Bellazon

David Beckham
Thumbnail

Evelyn

Beckham refuses to criticise Real Madrid coach Capello

tribalfooball.com - April 25, 2007

David Beckham refuses to criticise Real Madrid coach Fabio Capello over the way he was treated earlier this season.

Capello refused to select Beckham immediately after he agreed a deal with LA Galaxy, but later accepted he was wrong to freeze out the midfielder.

"I haven't spoken to him about it," said Beckham. "But it is clear that he is a trainer who has a great personality, really has clear ideas and I am very thankful to him that he let me return to the team. I will never criticize him for what he did at that time, he is a man with great prestige in the world of football who deserves our respect.

"It doesn't matter if I have signed for another team, I am a professional. I will always put my body on the line in tackles and give 120 per cent.

"I adore this club and will give my all until the final day I am here."

Mijatovic Regrets Beckham's Madrid Exit

Real Madrid have admitted that they made a mistake in not trying to convince David Beckham to extend his contract at the Bernabéu in January.

The Spanish giants' sporting director, Predrag Mijatovic, revealed that he felt personally responsible for the confusion that occurred between club and player.

Negotiations last year broke down allowing Beckham to begin talks with other parties and he eventually agreed a pre-contract deal with MLS outfit LA Galaxy.

Allegations about the other party's behaviour during the saga were aired just after the English midfielder revealed his Stateside move and he was even told by coach Fabio Capello that he would never play for Madrid again.

So impressed though, have the club been with his professionalism and commitment that it now appears that Mijatovic is regretting Beckham slip through his fingers.

"When the season started we wanted David to stay, although we couldn't arrive at an agreement," the Serbian told The Sun.

"Looking back I realise that it was a mistake not to talk things through clearly.

"The comments in the press from me, the president and his agent confused the player and us and because of that mistakes were made."

Mijatovic has been in a reflective mood this week as he has already stated that he made a mistake in not defending the Madrid players against some harsh media criticism.

Madrid to appeal Beckham ban

Real Madrid are to appeal David Beckham's yellow card against Athletic Club, hoping that he will be available for next weekend's massive clash against Sevilla.

Beckham was punished for time-wasting over a free-kick in a match won 4-1 by Madrid in the San Mames in Bilbao at the weekend.

However the capital club, having viewed the incident on video, will now appeal the decision to hopefully clear Beckham for Sunday's top-of-the-table clash against the Andalusian outfit.

The former England captain, 31, was again outstanding in his first start since suffering injury several weeks ago. He created the opening goal for Sergio Ramos with a delightful free-kick floated to the far post.

Beckham, who will depart for the United States and Los Angeles Galaxy in July after four years with the club, has picked up ten bookings this season despite his injury lay-off and coach Fabio Capello's previous policy of non-selection due to his upcoming departure.

Madrid are third in La Liga, one point behind Sevilla and two behind leaders Barcelona, who face Real Sociedad next.

GALACTICOS GONE TOO SOON - BECKS

David Beckham told Guillem Balague on Revista de la Liga that the Galacticos left Real Madrid prematurely.

"Maybe the Galactico era is finished because people felt it was the right thing to do - to get rid of players that could actually play for another three years and maybe players felt that it was the right time to leave," said Beckham.

"The way Zizou played in the World Cup he could play for at least another two or three years in this team and I wish he was still here.

"I miss him a lot as a person and a player but we have to move on and when you know it's the right time you have to make that decision."

Perhaps Beckham, whose recent form has been earning rave reviews, also feels that he should still be at Real Madrid next season instead of playing in the much inferior MLS.

Revista's man in Spain, Graham Hunter, certainly believes that Real's Sporting Director, Predrag Mijatovic, did not do enough to keep Beckham in Madrid.

"Real Madrid have made a mistake [in getting rid of Beckham] and it could cost Predrag Mijatovic his job," said Hunter.

"If Beckham was asked to stay he would do."

According to Hunter there is still a chance that Beckham could remain at the Santiago Bernabeu next season.

"Real Madrid could buy out the clause if LA Galaxy were willing. But that would be a high risk as it puts the player in the power seat, negotiation wise.

Balague is also adamant that Mijatovic should be held accountable for the fans favourite's premature departure.

"It was a brave decision by Mijatovic but it was a mistake," said Balague.

"Beckham had an agreement to stay at Real Madrid for another two years, something that former President Florentino Perez had put in place.

"That was not respected. Not just that but when the new people came in there was lots of 'oh we'll talk later'.

"Mijatovic was saying that kind of thing to Beckham's representatives. All of a sudden there was a big silence and when they finally met there wasn't the chemistry between Mijatovic who was showing himself to be a bit too arrogant for that kind of negotiation to be successful.

"Basically Mijatovic is to blame for David Beckham leaving Real Madrid too early.

"Now everybody realises this."

Beckham is aware that Real Madrid will have a tough time rebuilding the team in order to gain some much needed success.

"It is going to be difficult because the club is going through a period where we've not won any trophies for three seasons so far, could be four," said Beckham.

"If we don't win anything this season we know the fans and the people in Madrid will want more, they need more and they deserve more.

"So there has to be changes - whether that's with new players?

Becks:

Becks: 'Zizou's missed'

"People have been saying that all the Galacticos have to go and as each year goes past Zizou has gone, Ronnie has gone, Roberto is going and then I'm going.

"The club is changing but I think it's going to be difficult as there are other very good teams out there like Barca, Valencia and Sevilla."

Hunter is certain that, in hindsight, the club will rue their actions towards Beckham especially as Fabio Capello, who was reluctant to keep the former England captain, is unlikely to still be in charge.

"Remember that Mijatovic was being driven by Fabio Capello who was indifferent as to whether Beckham stayed or not," said Hunter.

"And then when LA Galaxy agreed a deal Capello kicked him out of the team, ludicrously, and he then ate humble pie.

"It shows you something about Beckham's character as he does love a put-down to bring the best out of him."