Bellazon

Tom Hardy
Thumbnail

sweetspice

• 3 months later...

Tom Hardy shows he's a Star in 2002 screen test

TOM Hardy shows Star potential from an early age - as he auditions for a part in Star Trek back in 2002.

The rare footage shows the Dark Knight Rises actor in a sinister exchange with fellow Brit, Patrick Stewart.

Dressed in his famous black and red costume as Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Patrick spars with a baby-faced Tom.

The actor - just 24 at the time - went on to win the role of Praetor Shinzon in Star Trek: Nemesis after this impressive screen test.

Compelling ... Patrick Stewart and Tom Hardy spar in screen test

Youtube

Tom, 34, shaved his head for the part as Shinzon is supposed to be a clone of Picard.

And here he practises his evil nemisis stare as he confronts Picard with his mirror image.

Grimacing, he says: "Not quite the face you remember is it? A lifetime of violence will do that to you."

Fans may even detect a hint of Batman villain, Bane, in his chilling voice.

Video: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/film/4464772/Tom-Hardy-shows-hes-a-Star-in-2002-screen-test.html

th_tom-620_1558198a.jpg tom2-620_1558195a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Tom Hardy and Michael Shannon Take THE LONG RED ROAD

Once they’ve put their superhero films behind them, Tom Hardy (The Dark Knight Rises) andMichael Shannon (Man of Steel) will topline The Long Red Road. The feature film will be an adaptation of the Brett C. Leonard play by the same name. Hardy previously starred in the play as Sam, a man living on an Indian reservation in South Dakota who attempts to drink away his sorrows; Hardy will reprise his role in the film. Shannon is attached to play Sam’s older brother, Bob. Hit the jump for more on The Long Red Road.

zariety goes post-45017-0-1446429604-53341_thumb.jpgon to say th

at the plot ofThe Long Red Road thickens when a man from Sam’s past comes calling and Sam is forced to look at the road that led him to the man he has become. The theatrical version was previously directed by Phillip Seymour Hoffman,although there is no report as of yet that attaches the actor/director to the film. The Long Red Road will be the first feature from Whipsmart, headed byPaul Neesan and Richard Fant.

Hardy, who previously starred as the villainous Bane in this summer’s The Dark Knight Rises, will next be seen as one of the Bondurant brothers in John Hillcoat’s Depression-era drama,Lawless. He is currently filming Mad Max: Fury Road for director George Miller. Shannon will next appear as a nefarious character in Premium Rush, opposite Joseph Gordon-Levitt. He also stars as General Zod in next summer’s Man of Steel for Warner Bros. For those of you who are interested, take a look at this video behind the scenes of The Long Red Road, featuring Hardy and Hoffman:

Tom Hardy, Shia LaBeouf and Jason Clarke: the actors playing the Bondurant brothers in Lawless

Tom Hardy plays Forrest Bondurant, the laconic brother who controls the family's bootlegging operation

Hardy is a thinking man's tough guy. He combines a raw, muscular screen presence with a fierce intelligence that simmers beneath the surface and occasionally bubbles over.

As well as Forrest Bondurant in Lawless, the 34-year-old has played a number of men not to be messed with: the eponymous scourge of the British prison system in Nicolas Winding Refn's 2008 film Bronson; a martial arts fighter in last year's Warrior; and most recently the bull-necked villain Bane in The Dark Knight Rises. He has also turned in memorable performances in Inception and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (as agent Ricki Tarr).

As Bronson (a role for which he packed on three stone of muscle) Hardy was all talk, running verbal rings around wardens, psychologists and fellow prisoners and delivering unhinged soliloquies – when he wasn't laying waste to his surroundings. In Lawless, by contrast, as the family's seemingly indestructible middle brother Forrest, he speaks only when he has to. His default utterance is a grunt – that's how he responds when Jessica Chastain's glamorous dancer Maggie swans into town and takes a shine to him – but in spite of his taciturn nature, you can feel the heat of Forrest's intelligence. Jack may have greater ambition, but Forrest understands the limits of family power.

"Tom's take on the character was quite audacious," says John Hillcoat, the film's director. "He saw Forrest as the matriarch and the patriarch of the family, in the wake of their parents' deaths. He wanted to explore Forrest's softer side and play him in a quiet, contained way."

Tom Hardy ‘Lawless’ Interview

Acclaimed director John Hillcoat (The Road, The Proposition) delivers a thrillingly vivid slice of American outlaw history in his epic gangster tale, ‘Lawless.’ ‘Lawless’ is the true story of the infamous Bondurant Brothers: three bootlegging siblings who made a run for the American Dream in Prohibition-era Virginia. Based on author Matt Bondurant’s fictionalized account of his family, “The Wettest County in the World,” the film gathers an ensemble of gifted, dynamic new-generation stars – Shia LaBeouf, Tom Hardy, Jessica Chastain, Jason Clarke, Mia Wasikowska, Dane DeHaan – alongside two of the finest actors of their generations, Guy Pearce and Gary Oldman. A riveting, intense story of crime and corruption, loyalty and love, brutality and tenderness, ‘Lawless’ is a rich addition to the American gangster canon. Look out for the film in cinemas August 29th in the US and September 7th in the UK.

What was it about this role that appealed to you? There’s some interesting dichotomies in him, he’s fearsome and fearless, but then at the same time there’s incredible vulnerability in him with Maggie?

Tom Hardy: Yeah. I take characters as they come, characters that interest me, that have scope. And also, a diversity of different ranges and colours and characteristics that are interesting in finding paradox’s and dichotomies of man. Like, “How can somebody be so violent, yet at the same time be such a little boy?” Someone intrinsically innocent and naive and have such a heart, but then he’d do something on the other side that was so incredibly, horrifically horrible. And yet where the fulcrum is in the middle, someone that by the end of the film I want the audience to have the ability to care about that person.

The ensemble cast for ‘Lawless’ is quite spectacular, how was the experience for you on the film?

Tom Hardy: Every single one of those people and those artists have incredible sensibility, ability, talent and discipline. Each person was obviously different, and the combination of that kind of ensemble was electric and exciting. It was without ego….I mean, not completely without ego, we’ve all got ego because you need it to carve your way through certain situations – it’s actually imperative that you have it. But everyone distinctively put their ego down and was like, “OK, how can we join forces to create something that is clearly fabulous?” (Laughs). You were surrounded by quality and humility, and that sounds really cliché, but genuinely it was a working set (laughs).

And with John Hillcoat at the helm, how did he help that creativity with his direction?

Tom Hardy: John Hillcoat, he really encourages the creativity and then at the same time he has a natural strategy to create a safe place, but also a disciplined four walls of containment, whereby we’re not just anarchic, you know? We’re not going off the rails – where nothing gets done, but we’re trying to swing for the fences with what we have. It was the bread and butter doing a film like this. It was a great time to train and workout at what we do, practise. The process of working on ‘Lawless’ was such a pleasure.

Working with Gary Oldman in ‘Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy,’ ‘The Dark Knight Rises‘ and with this, ‘Lawless.’ How has that experience been?

Tom Hardy: With ‘Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy,’ the first time I worked with Gary Oldman, I had to watch him because we had to re-shoot….because my beard fell off while I was talking (laughs). So we had to go back and re-shoot the entire scene that I had with him in that, in ‘Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.’ Which is good because I spent my entire experience with Gary staring at him, and not returning any lines, because I think he’s basically God, you know? The second time, on ‘The Dark Knight Rises‘ as Bane, I was kind of playing God, so I kind of ignored him, kicked him a bit, that kind of thing (laughs). But Gary Oldman is one of my heroes, completely. I did nothing but gleam from him.

What’s the process of getting the accent right for Forrest, what sort of work did you do for that? He has this distinctive, quiet growl in ‘Lawless’….

Tom Hardy: I’ve only ever done two American accents really, and a couple of not so good ones. So I’m still a bit nervous about the American accent. But this one is so specific, and such a strong colour that there’s a little bit more mask work to be done for me. So it’s a little bit easier to hide behind an accent like this. Which was not necessarily an accent but more of a personality and a character. So I didn’t feel like I was doing….it was funny, it felt like more of a voice that came from a centre than an accent. And it was the same with ‘Warrior,’ I had a very similar monocephalic, central character to come from. So I wasn’t so caught up with dialect – as soon as that happens I panic and….I’m not Australian in ‘Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy’ for a reason. It wasn’t a choice (laughs). That’s not true, I chose to be British (laughs). But my accent work isn’t always amazing.