Bellazon

Jennifer Aniston
Thumbnail

Nebucadnezar

• 2 weeks later...
I'm sorry for her.. She wanted with Brad children, then he left her and now is Angelina pregnant. That is bitter. Exactly the same as with Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman. Cheer up, Jenny!

No matter how big fan im of Angie... I really do feel sorry for Jen... She is sweet and cute and they were just perfect together (with Brad)...and now..huh...well i hope she has great friends and fans who will support her throught so difficult time.....

about Tom and Nicole....well at least Tom has tha babe few years later not 3 months after the official divorse :whistle: Brad and Angelina still do not act as couple, which means they do care what Jen can see in the media and hoow she feels, but now they cant hide it anylonger so....

Jen !!! All will be fine...give it time

Why does everyone assume Aniston did absolutely nothing wrong? Because she SAID she didn't do anything wrong? That's a bunch of shit and she's using this cry baby routine to get publicity for her career and hey look, it's working. In pictures did you ever truly see her breaking down and crying at any point? No she was off sucking face and hanging off of Vince. That sounds like such a depressed woman, doesn't it? Get with it. And no, I'm not saying she wasn't hurt at all because I imagine she was, I just think she exaggerated it.

Why does everyone assume Aniston did absolutely nothing wrong? Because she SAID she didn't do anything wrong? That's a bunch of shit and she's using this cry baby routine to get publicity for her career and hey look, it's working. In pictures did you ever truly see her breaking down and crying at any point? No she was off sucking face and hanging off of Vince. That sounds like such a depressed woman, doesn't it? Get with it. And no, I'm not saying she wasn't hurt at all because I imagine she was, I just think she exaggerated it.

Agreed. Amen, sistah!

• 4 weeks later...

Vanity Fair September 2005

The Unsinkable Jennifer Aniston

The whole world watched as her "perfect" marriage fell apart. Only her closest friends knew what really happened. Now, in Jennifer Aniston's first interview since she split with Brad Pitt, she spills her heart, and some tears, to Leslie Bennetts, sharing her shock and confusion over Pitt's liason with Angelina Jolie, her desire for a family, and her deep, conflicting emotions (anger, hurt, exasperation, tenderness) toward the man she still loves.

When Jennifer Aniston opens the door to the Malibu bungalow she's been holed up in lately, she gives me a radiant smile and an elusive hello.

Then she bursts into tears.

We have scarcely sat down in the living room, a serene little haven simply furnished with cushy white sofas and white flowers and white candles, when her face crumples. She is instantly aghast.

"I haven't been feeling emotional lately, really I haven't," she wails, fluttering her hands like Rachel Green in distress, except that this time it isn't funny.

Other than the 24-hour security detail guarding her safety, Aniston is all alone in the modest rental where she has camped out while dealing with the end of her marriage to Brad Pitt - and its devastating aftermath, which has been far worse than the actual split. The last few months have brought an endless nightmare of hurtful headlines about her soon-to-be-ex-husband, along with blatantly fradulent stories about herself, in the tabloids and supermarket gossip magazines. Pursued around the clock by the rabid paparazzi she refers to as "ratzies," she is ambushed even on her own deck by photographers who lurk on the beach outside her door, spying on her every move.

As she squeezes her eyes shut in an effort to stop crying, the scene provides a painful contrast with the last time we met. Little more than a year ago, I interviewed Pitt at the Beverly Hills mansion that he and Aniston had just spent two years renovating. A testament to both his passion for architecture and the couple's hopeful vision of their shared future, the beautiful old house awaited only by a baby in a bassinet to complete a picture-perfect existence.

When I left, they both walked me out to my car. Their home, its windows lit and welcoming, glowed in the twilight. As we said our good-byes, Pitt and Aniston leaned together in the driveway, arms twined around each other. Her head rested trustingly on his buff chest, still pumped up from his rigorous training to play the warrior Achilles in Troy.

They seemed the most fortunate couple imaginable - two beautiful superstars who had hit the jackpot, earning not only fame and riches but also an enduring love. Their fans had long been captivated by the romance of America's Sweetheart and the Sexiest Man in the World, and now they were ready to begin a thrilling new chapter. Aniston's 10-year run on Friends was ending, and she and Pitt had vowed to start a family when her stupendously successful television series was finished.

Pitt's final words to me reinforced the impression of connubial bliss: "I'm happier than I've ever been." But the ensuing months brought an onslaught of rumors that he had gotten involved with Angelina Jolie while filming Mr. and Mrs. Smith. Instead of the joyful announcement many had anticipated from the Pitts, there was only silence. The New Year began with photographs of the beautiful couple strolling along the beach on Anguilla, looking relaxed and happy. Immediately the buzz shifted into rhapsodic re-appraisals of the state of their union.

And then came the oh-so-civilized announcement, on January 7, that Jennifer Aniston and Brad Pitt were separating - that their parting was "the result of much thoughtful consideration," that it was not caused by "any of the speculation reported by the tabloid media," and that they would remain "committed and caring friends with great love and admiration for one another."

If Pitt had kept a low profile in the months to come, that might have even turned out to be true. Instead, the ominous drumroll of gossip began to crescendo as he and Jolie rendezvoused in exotic locales, still denying that they were an item. With the paparazzi snapping away, Pitt stepped into what looked suspiciously like a paternal role with Jolie's adopted Cambodian son, Maddox.

"It was extremely hurtful to Jen that he was seen with another woman so quickly after they were separated," says Andrea Bendewald, an actress who had been one of Aniston's closest friends since they were teenagers.

Instead of being riviled as The Other Woman, Jolie posed for pictures for an energetic round of appearances as a goodwill ambassador for the United Nations - and then trumped even that public-relations bonanza by adopting another orphan, an African girl whose parents had died of AIDS. In the blink of an eye, the twice-divorced Jolie - previously known as a tattooed vixen with a taste for bisexuality, heroin, brotherly incest, mental institutions, and wearing her husband's blood - had morphed into a globe-trotting humanitarian who seemed to be channeling Audrey Hepburn.

For the 36-year-old Aniston, who had expected the past year being pregnant, the pain of watching this spectacle unfold was compounded by vicious rumors about herself. As misogynist as they were false, sensationalistic stories claimed the real reason the marriage ended was that Aniston refused to have Pitt's baby because she was so ambitious she cared only about her career.

Even now, that sexist slur makes her face darken. "A man divorcing would never be accused of choosing career over children," she says. "That really pissed me off. I've never in my life said I didn't want to have children. I did and I do and I will! The women that inspire me are the ones who have careers and children; why would I want to limit myself? I've always wanted to have children, and I would never give up that experience for a career. I want to have it all."

Aniston's intimates note acidly that Pitt could have done more to refute the mean-spirited rumor that his wife wouldn't bear his child, which reinforced the impression that he had good cause to leave her for Earth Mother Jolie. To some, this looks like sheer hypocrisy.

"When Brad and Jen were in the marriage, having a baby was not his priority - ever," says one mutual friend. "It was an abstract desire for him, whereas for Jen it was much more immediate. So is there a part of Brad that's diabolical? Did he think, I need to get out of this marriage, but I want to come out smelling like a rose, so I'm going to let Jen be cast as the ultra-feminist and I'm going to get cast as the poor husband who couldn't get a baby and so had to move on?"

As the image wars raged in the gossip media, a heartbroken Aniston retreated to her Malibu hideaway to lick her wounds, private, accompanied only by her elderly corgi-terrier mix, Norman, who spends most of his time snoring on his dog bed. Public sympathy seemed to be on her side; the Hollywood boutique Kitson reported that its "Team Aniston" T-shirts were outselling "Team Jolie" T-shirts by a margin of 25 to 1. But that was cold comfort as Aniston was assaulted by one provocation after another.

When the Pitts split up, Brad insisted that he hadn't slept with Jolie, and Aniston accepted his denial. "She wasn't naive," says Kristin Hahn, an executive at the Pitts' production company, Plan B. "She's not suggesting she didn't know there was an enchantment, and a friendship. But Brad was saying, 'This is not about another woman.'"

The moment he and Aniston separated, however, he re-emerged in what looked like a full-blown affair with Jolie. Struggling to accept a separation she never wanted, Aniston found that the "facts" she had been told kept shifting like quicksand beneath her feet. When I ask about that gracious, no-one-is-to-blame announcement of their separation, she takes a deep breath. "What we said was true-"

As I raise my eyebrows, she pauses for a moment, and then adds carefully "-as far as I knew. We wrote it together, very consciously, and felt very good about it. We exited this relationship as beautifully as we entered it."

All Aniston wanted then was to figure out what happened; how did the happy life they'd planned drift so far off course? But everything changed on April 29, when photographs broke of Brad and Angelina frolicking on the beach with Maddox at a romantic resort in Africa. "The world was shocked, and I was shocked," she says, still bending over backward not to excoriate her ex.

But to say that this news was like pouring salt in the wound would understate its impact considerably; how about pouring molten lava into the hole where somebody ripped your heart out? And then things got worse.

The skies over Los Angeles are uncharacteristically gray today, and and Pacific shimmers with an opalescent sheen. Although the weather is gloomy, the ocean is calm; waves lap gently at the shoreline, making a soft shushing sound that Aniston found quite soothing lately.

"That's quite a backyard, in my opinion," she says as we stand on her deck, watching the hypnotic rhythm of the waves. "Just being able to go to the water's edge and scream-"

She grins. "Not too loudly. You don't want people to think you're crazy. But it can be very cathartic."

She is wearing a white tank top and white drawstring linen pants, with a vivid lavender cashmere cardiwrap around her to ward off the unseasonable chill. Formidably toned by yoga, her body is in superb shape, but despite her tanned skin and megawatt smile she looks fragile and wan.

She remains resolutely upbeat nonetheless, casting her current situation in the most positive light possible. "It's beautiful here; I love it," she says. "I've always wanted to have a little Malibu beach house, and it feels good. I'm enjoying simplifying things."

Although the bungalow was dark and depressing when she first saw it, a quickie makeover has transformed it into a cozy sanctuary that's far more representative of Aniston's personal taste than the showplace she and Pitt shared, where the decor seemed all hard edges and unforgiving materials. "Brad and I used to joke that every piece of furniture was either a museum piece or just uncomfortable," Aniston says. "He definitely had his sense of style, and I definitely have my sense of style, and sometimes they clashed. I wasn't so much into modern."

I mention Nicole Kidman's quip after splitting up with Tom Cruise, when she was asked what she looked forward to in her new life without her diminutive husband who had abruptly ended their marriage. "Wearing high heels again," Kidman retorted.

So I ask Aniston - who filed for divorce on March 25 and expects it to become final this fall - what she enjoys about being on her own. "I can have a comfortable couch," she says with a wry smile.

In the tabloids and celebrity gossip magazines, the soap-opera version of her life continues to hurtle along like a runaway express train, rushing Aniston through major life stages with ludicrous speed: Jen Is Devastated! Jen Is Furious! Jen Gets Revenge! Jen Has a New Man! Jen Is Over Brad! Most of the stories are wrong. (No, Oprah didn't try to get Brad and Jen back together; no, Jen is not romantically involved with Vince Vaughn, her co-star in The Break-Up, a comedy about a separating couple who continue to live together, which they shot in Chicago over the summer).

Other reports are just idiotically simpleminded, breathlessly advancing a plot that bears little resemblance to the long, complex, painful experience of getting over a divorce. While the tabloids insist on dividing Aniston's emotions into neat, distinct chapters, the reality is that pain and denial and anger and resignation all blur together, sometimes at the same moment - and the lengthy process of mourning is nowhere near over.

"There are many stages of grief," she says. "It's sad, something coming to an end. It cracks you open, in a way - cracks you open to feeling. When you try to avoid the pain, it creates greater pain. I'm a human being, having a human experience in front of the world. I wish it weren't in front of the world. I try really hard to rise above it."

Aniston is struggling to find a deeper meaning in the debacle. "I have to think there's some reason I have called this into my life," she says. "I have to believe that - otherwise it's just cruel."

Her friends are filled with admiration for this way she's handled the whole mess. "This woman is basically having a root canal without anesthesia, but she's really trying not to numb the pain or shove it under the rug," says Hahn. "She's grown so much, and she continues to grow on a daily basis, because every time you think, 'Well, I've dealt with this,' there's another hurdle to get over. It's a bit Job-like at the moment."

Aniston's response has been to retreat into her cocoon, "in an effort to take care of myself and my heart," she says. "I feel like I'm nesting. I love being home. I have friends that come over. My girlfriends I've had for 20 years. When things happen, the tribe gathers around and lifts you up. I've had lonely moments, sure, but I'm also enjoying being alone. There's no question it takes getting used to; I'm a partnership person, and if something happens your instinct is to share it - but you're no longer part of a couple. I definitely miss that. It's sort of like Bambi - like you're trying to learn how to walk. You're a little awkward; you stumble a little bit. The things you would do with your partner, you don't do. It's uncharted territory, but I think it's good for me to be a solo person right now. You're forced to re-discover yourself and take it to another level. If you can find a way to see the glass half-full, these are the moments when you learn the most. I've had to re-introduce myself to myself in a way that's different."

She doesn't downplay the difficulties. "Am I lonely? Yes. Am I upset? Yes. Am I confused? Yes. Do I have my days when I've thrown a little pity party for myself? Absolutely. But I'm also doing really well," she says. "I've got an unbelivable support team and I'm a tough cookie...I believe in therapy; I think it's an incredible tool in educating the self on the self. I feel very strong. I'm really proud of how I've conducted myself."

A crucial part of Aniston's strategy has been to ignore the putrid stew of rumor, speculation, and outright falsehood in the tabloid media. "It's been very important for me not to read anything, not to see anything," she says. "It's been my saving grace. That stuff is just toxic for me right now. I probably avoided a lot of suffering by not engaging in it, not reading, not watching."

She gestures towards Norman, who has roused himself for a moment to check on his mistress's whereabouts. "It's like those dog cones," she says, encircling her neck as if putting on one of those plastic cones prescribed by vets to prevent dogs from scratching their ears. "I have my imaginary dog cone on, so I don't see anything. It just allows for a much more peaceful life."

Nevertheless, as Pitt publicly flaunted the instant family he had created with Jolie, the tableaux of their newfound togetherness was humiliating. "I would be a robot if I said I didn't feel moments of anger, hurt, of embarrassment," Aniston acknowledges.

But she tries to keep the lurid details to herself. "She is grieving, but she's taken the high road," says Bendewald. "She's mourning the death of a marriage, and she's done it very privately. She can have her moments of rage, but she doesn't want to out him, and that keeps her heart clear. She's not bad-mouthing him. She doesn't want to make him the villian and her the victim."

Indeed, Aniston vehemently rejects the interpretation that she was left for another woman. "I don't feel like a victim," she says. "I've worked for this therapist for a long time, and her major focus is that you get one day of being a victim - and that's it. Then we take responsibility for our own input. To live in a victim place is pointing a finger at someone else, as if you have no control. Relationships are two people; everyone is accountable. A lot goes into a relationship coming together, and a lot goes into a relationship falling apart. She'd say, 'Even if it's 98 percent the other person's fault, it's 2 percent yours, and that's what we're going to focus on.' You can only clean up your side of the street."

These days, one index of recovery is the fact that Aniston's sardonic humor is resurfacing. When I tell her that my 13-year-old son is a big fan of hers, she doesn't miss a beat. "Is he single?" she asks, deadpan.

She'll toss off a crack about Pitt's startling transformation into a punky bleached blond. "Billy Idol called - he wants his look back," she murmurs with a sly smile.

By now she can even talk about those gut-wrenching photos of Jolie and Pitt in Kenya with mordant resignation rather than tears. "I can't say it was one of the highlights of my year," she says. "Who would deal with that and say, 'Isn't that sweet! That looks like fun!'? But shit happens. You joke and say, 'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger."

She sighs. "I feel like I've earned a superpower shield," she says. Then, afraid of sounding grandiose, she adds, "I'm not comparing my suffering with other people's suffering. Everybody has their own."

---------------------------------------------------------

Whew. Okay I'll leave the rest to type up another day, got a big test to study for.