Bellazon

Jose Mourinho
Thumbnail

madristar

Mourinho met his wife Tami when they were teenagers in Setúbal, Portugal, and the couple married in 1989. Their first child, daughter Matilde, was born in 1996 and they had their first son, José, Jr., four years later. Mourinho, whilst dedicated to football, describes his family as the centre of his life and has noted that the "most important thing is my family and being a good father." He was selected as the New Statesman Man of the Year 2005 and was described as a man devoted to both his family and his work.

From Wikipedia

Mourinho aware of cultural issues

Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho believes he will have to adapt his playing philosophy to bring success to the Bernabeu.

Mourinho favoured a 4-3-3 formation at Chelsea and enjoyed success with a similar system at Inter Milan, but believes local conditions will define the team's playing style in Madrid.

"The cultural aspect is very important," Mourinho said in an interview with El Pais.

"It's impossible for a coach to go to a country and say 'This is my system, my playing philosophy'.

"Will I be able to do at Madrid the same thing I did at Inter in terms of playing style? Impossible. The cultural aspect is very important.

"Chelsea are champions of England, but if they played in the Primera Division they wouldn't win. Just as Barca wouldn't win the Premier League.

"The construction of your team must be carried out in accordance with the culture (of that place). I will respect the cultural aspect at Madrid."

Nevertheless, Mourinho wants his Madrid side to play attacking football.

"I have an obsession to play attacking and attractive football at Madrid," he added.

Mourinho faces the challenge of returning the good times to the Bernabeu following a period of dominance by fierce rivals Barcelona.

Mourinho worked under Bobby Robson and Louis van Gaal at the Catalan club in the late 1990s and knows current coach Pep Guardiola, then Barca captain, very well.

The Portuguese believes Guardiola, who last night won his eighth title since taking over at the Nou Camp as his side claimed the Supercopa with a 4-0 win over Sevilla, is perfectly suited to Barca.

"Pep is the perfect coach for Barca," Mourinho added. "He is Catalan, he is cule (a Barca fan), he was born there, came through the youth system, is friends with (former Barca player and coach Johan) Cruyff, and there are a lot of fans that love him.

"When (Sandro) Rosell was named president they offered him a six-year contract. I would have offered him 10."

Mourinho is not a lifelong Madrid fan himself, but says there is currently nobody more passionate about the club than him.

"There is no Madrid fan that loves the club more than me," he said.Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho believes he will have to adapt his playing philosophy to his new surroundings to bring success to the Bernabeu.

Mourinho favoured a 4-3-3 formation at Chelsea and enjoyed success with a similar system at Inter Milan, but believes local conditions will define the team's playing style in Madrid.

Mourinho: No more signings for Real!

Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho has announced that his club will not make any more signings this summer.

As it stands, the club already have 26 players in their squad and need to trim it down to 25.

Mourinho said that his side was good enough to challenge for silverware this season, and would not be adding to the numbers any further.

Speaking to his team's website, Mourinho said: "I agree with the club. It's made important financial efforts and the current squad has great quality.

"We'll need luck in order to avoid problems during the season.

"I am grateful to the club for making such a great effort to sign quality players."

He did not elaborate who was the player who would have to leave though.

"We have 26 players right now and we want there to be 25", Mourinho added.

"Someone will leave, but no one else will arrive.

"The decision of who might leave will depend on the player's perception of the chances he may or may not have of playing this year.

"I cannot understand players who wish to stay at a club knowing they will hardly get any chances to play."

When asked about his line-up for the Santiago Bernabeu Trophy clash against Penarol, the Portuguese manager refused to respond.

"I will not share the line-up with you because the players still don't know what I will do tomorrow.

"I don't want them to find out through the press.

"I've called up 23 players, but I wish to have 22 for the match; just two goalkeepers as opposed to three.

"[sergio] Ramos, [Cristiano] Ronaldo, [iker] Casillas and [Xabi] Alonso didn't play against Hercules and they will play 70 or 80 minutes tomorrow.

"This will be our first home game. They all did well in the pre-season and therefore deserve to play.

Mourinho also gave an insight towards how he would use Real Madrid's youngsters this season.

"The academy deserves it all and we will have to wait for the right time", the manager said.

"A youth teamer can't face fire without being ready. It would mean his end as opposed to his start.

"We must know how to wait. Eight youth teamers have played several minutes with us this month."

Mourinho also gave his thoughts on Real's pre-season preparations.

"I can't expect more from the pre-season.

"I haven't had much time to work with my men because they joined the team gradually throughout the summer, but I'm happy with the attitude showcased by players who wish to work and improve.

"Good results will come easier the more we work. I don't expect the team to be in top form tomorrow, nor against Mallorca. I expect positive reactions to the friendlies we've played so far.

Five reasons why Real Madrid will win La Liga this season

The argument in favour of a Merengues triumph...

The new Spanish Primera Division season starts in a matter of days and once again Real Madrid and Barcelona will be the outright favourites. Having won the championship for the past two years in a row, Barca will start the campaign as slight favourites as they have a more coherent and well-functioning team and have also added star striker David Villa to their ranks.

But Real Madrid have signed a Galactico in coach Jose Mourinho and with club president Florentino Perez keeping faith in the Portuguese's transfer transactions, there is renewed hope and optimism ahead of the 2010-11 campaign. Here are five good reasons to believe that Madrid will conquer Spain once again.

1) Jose Mourinho

This is easily the most important and what could eventually be the most decisive factor in deciding the championship in Spain this season. Mourinho went to Chelsea in 2004 and won the Premier League in his first season with the Blues and in his first year with Italian side Inter in 2008-09, he won the Scudetto as well.

One of the best coaches of all time, Mourinho has been recruited by Madrid much against their own footballing philosophy to make them a winning unit again and impart the winning mentality that Mourinho is so famous for. The Portuguese has already commenced weaving his magic as the Blancos were unbeaten in pre-season and despite falling behind to Los Angeles Galaxy and Hercules clawed their ways back each time, demonstrating that they are already becoming a tougher unit.

2. Young but experienced team with depth

Madrid have made six signings, out of which five players - Sergio Canales, Mesut Oezil, Angel di Maria, Sami Khedira and Pedro Leon - are 23 years old or under. Gonzalo Higuain, Ezequiel Garay, Esteban Granero, Roysten Drenthe, Marcelo and Karim Benzema all in that same bracket as well, while Sergio Ramos, Fernando Gago, Lassana Diarra, Raul Albiol and Cristiano Ronaldo are either only 24 or 25.

Madrid have one of the youngest teams in Europe but theirs is one with experience and depth. There is competition for places and indeed this will propel the players to strech themselves to the limit, which can only be good for Mourinho and his plans. Veterans like Iker Casillas, Kaka, Pepe, Ricardo Carvalho and Xabi Alonso will add experience to the team and make it a balanced side.

3. Cristiano Ronaldo

For once, Cristiano Ronaldo is not making the headlines. Last season the Portuguese winger was one of the best players in Spain and in Europe, scoring 26 goals in just 28 starts in La Liga, but his inability to inspire Madrid to any trophy augmented by his failure to do anything at the World Cup except for a few moments of skill against North Korea has put him in the dark. Ronaldo is no longer being talked about as the main candidate for this year's FIFA Ballon d'Or.

Inspired | Ronaldo will need similar form to last season

And this will inspire Ronaldo to reach greater heights in 2010-11. The 25-year-old was arguably the second best attacking player in Spain last season after Lionel Messi and he will be on his toes to wrestle the tag of the world's best player from the Barca star. Ronaldo is a proven match-winner, a desequilibrar, and he will be inspired especially under Mourinho to turn on the style this season.

4. Better defence

Even last season Madrid's defence wasn't exceptionally bad - although it wasn't exactly one of the best in Europe either - but under Mourinho it will certainly be better. The Portuguese is known for his pragmatic approach to the game and one of his forte is to make his team's backline the key to winning matches. One of the best centre-backs in the Premier League and a former Champions League winner, Ricardo Carvalho, has been recruited and his presence will hugely boost Madrid at the back. Sergio Ramos's return to form after going through a rather modest spell will also be crucial and so will Marcelo's improvement over the past two years that has seen him become a more complete player both at left-wing and at left-back.

5. Barcelona's cycle

In 2005 and 2006 Barcelona won La Liga and then for the two subsequent seasons Madrid won the league. For the past two years Barcelona have won the league and this cycle is destined to come to an end. The last time a team won three or more successive league championships was Barca when the 'Dream Team' won the Primera Division titles from 1991 to 1994.

Time's up? | Is it Real Madrid's turn?

Yet this time with the arrival of Jose Mourinho at the Bernabeu, several of Barca's World Cup stars were kept busy throughout the summer. With Pep Guardiola's squad remaining as thin as last season's - if not thinner - there is a suspicion that things could get tough even for what remains arguably the most talented bunch of players on the planet.

Real Madrid boss Jose Mourinho rules out moves for Chelsea's Didier Drogba & Manchester City's Emmanuel Adebayor

'No chance' of duo heading for Bernabeu...

Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho will not be plundering the Premier League for strikers it seems, after the Portuguese ruled out making a move for either Manchester City forward Emmanuel Adbebayor or Chelsea star Didier Drogba.

Adebayor was an unused substiute for City in their 3-0 home win over Liverpool on Monday evening and rumours have linked Mourinho with an approach for the Togolese forward. But, speaking to Sky Sports News, Mourinho insisted that the striker was not on his wanted list.

"I think no chance," Mourinho stated, when asked if a bid was likely.

"The historical dimension of Real Madrid and Manchester City you can't compare. But the economical dimension you can compare.

"And maybe they will win (the Premier League). So I think at the minute Man City is the club to keep their best players and to buy the players that nobody expects them to buy.

"I don't think, just one year after buying Emmanuel from Arsenal, he's the player to leave."

And Mourinho was equally unequivocal when it came to the prospects of Real snapping up Drogba.

"Again, no chance," he insisted.

Meanwhile, the Portuguese also acknoledges that City's enormous wealth is making it all but impossible to compete with them for players.

Mourninho lost out on Aleksander Kolarov this summer, with the Serbian defender opting to join the Citizens instead.

"I understand that if someone wants to compete with them for a player it is very difficult, they are dominant in the market," he explained.

"The player they say they want is the player they get.

"I was interested in Kolarov when I came here but I couldn't compete with them as they went to values that I couldn't.

"If they have the money they can do it, if they have the ambition to win the Premier League they can do it."

As for their chances in the Premier League, Mourinho sees them as likely title contenders, unlike Liverpool, who he thinks are in for a season of hard work as Roy Hodgson looks to turn things round at Anfield.

"I believe Chelsea, Man United and Man City, that's it," he replied, when asked as to his thoughts on who would be the Premier League's title challengers.

"It's very difficult for Roy Hodgson as over the last three years they have been getting worse, worse and worse. He needs time."

Real Madrid Coach Jose Mourinho Identifies Sergio Ramos & Sami Khedira As Emergency Goalkeepers

Portuguese prepares for every contingency...

Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho has revealed that either Sergio Ramos or Sami Khedira will deputise in goal for los Merengues in an emergency situation where they lose both goalkeepers in one game.

Mourinho told a press conference in Madrid that he has prepared for the possibility of losing both Iker Casillas and second choice stopper Jerzy Dudek in the same game and decided upon the versatile defender and German midfielder as the players to fill in should both 'keepers get injured or sent off in one game.

The Portuguese trainer also declared that both Ramos and Khedira will train every week with the goalkeepers just in case they are called upon to perform between the sticks for los Blancos.

"We already know who will be the goalkeeper if we lose two. It will be Sergio Ramos or [sami] Khedira. We train and arrived at these conclusions," he declared.

"It has happened twice already and can happen again. Now, every week Khedira and Sergio Ramos will train in goal just in case."

The stand-in shot stoppers are not the only players expected to perform outside their regular position in Mourinho's new regime at the Bernabeu.

"[Alvaro] Arbeloa is not a central defender. If we are in trouble he can play there. Yesterday I tried [Fernando] Gago in defence. Cristiano [Ronaldo] likewise, is not a fixed forward. In this position, you lose certain features," Mourinho revealed.

Mourinho obsessed with success"

Real Madrid sporting director Jorge Valdano has been pleasantly surprised by the flexible approach of new coach Jose Mourinho.

Mourinho arrived at the Bernabeu this summer on the back of winning a Serie A, Coppa Italia and Champions League treble with Inter Milan last season.

And Valdano has been impressed by what he has seen of the Portuguese so far.

"I believe it was necessary to bring in a man with strong leadership skills and that is represented, better than anyone in today's football, by Jose Mourinho," he told Onda Cero.

"It is easy to have an understanding with him. He has a feeling for the club, is passionate about his work, obsessive about success and everything he suggests is reasonable.

"I thought he was a fanatic, but he is a person with a very flexible intelligence."

Madrid have brought in five new players for the season and were reported to be in the market for another striker, but Valdano insisted there would be no more signings this transfer window.

"There won't be any more signings - no striker will come in," he said.

Gonzalo Higuain and Karim Benzema are the only recognised out-and-out strikers now at the club, but Valdano claimed others can fill in if necessary.

"I have seen (Mesut) Ozil play (up front) for (former club) Werder Bremen and Cristiano Ronaldo can play there as well," he said

Madrid were linked all summer with a move for Inter full-back Maicon, who Mourinho coached at Inter, but Valdano claimed the the Serie A side wanted more than Madrid were willing to play for the Brazilian.

"His price didn't reflect what the club were willing to pay. Everything has a limit, even for Real Madrid," he said.

Valdano revealed "two or three" players were likely to be leaving the club, with midfielder Mahamadou Diarra set to be one.

"We will be comfortable with two or three exits," he said. "He (Diarra) is the only one we have spoken in a direct manner, but we have spoken to some of the other players that will have difficulties to win a place in the first team."

Valdano also called for patience as they try to win the Primera Division crown back from Barcelona.

"We are talking about a team that plays from memory, a team that has come about following 20 years of using just one playing style," he said.

"Barcelona are living a great dream.

"But when they wake up from that dream, Real Madrid will be there."

Mourinho blasts Fabio Capello

Jose Mourinho has claimed England will never win while under-fire boss Fabio Capello is in charge.

Capello on Wednesday awoke to another wave of criticism in the tabloids, with the Sun branding him a "donkey", and Mourinho has added his voice to the onslaught.

"The problem is the manager," Mourinho said in the Daily Mirror. "Capello will not work for England."

Capello is one of Mourinho's numerous predecessors at Real Madrid, a club the Portuguese coach says still remembers his managerial flaws.

"He has a one-track relationship with players," he said. "Ask anyone here at Real Madrid. He can't change. You cannot go around just shouting at players. They need to feel special.

"It is clear. Capello will not work for England. He does not know the players. They are frightened of him and they can't play for him.

"For me, it is a mess for England. Players need clear tactics. They cannot be confused about what they have to do. It is the manager's fault. And it is a big shame."

Capello is not the only manager to take a hit from Mourinho, as he also laid into his successor at Inter Milan, Rafael Benitez, saying he left Liverpool further from challenging for the title than ever.

"It is very difficult for Roy (Hodgson) to do it with Liverpool as, over the last few years, they have been getting worse, worse and worse," Mourinho said in the Daily Telegraph.

"The Liverpool of 2004 was better than the Liverpool of 2005, 2005 was better than 2006 and 2006 better than 2007.

"And they arrive at a situation now where, but for Jamie Carragher, Steven Gerrard, Pepe Reina, Fernando Torres, if his head is there, it is very difficult for Roy to make Liverpool champions.

"He needs time and it's not easy because I don't think they went in the right direction."

Benitez hits back at noisy Mourinho

Inter Milan manager Rafa Benitez has taken a swipe at Jose Mourinho ahead of his side's UEFA Super Cup tie against Atletico Madrid.

In a thirty-minute interview with Inter fans, the Spaniard dismissed any notion that the 'Special One' was the reason behind the club's historic treble winning season last term.

"A coach never wins by himself," he said.

"He wins with the players, the club and the fans. We all win together."

Mourinho, who is currently managing Spanish giants Real Madrid, never enjoyed a good relationship with the ex-Liverpool boss, especially during his time as Chelsea manager. Recently, The Portuguese even claimed that Benitez will not have to work as hard as he did for success at Inter because the Spaniard has arrived to "find everything ready, the club and the players."

"First of all, I'm surprised that Mourinho spoke, because he doesn't usually speak, right? He doesn't speak about anything," Benitez jokingly said.

"This is a strong team, and it was also a strong team when he [Mourinho] arrived. It's always more or less the same, we always talk about who wins: the players and the club.

"He's not here now, but if everything was perfect, why isn't he here? Because he chose to go to another team, and it was his decision. Instead, I am here and I am very happy.

"The team is a good team and the club is strong, the fans follow the team, the players and the coach. I am very happy and I don't like talking a lot. He talks, but he is on the outside. It's better for us just to concentrate on our work."

Champions League winners Inter take on Europa League champions Atletico Madrid in Monaco for the UEFA Super Cup on Friday.

Mourinho: "To stand undefeated at the end of the preseason is very good indeed"

Realmadrid.com

Jose Mourinho was satisfied with his team's performance, but regretted Fernando Gago's injury.

"There have been positive and negative things tonight, just like in any other game. We've played two fixtures in three days and we had to control the amount of minutes played by all our men, including those from the academy. The worst thing tonight was Gago's injury because it looks serious."

"Tonight's match was a realistic test because many teams in La Liga will play against us like Peñarol did tonight. They will focus on defending and will showcase positive aggressiveness. It wasn't important to win tonight, but winning is always positive and to stand undefeated at the end of the preseason is very good indeed. We have to be more patient, move the ball better and pressurise more in attack."

"Our preseason was very difficult. We've had little time to come up with a new style taking into account the team has a new coach and six new players. We are satisfied with our work so far and we will improve with time. It will be easier to improve by winning."

"This is a very young squad, but full of quality. We have European champions, World Cup winners and Ballon d'Or players. We have the emotional quality needed to play in any competition. What matters is that we have room to grow, to be solid and to play at a medium-high level while being consistent in our style and results."

"I don't like Lass much as a full back, but he does very well nevertheless. He keeps possession. He has greater quality to construct the team's game than natural defenders."

"My decisions are the product of circumstance and of what my players have to offer. It's a shame Mateos can't join us, but I like him a lot and I would like him to be part of the first team."

"I like Van der Vaart. He played less today because we had to play other men that needed more playing time. Cristiano had to play more today because he didn't face Hercules."

"Di Maria is going to grow as a player. He is 21 years old, creative and unbalancing. It is hard to stop him once he's on the run."

"Mallorca are the same side they were last year and they will face us at their stadium, so the game will be difficult. Nevertheless, we are Real Madrid and we will do our best to take three points."