Bellazon

Leticia Zuloaga
Thumbnail

sarnic

http://numodemag.com/?p=1218

In an interview with TIMMOTHY LEE, Leticia was mentioned :)

PHOTOGRAPHER TIMMOTHY LEE

SUCH A HOLIDAY PG.308

How did you get started with graphic design and photography?

Ambitious or not, ever since childhood I’ve always dreamed to become some sort of ‘art person’ one day. However, as I grew up, this ‘unrealistic’ artist dream had once been fragmented into pieces, if not completely destroyed, by some more ‘realistic’ considerations. For instance, people around me would have me believe that it’d be hard to make a living as an artist. Hence, they said, the idea would not be practical at all. During my high school years, therefore, I had been led to envision that taking computer science studies in the university should help me kick start a meaningful career. After all, they all like to believe, a computer programmer is considered a prestigious job, if not a decently well paid one. And yet they didn’t seem to care about what I felt like doing. It was until then that I found myself determined to go after the life I’ve always wanted: the pursuit of creativity. That said, I was soon “back to square one”, pursuing my childhood art dreams without looking back. And life goes on: C’est la vie.

What inspires you the most when coming up with different shoots?

The answer to this can be tricky. I must say nothing inspires me and everything inspires me, relevantly or not. All it boils down is that it really depends on how much observation and time one’s willing to spend on a certain subject matter. It’s a lot to do with whether one is

being observant or not. To paraphrase what Coco Chanel once said: “Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street. Fashion has to do with ideas: the way we live, what is happening.” Similar philosophy can be applied to my interpretation of the concept of inspirations.

What has been your all time favorite shoot?

I would say all of them. Just as Richard Avedon once put it: I’ve worked out of a series of no’s. No to exquisite light, no to apparent compositions, no to the seduction of poses or narrative. And all these no’s force me to the “yes.” I have a white background. I have the person I’m interested in and the thing that happens between us.” And so, for me it’s really the process of making imagery that matters the most. Notwithstanding this belief, I have equal pleasure, joy and satisfaction in every single photo shoot.

Do you use the term “Image Maker” to solely refer to yourself as a designer/illustrator or would other photographers fit into this characterization?

I don’t know if other artists would like to be described as an image maker but personally I think “the name” suits me best. It’s simple and straightforward in a sense that it’d be able to describe what I do in the wide range of professional practices. Therefore, I favor creating visual images.

How do you feel your work stands out from the other image makers out there?

I’d try to be like ‘water’. This is similar to what my favorite martial art master and philosopher Bruce Lee once opined: “Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot.” As an image maker, I’m not only satisfying myself, but at the same time I’m trying to solve visual problems for others. There’s no such thing as “one” solution that works with all issues. I learn, I adapt, I apply.

Who or what would be your ideal client to shoot for?

I would say my ideal clients would be someone with whom I feel like I’d have chemical reactions. Like the situation in most scientific experiments, you will never really know what the results might turn out to be, unless you start mixing things together and see if it works.

Do you feel as though there are elements of yourself (i.e. your personal attitude, your self expression, emotions, etc) in your work?

Again, I must quote Bruce Lee for this one. “Do not do the techniques, express the techniques”. Like what some people say, “It’s not about what you can do, but it’s about how you do it.” No matter what style or look I’m using, I am always willing to put more of an original approach to it: The way of interrelating.

“As an image maker, I’m not only satisfying

myself, but at the same time I’m trying to

solve visual problems for others ”

Is there anyone (model, actress, notable figure) that you would love to have a photo session with?

Oh yes! There’re quite a few of them. But to prioritize, it’d be something like this: Natalia Vodianova, Simona Mcintyre, Diana Moldovan, Noreen Carmody, Leticia Zuloaga, Margaryta Senchylo and Emmi Hellsten. The Seven Stars of the Northern Dipper!

If you could reveal one secret about yourself, what would it be?

“I don’t use drugs, my dreams are frightening enough.”- M.C. Escher

What’s in the future of Timmothy Lee?

He’d like to learn some ninja flips, get signed by artist managements/representatives so that he cloud travel around the world and seek ‘the one he’s never met yet, but willing to put his whole heart to her’ (Lake House movie)

BY SHANNON GADDY

WWW.TIMMOTHYLEE.COM