Bellazon

Jose Mourinho
Thumbnail

madristar

"Just let Mourinho do his job"

Real Madrid director Emilio Butragueno has backed Jose Mourinho and promised not to meddle in team affairs.

Speaking to his club's official website, Butragueno said: "We need to let Mourinho do his job."

"He is a fantastic coach who is used to winning and getting the most out of his players. He has proven it over the last ten years.

"This team will continue to improve. We must be patient. It's going to be a long year. Mourinho is a tremendous professional and we are very pleased so far. I am sure he will make us proud."

Butragueno elaborated on the club's reliance on Cristiano Ronaldo, and what he meant to the La Liga side.

"Scoring always increases a player's confidence. Cristiano Ronaldo is an admirable player. He is a symbol of sacrifice, passion and ambition. A player with such a personality will always be relevant to us," he said.

"How we perform is all that matters. Barcelona is a great team and will be a fierce opponent until the end. We must bolster our strengths in order to be the team that we want to be.

The director also spoke about his side's 6-1 win over Deportivo.

"The team deserved to win last night. We didn't take advantage of scoring chances in previous matches, but against Deportivo we managed to get out of the rut. Those who were on hand for the match went home with smiles on their faces", Butragueno added.

"We scored our first two chances on goal, which helped us manage the game in a much more relaxed way. We are all aware of this team's offensive potential. It was just a matter of time before we scored a lot of goals. On the other hand, we could have only scored four yesterday and left one for Mallorca and another for our last trip to Valencia.

"We hope this was a turning point, but we know there will be obstacles. We still have to play some very talented teams and this team is still in its development stage."

Mourinho: Real under construction

Jose Mourinho refused to get carried away with Real Madrid's 6-1 demolition of Deportivo La Coruna.

Despite winning five of their seven Primera Division and Champions League matches and remaining unbeaten under new boss Mourinho, Madrid have found themselves under the spotlight for their poor goal return - with just nine netted before last night's clash with Depor.

The capital club finally found their shooting boots at a rain-drenched Bernabeu to double their previous total of league goals for the season in just 90 minutes of action, earning a standing ovation from the Madrid fans as they left the pitch at half-time.

That reaction was in stark contrast to their recent home match against Osasuna, when the Spanish giants were jeered off by their supporters following a poor first half, and there can be few complaints about Madrid's display against Depor.

However, Mourinho took the victory and the criticism he has faced in his stride, saying after the match: "This game wasn't much different to the one against Ajax (a 2-0 Champions League win), but we won 6-1.

"We didn't create more chances than against Mallorca and Levante (both 0-0 draws). It's been a complete game. We ought to have 18 points, but we've lost four.

"We look above and see there are still teams in front of us. We need to continue working."

The Portuguese, who led Inter Milan to an unprecedented treble of Serie A, Coppa Italia and Champions League titles last season, added: "The doubts people have motivate me and make me laugh. I don't understand why there are doubts about a coach who has won what I've won.

"I haven't won three Champions League and seven championships - I've won two Champions Leagues and six championships. Is that sufficient to coach here? If so, I'll continue working with calmness.

"We are not the best team in the world for beating Depor 6-1, not were we the worst for drawing with Levante. We are a team under construction.

"I have the confidence of the president and the board. If they let me work here for four years, I promise a great team. We will have games likes this one and like the one against Levante."

Madrid are third in the Primera Division standings on 14 points heading into the international break, two behind leaders Valencia and one in front of arch rivals Barcelona.

Mourinho shrugs off applause for win

Even after a 6-1 win over Deportivo La Coruna, Real Madrid boss Jose Mourinho is not satisfied with his side.

The Portuguese insists Real Madrid are still "under construction" and has asked the fans not to get carried away their victory at the Santiago Bernebeu.

"We are not the best team in the world yet for having beaten Depor 6-1," Mourinho told Eurosport.

"We are under construction and neither the result nor the applause of the fans makes me think our work is done.

"The work continues. I am very calm.

"We have a lot to do and a lot of work."

Mourinho emphasised that he still had the mandate of the club, saying: "I have the confidence of my president and I have the confidence of the board."

The manager showed his prickly side when he was asked about his credentials to manage Real Madrid, saying: "If you have doubts about a coach who has won what I have then you have to explain what qualities a coach should have to have the right to work in your country.

"You have to tell me if I have to have won three Champions Leagues and seven domestic league titles.

"I have two Champions Leagues and six domestic league titles.

"Is that enough to have the right to work here? If so, great. I'll continue with my work."

The trophy-laden coach had been under-fire from the notoriously demanding Real fans after the goal drought as well as what has been perceived to be overly-defensive tactics that were stifling stars like Cristiano Ronaldo.

Mourinho: No magic answer for Real

Jose Mourinho has tried to temper expectations of Real fans waiting for him to end Barcelona's domination.

Mourinho, who dubbed himself a "Special One" when he took over at Chelsea, took over at the Bernabeu this summer with the task of turning them back into Europe's top team.

The Portuguese told the BBC's Football Focus programme: "The supporters demand a lot, the press they demand a lot, I work hard so I can do things.

"They think the coach is Harry Potter, I'm not Harry Potter."

He added: "Success for me would be in the four years of my contract to make the 10th Champions League for the club and stop the Barca domination.

"I think I find a way to stop them in our matches but the problem is that the championship is not about two matches, it's about 38."

Asked if Madrid were the biggest club in the world, he said: "I think so, amazing club, you feel it in every moment.

"I used to say when we arrive in any airport in the world or even in Spain it looks like the Beatles arriving in San Francisco in the 60s."

Mourinho would relish facing Chelsea in the final of the Champions League.

"I would sign now," he said.

"Being in the final playing against Chelsea - or playing against Timbuktu Football Club - I would sign now."

He added: "I keep an eye (on Chelsea) all the time, lots of friends there and that never changed. Great relation with the club.

"(Manager) Carlo (Ancelotti) is a great man, also very good relation with him. Chelsea has everything I like."

On former Manchester United forward and compatriot Cristiano Ronaldo, he said: "Incredible potential. Another one that has to feel the pressure, has to feel expectation because everyone thinks Ronaldo can dribble (past) 10 (players) and score goals and make the difference every game.

"This is not easy pressure to cope with. Potential incredible, desire and commitment and professionalism top. Every word Sir Alex (Ferguson) told me about him is completely true, the boy is fantastic."

Mourinho: I wanted Portugal job

Jose Mourinho says he was desperate to serve as stand-in Portugal coach but understands Real Madrid's decision not to free him.

Mourinho was the top choice to take charge of his national side for the forthcoming Euro 2012 qualifiers against Denmark and Portugal after Carlos Queiroz was sacked but eventually admitted defeat due to his club commitments at the Bernabeu.

The former Inter Milan and Chelsea boss did, though, admit he had started to get the taste for the role.

"For two days I felt and I thought like the Portugal coach," he told the Association of Football Coaches.

"I liked it but I have to admit that Real Madrid is a giant institution, which 'bought' me from Inter, who pay me, and who cannot takes risks in front of their members and fans.

"In retrospect, it's an easy decision to understand," said Mourinho, who nevertheless conceded he felt "sadness and frustration" at the missed opportunity to lead his country.

Paulo Bento was handed the reins in Mourinho's absence and the 47-year-old said: "I wish luck to Paulo. Portugal now have a coach and he should be recognised by everyone as our coach."

Mourinho is who Real Madrid needed

While serving as a benefactor to the U-12 World Cup in South Africa, Zinedine Zidane sat down with Marca to discuss Real Madrid and his desire to pay it forward.

"My mind is at ease and I have faith in Mourinho. The same goes for the players, who are young and very talented."

"Mourinho is just what Real Madrid needed. The team required a change. It needed a strict coach with a personality, and I think he fits that profile to perfection."

"It's probably a good time to look at the team's results. We have won the two Champions League matches played and are first in the group, and in La Liga we are also at the top of the table with four wins and two draws. There is always room for improvement, but this is a good pace taking into consideration all the new players and new coach. So we need to give them time."

"I've reached a point in my life where I would like to help out much in the same way people helped me. Football gave me everything, which is why I want to use my experience to help younger generations. There are a lot of needy people out there, so I do everything I can to help. We can't take care of everyone unfortunately, but I do give my all because I know I am helping those who deserve it."

Iker Casillas:" Mourinho is a phenomenon"

Iker Casillas talked shop while with the Spanish national team.

"We are very happy because we've done our homework for the next two weeks. We played well against Deportivo, we won and our style was convincing. The fans are also happy, and that's the most important thing for us."

"I didn't know Mourinho personally before he joined us. If you talk to him for 15 minutes, you only need one to realise what he's like. He is a phenomenon in every sense of the word. The only minor problem I have with him is that he continues to make us have team get-togethers before each game (smiles). Seriously, we are doing very well with him. The team gradually plays more games and continues to grow. It isn't easy. Our age average is very young and that is something very noticeable at Real Madrid, but demands are high here and they help you fight to the end of each season."

"We've always had faith in our style. People dubbed us uneffective despite the many chances on goal we had against Mallorca, Ajax and Osasuna, but against Deportivo people could see how we scored three goals from our first three or four chances. The merit for this belongs to all of us. There have been many changes to the lineup, but we've all contributed to the team's success. We also experienced luck against Auxerre. The entire team defends well, even from set pieces. It may seem I have less work to do this year, but I can assure you I must concentrate hard in clearings, exits, etc."

"I know it seems I am less active now, but you never lose focus in a game and conceding one goal is always annoying. I was lucky to defeat Deportivo's Lassard in a one-on-one, but I think more about the goal I conceded. I'd rather win 2-0 or 3-0 than 6-1."

"It is very hard to earn two consecutive victories in the Champions League. We are placed well on the table at the moment, but we can't afford to relax in our group. We have two games against Milan coming up which will define our role in the championship."

"There are many absences on the Spanish national side that have been covered with newcomers or players who had played for the team in the past, but the core of the squad is intact. Our games against Lithuania and Scotland will be very difficult, but by winning we will have practically qualified for the next Euro. All teams are extra motivated when facing the current World and European champions."

Mourinho: I don't need Gareth Bale

Real Madrid boss Jose Mourinho has ruled out a swoop for Gareth Bale after insisting he doesn't want another left winger.

Real have been repeatedly linked with a move for Wales star Bale, who has been a revelation at Tottenham since switching from full-back to a midfield role.

Spurs rejected an approach for Bale from an unnamed club this summer, which also saw the 21-year-old sign a new four-year contract at White Hart Lane.

That has failed to calm speculation over his future but Mourinho claims he is not currently in the market for a left-sided player after being won over by Brazilian Marcelo.

He told Spanish television station Gol T: "Madrid are constantly being linked with this player and that player but I want to say that I do not want another left winger.

"Marcelo now has offensive quality and defensively he is growing.

"I didn't like anything about Marcelo when I arrived because I thought he could do everything but defend but now I am a lover of his."

Mourinho: Ronaldo is best, not Messi

Jose Mourinho has given his opinion on who he thinks is the best player in the world - and it is not Lionel Messi.

The Real Madrid coach was interviewed by Telemadrid in regards to his development of his project at the Bernabeu and was conveniently probed on who he believes is the best in the business - Barcelona's Messi or his very own Cristiano Ronaldo.

And there was no doubt in the Portuguese's mind.

He said: "There are two options - Cristiano, and Messi. If you consider Cristiano to be one, then Messi is two. But for me it is clear - Cristiano is number one."

The self-proclaimed Special one also claimed that if he had to choose a piece of silverware to win this season, he would gladly put his hands back on the Champions League trophy he won with Inter last season.

He remarked: "The Champions League is the competition of competitions. It's the most important and largest in terms of quality.

"I do not want to sound selfish, but I want the Champions League this year because I want to defend my title, but to also bring it to Real Madrid where it belongs."

The 47-year-old has made a strong start in becoming the first coach to successfully defend their Champions League title the following season after leading Madrid to a perfect start to the campaign so far - winning both their opening matches and sitting comfortably on top of Group G, two points ahead of closest rival AC Milan.

is worth reading.

"It's important for players to know their coach supports them"

"I was happy with our game in Auxerre. The Champions League is a different competition. If you lose one of the six first games you're in trouble. Auxerre played on Saturday and I believed we could have shown signs of exhaustion in the second half. That's why I used a stronger side, focusing on recovering the ball until the decisive moment came for me to bring out Ozil and Di Maria. The team's response was positive and we won."

"Teams are constantly evolving, so you will always hear me use the word 'construction'. I'm happy with my team right now. If we had scored at least one goal from all the chances we had in the games we drew we would have won all of our official games so far. My players should remain calm and men like Cristiano and Higuain need the support of their coach. It's important for players to know their coach is with them. Cristiano Ronaldo and Higuain will continue to play as long as I want them to. The pressure from the press won't determine that."