Klum’s catchphrase “Auf Wiedersehen” is the stuff of legend). “There are always people you’re more drawn to watch,” she says. “People are kooky and flamboyant. It’s the people that make it special.”

The show made news recently with its controversial split from its cable home on Bravo to rival channel Lifetime. While its devotees may be a little uneasy about the shake-up, Klum is enthusiastic and committed to keeping its spirit safe. “I am very excited, but I can’t think about Lifetime yet,” she says. “We’re still at Bravo and are putting all our energy and love into this season. We owe that to the designers. There are some great ideas about how we might change things around, but the heart of the show will stay the same.”

“We all want the show to continue to resonate with fans and be exciting,” Gruber continues. “The next season will be shot half in LA, since Hollywood and fashion have a long history. We’ll be able to infiltrate the Hollywood community. Then we’ll be back in New York for Fashion Week, and give the designers some inspiration.”

Right now it appears that a little inspiration is going a long way with the season-five contestants. “These are very talented people,” Klum says. “Just the other day I gave them not a lot of money, and this person made something that was really amazing. I had to check with her and say, ‘How much money did I give you?’ That’s what’s fun for us to see as judges and producers. We don’t spend much time with them in casting. Once they’re on, it’s a gamble. With some, we’re like, ‘Oof, we were wrong,’ and then some surprise us and do amazing things.”

Indeed, the key to the show’s success comes from focusing on raw talent and sidestepping trashy behavior, catfights, and unnecessary drama. “That’s what’s so sad about most reality shows,” Klum says. “We’re not about who’s sleeping with who. Obviously, if there is a drama, or someone yells at someone, or a romance is brewing, we’re not going to turn the camera off. This time around there actually is a romance blossoming. But it’s not about that, and that’s what I still love about it. People of all age groups, who have no clue about fashion, are fascinated. It’s pure creativity.”

Klum has plenty of firsthand knowledge on the subject of creativity. In addition to her modeling and television duties, she designs a signature line of Birkenstock sandals, collaborates with Jordache for the new Heidi Klum by Jordache line (a 15-piece collection of denim, knits, blouses, and woven tops currently at Bloomingdale’s, soon available at high-end retailers nationwide), and creates pieces for luxury jeweler Mouawad. At the same time, she manages to sit on the board of nonprofit organization Baby Buggy, which provides equipment, products, and clothing to inneed families with infants and young children. You might spot her at one of their star-studded Hamptons events.

Klum has spent many a summer out East. “I always preferred to spend weekdays out here instead of sitting in traffic on the weekends,” she says. “I remember I’d wave at the other cars on the LIE. I usually know the people in the other cars, anyway.”

These days she’s particularly excited about a new five-step skincare line she’s developed with Guthy-Renker, the company behind such beauty sensations as Proactiv and Meaningful Beauty with Cindy Crawford. “I wanted to make something that is for women in my age group or a little younger, where you take care of your skin without anything like Botox, collagen, or Restylane,” she says. “We have this great product called the wrinkle smoother. I call it the ‘spackle’—it does a little retouching for the day. It goes in the cracks and you do your makeup over it…. People are amazed. It washes off at the end of the day, but the product has all those peptides and ingredients that help in the long term.”

While so many in her profession battle the effects of time by resorting to every procedure under the sun, Klum is much more relaxed about the aging process. “Not to judge, but I think a lot of people do facial stuff and they don’t need to. There’s something odd when you’re 35 or 40 and ironed to the max. You change with time, and it’s fine! I do enjoy doing a facial sometimes, but it is so hard to find a normal one. Everywhere there are these stand-up cards saying ‘Have a little silicon while you get your roots done.’ I want to be the opposite of that.”

Indeed, her entrepreneurial spirit has brought her far—but not everyone can be this successful and glamorous while making it look this easy. Obviously Klum has a little magic in her, and it’s got nothing to do with her outsides. Gruber puts it well: “The magic is that she’s genuine and she’s the real deal. It doesn’t cross her mind to be aloof, distant, or ‘better than.’ Her attitude is, ‘We’re all in this together.’”

Heidi was on extra today. She was at a photo shoot for VS. She is modeling the new Ipex. I'll post pics as soon as I get them. They pointed out that she said her breast have deminished in size since her 3rd child, but come on, she still looks absolutely beautiful. She also said this season of PR has a lot of "emotional" people. A lot of crying.

I don't have the main interview, but here's a secondary interview.

http://extratv.warnerbros.com/2008/07/proj...igning_diva.php