Bellazon

Jose Mourinho
Thumbnail

madristar

Mourinho wary of AC Milan threat

Former Inter Milan coach Jose Mourinho believes AC Milan can emerge as Champions League contenders this season.

Milan signed striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic on loan from Barcelona and acquired Brazilian forward Robinho from Manchester City on the final day of the transfer window.

Mourinho has been paying close attention to Milan's transfer dealings as his Real Madrid side will face the Rossoneri in Champions League Group G, where Auxerre and Ajax also lie in wait.

"With Ibrahimovic and Robinho, this is another Milan," Mourinho told Gazzetta dello Sport.

"Robinho and Ibrahimovic are among the best in the world. Certainly Milan is much stronger than it was a year ago.

"The Rossoneri are among the teams that can win the Champions League."

Mourinho, who departed Inter in the summer after guiding the Nerazzurri to a Coppa Italia, Serie A and Champions League treble, has no regrets over his decision to leave Italy.

"I don't think any Italian coach misses me just as I don't miss them," he said.

"I do speak to [inter Milan president Massimo] Moratti every week," he said. "We are friends. He is part of my history just as I'm part of his.

"I hope with all my heart that Inter wins the Scudetto, the Coppa Italia and the FIFA Club World Cup, but not the Champions League.

"But I am a professional and when I end a chapter, I end it without regrets."

"Mourinho will sell a lot of papers!"

Barcelona goalkeeper Victor Valdes has taken a dig at Jose Mourinho's tendency to shoot his mouth off.

Mourinho, who took the Real Madrid hot seat in the summer, has already provided journalists with some gems - claiming he is not Harry Potter after Real's 0-0 draw against Mallorca in the opening match of the new La Liga campaign.

The Portuguese, known for his deadpan comments, usually casts a wide net when giving interviews. He has spouted unflattering opinions about his successor at Inter Milan, Rafael Benitez, as well as rubbishing the chances of Liverpool and Arsenal in the Barclays Premier League.

Valdes expects the verbal sharpshooter to continue on his merry ways throughout the La Liga season.

Speaking to CadenaCOPE, he said:"He will give you much to talk about, and will sell a lot of papers. The press are beginning to know him.

"But the thing that is important is what happens in between. Football is 11 against 11 on the field, and nothing more."

The goalkeeper did give credit to Barca's bitter rivals, saying they have a good chance of winning the domestic title this season.

"Real Madrid have a good team, good players and will fight until the end.

"Barcelona's philosophy remains to play a positive game, and hopefully the great results will continue. We will see, the season has just started."

While los Blancos appeared toothless against Mallorca, Barca hit their straps in the very first game - running out 3-0 winners against Racing Santander.

Eight years undefeated at home

Jose Mourinho hasn't lost in 136 consecutive league home games

Realmadrid.com / Translation by Michael J. O'Donnell

Jose Mourinho is a sure bet during home games. The Portuguese coach hasn't lost a league clash at home in eight years. Mourinho will coach his first league encounter at the Bernabeu on Saturday against Osasuna (20:00 CET).

The 'Special One' last lost a home game back on 23 February 2002, when Porto were defeated 3-2 by Beira Mar. Of the 136 games he has stood undefeated as a host, 111 were victories and 25 were draws. His teams have scored 295 goals and conceded only 84 in said fixtures.

Mourinho won all of Porto's 17 home games in the 2003/04 season. During that campaign and the following one, in which he coached Chelsea, his teams only conceded six strikes as hosts. In Italy, as Inter Milan's coach, Mourinho conceded no goals in seven straight home matches.

Barcelona & Spain Star Andres Iniesta Dismisses Ballon d'Or Comments Of Real Madrid Coach Jose Mourinho

Spain's World Cup hero Andres Iniesta has responded to Jose Mourinho's Ballon d'Or comments, saying it's not his call.

Spain and Barcelona midfielder Andres Iniesta has responded to comments from Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho regarding his candidacy for the inaugural FIFA Ballon d'Or by declaring it's not up to the Portuguese trainer.

Mourinho had previously declared that he would give the newly almgamated gong to Inter and Netherlands playmaker Wesley Sneijder, stating that Iniesta wasn't a stand-out player over the course of the season despite having an excellent World Cup finals in South Africa.

Now Spain's World Cup final goal hero has had his say and he insists the Special One's opinion doesn't matter.

"It is clear that this is one more opinion, the only thing is that if he [Mourinho] were giving the prize, I know that I would not win. But anyway, that is not the case," he told a press conference.

quote of the day – José Mourinho

Some players aren’t hot blooded or cold blooded; they just have water in their veins. If I could choose, on my team I want at least three with hot blood, three with blood at normal temperatures and the rest with cold blood. I don’t want any with water.

José Mourinho, during an interview with AS. He goes on to say that Cristiano is hot blooded during games, and that Benzema has very cold blood, and that he (Mou) has to warm it up.

Jose Mourinho must be given time

Former star backs coach for success...

Real Madrid legend Emilio Butragueno has urged the club and its followers to have patience with coach Jose Mourinho, and allow him and the players time to adapt to one another.

The Spanish giants are desperate for success this season after looking on as Barcelona clinched back-to-back Primera Division titles, and Mourinho has been given the daunting task of derailing Pep Guardiola's side.

However, AS reports that Butragueno, who spent 11 years at the Santiago Bernabeu from 1984 to 1995, believes that results will not come instantly and that the work of the Portuguese coach must be measured much later in the campaign.

He commented: “The coach has not had the desired continuity in training, because of the timetable and injuries, so it is premature to draw conclusions with the season just starting.

“We must be patient and calm with Mourinho and give it time. They have brought several new players into the team and he needs to know how to adapt them to improve team performance.

Mourinho: "Cristiano Ronaldo will be a starter because the match will be difficult"

Jose Mourinho addressed the media the day before making his league debut at the Bernabeu.

"It will be a difficult match, but I am accustomed to playing before audiences who want their team to play well. It also happened at San Siro and Stamford Bridge. These are great clubs, accustomed to success, so it isn't a problem."

"Right now, we are focusing on taking risks to win. Our goal is to win every game. It is more important to win three games and lose two than to draw five. I don't want to achieve records; I want points. If we have only managed to draw the score tomorrow with ten minutes left in the game, I will take a risk to win come what may. Records are nice, but points are nicer."

"Cristiano Ronaldo will be a starter. I am afraid of the possibility he may get injured again. I am afraid someone may hit him, but that's normal in football. He has been training at least five hours a day at Valdebebas. The Medical Staff and the player say he's 100% fit to play, so he has the same risk of getting injured as the rest of his team-mates. He will play because he is fit and because it will be a difficult game."

"I know what team I will use tomorrow. I think seriously about it to come up with the best option. Players have to think about each game at a time, but the coach has to be capable of looking ahead. Our most important match right now is the one against Osasuna. I won't give you my full lineup because I would like to leave two or three positions unknown to give the opponent coach something to think about. I will only announce my starting eleven when my rival announces his. Ramos, Pepe Carvalho and Marcelo will surely play in defence. Khedira and Xabi Alonso will take on midfield duties. Cristiano will play with Higuain. I cannot confirm if Canales will be a starter."

"I like Benzema's work with France. His goal was important to his team. He was tired and slightly niggled when he returned, but he's worked well. Every player on this squad is important because we have games every two or three days. I haven't been very lucky with our schedule, which complicates things. Benzema and Higuain are important to us. They have to do whatever's necessary to meet our demands. Benzema did well in en Bosnia, but it is more important to me for a player to work well than to play well. Talented players have to work hard because talent is implicit. Benzema's mentality has changed and he is currently working with personal ambition."

"Regarding the team get-together, I must say I think each of my decisions through very carefully. If those who work under me like them, fine; if they don't, that's fine as well."

"I wish to thank Camacho for his kind words. We trained together in Portugal and we've never had a problem between us. We've always had great respect for each other. I admire him. Very few people in football aren't hypocrites. Camacho is true, honest and isn't afraid to speak his mind. I hope the Bernabeu greets him as he deserves. I haven't done anything for Real Madrid, but he has. He has Real Madrid in his blood. He won league titles at the Club and I hope the fans never forget this. I also hope he loses as a Madridista tomorrow."

"I want Portugal to win regardless of the coach. Portuguese players have won Ballon d'Ors in the past, but the country's football is going through a difficult situation. I don't like to see Portugal lose or draw games. I hope things change. They have good enough players to turn the situation around. I would like Aragones to be the new national coach because he is very experienced, but my conviction is that national teams should be coached by men from the country itself. Having said that, whoever ends up coaching Portugal will have my support. It would be even better if I could help by working with Portuguese players for the national team."

Real Madrid's Jose Mourinho: I Would Risk Home Record To Ensure Victory Over Osasuna

Real Madrid coach insists points and not records are his concern, as he defends his eight-year unbeaten home league run as a manager.

Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho insists that his teams take risks in order to win games and that his eight-year unbeaten home record as a coach will hold no bearing over how he sets up his side.

Mourinho last suffered a league defeat at home in February 2002, and has gone through spells since then with Porto, Chelsea and Inter without losing a league match in front of his own supporters.

Speaking in a press conference today, the Portuguese stated that maintaining his incredible run is not a concern, and if his team are not winning late in the game, he will risk everything in order to gain the three points.

He remarked: “I do not do anything to keep this record. In many games, my teams have been tied and I have had to take risks to win. In a championship, it is better to win five and lose one rather than draw five. I do not want records, I want points.

“If tomorrow we are drawing 0-0 with a few minutes to go, I will ask my team to take risks to win.”

Mourinho also had time to praise Osasuna head coach Jose Antonio Camacho, with whom he shared a rivalry when he was in charge of Porto and Camacho was in the Benfica dugout.

He said of the former los Blancos boss: “I admire him because he is not a hypocrite, he speaks his mind, which is rare in the world of football. I have not done anything for Madrid, but Camacho has won leagues and cups here.”

Jose Mourinho: Real Madrid's win over Osasuna was easy

First win of the season was no problem says boss...

Real Madrid managed just one goal as they ousted Osasuna in La Liga's second matchday, but home coach Jose Mourinho felt that this margin of victory belied a much simpler performance.

He told Marca, "That was an easy match to win, no problem about it. (Iker) Casillas didn't have a single save to make, easy or otherwise.

"It wasn't a great game. The second half was better than the first but I know how to build a team, as shown by the fact that we've played two and conceded none.

"I'm happy with the fact that we have three points and that we totally controlled the game. On the bench I felt no pressure or fear. But we didn't quite have the feeling of goalscoring like we've had in the past at the Bernabeu. The people want to see more, and I want to as well."

On that subject the Portuguese stated that what the fans felt of the performance was entirely up to them.

"The fans are the ones who pay me, so I have to shut up and accept what they say," he shrugged.

"That's not something you need to interpret. I just need to work hard and completely satisfy the fans. I'll never say a word against the Bernabeu fans. I can like them or not, I would prefer support. But I'll never criticise: I will always accept."

Tactics

Karim Benzema started on the right, much to the surprise of some fans but Mourinho offered his explanation.

"That was a bit risky because it meant there was no striker on the bench in the case that we wanted to mix things up," said Jose.

"But it sent out a good message to Benzema, namely that he can play alongside (Gonzalo) Higuain and Cristiano (Ronaldo). He had some good moments.

"It's possible to play with three attackers but only if they can all defend. In the first half Osasuna's creative players had time on the ball. In the second they didn't, because we pressured them more, which was the right thing to do."

On the subject of Mesut Oezil playing ahead of Kaka, Mourinho said, "Things aren't difficult for Kaka now - I want both of them. I have four players with serious injuries, but Oezil isn't causing any difficulties for anyone. Today he was very important for the team and if he'd just managed a goal it would have been a great debut.

"Like Sami (Khedira), who had a great game, he's improving. These are new players and they need encouragement and affirmation from the Bernabeu. Ricardo (Carvalho) and Pedro (Leon) also earn that kind of leeway from the fans."