Bellazon

Maja Latinovic
Thumbnail

Evelyn

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interview with Maja Latinovic (found it on WTF)

Exclusive: Maja Latinovic amid the stars

“At the beginning, Cavalli and I helped each other- and we owe each other our collaborative success. My first few days in New York, I used to have panic attacks because I didn’t know how to use the metro”

When, at the age of 16, she arrived in New York, she was totally lost. She ran from casting to casting, and dreamt of offers from famous designers. The chance arrived quicker than she hoped, because she captivated the biggest ranks of the fashion universe- the photographers. Overnight she became the mode of the famous Italian designers Roberto Cavalli, but her feet remained firmly on the ground.

Somewhere from Manhattan, where she now lives, she told me “tell everyone that I have stayed that old Maja- Maja Jugoslovenka”. People were slowly stopping in Times Square and were left shocked that the most beautiful woman they had ever seen is passing by them dressed only in underwear. Obviously, of excellent quality. Her brown hair was blowing because of the September New York wind, but she, even though only half dressed and exposed to hundreds of people watching her, bravely looked in frony of her. Those lucky enough to have spotted her knew that they were watching the opening of one of the world’s biggest fashion companies- wonderbra. Maja then took exactly 30 steps on times square.

“New York is the city that never sleeps. It lives full time- 24 hours a day” tells me Maja over the phone.

She just returned from Paris, and is unpacking in her New York apartment. She is sorting out her things, but without great need, as she tells me, as she will have to pack again within 2 days. But that is the price of fame and success of a top model. From the very start, she had to fight for her place in the fashion circus and she managed to get her place relatively quickly. Now, at the very top, she tries very hard to keep her common sense and moral from all the negative aspects of fame.

Even though she comes from poverty she always knew what she had to do to open the door of success. She used her photogenicness and today it is difficult for young models to compare themselves to her. The moment she shone before the camera of Mario Testino for the campaign of Miss Sixty, it was clear that we finally have a model with character and not another character-less beauty. Her Slavic features, and perhaps her sadness about the things that have happened to her family and friends back at home, have made it possible for us to say that there is something magical about her. There are any photographers that say that she is their favourite model, some of them are Jean-Baptiste Mondino, Inez Van Lamsweerde, Vinoodh Matadin, Patrick Demarchelier, Fabio Chizzola, Ruven Afanador, Donna Trope, Greg Kadel…think why this is so?

She listens with a smile. I get the impression that it is important to her to come across as a normal, wholesome girl who has managed to avoid the negative aspects of fame. One day she will come back to Belgrade or Kikinda and make up for the youth she missed because of her responsibilities all over the world. Today it is too early to be thinking about that even though she has achieved so much in her career.

For the beautiful brunette from the tower block, it was Roberto Cavalli that opened the door to success. It was a strange connection and what followed was their journey to the top of the fashion world.

“After that campaign, everybody in the fashion world found out about me. Especially because Cavalli’s popularity culminated after that collection. You would be right in saying that joining forces helped us both achieve great things. Without him, I would definitely not be what I am today. The campaign was shot by the best photographer of our generation, Mario Testino, who I have worked with several times. After that campaign came out, people started to ask “who is that new girl” so that is how he helped me. From the very start, we became close friends. After all, he’s Italian, so we have similar temperaments and understood each other well.”

“I have never thought about any jobs, for the past four years I’ve been so overbooked that I haven’t had time to think about more important things”

“Mario Testino is definitely something special. He is the best of the best. In his photographs, the model is always beautiful and sexy. Mario adds an extra dose of glamour, and when you work with him you feel you feel very unique. The man is a maestro and he will always do what it takes to make me look beautiful, he always manages to get the best out of me. And the same goes for other models. In this job, I think that the photographer is an extremely important factor. I think that a lot of models make the mistake of ignoring their energy, or just don’t know how to work with them. In these cases, the lack of communication between the photographer and model is obvious.”

“When I first arrived in New York, Natasha Vojnovic was already well known and very well paid. At the start, there were rumours that there were major fights between us, mainly because of her stubbornness, but that is not true at all. At the start we didn’t know each other. She was already working and had made a big name for herself and gained status in the fashion world, while I was a new face. Of course, in every business there is sometimes friction between individuals. However, all those stories about fights between me and Natasha were not true. Soon after my arrival we met and got to know each other and became good friends. When we work, we run together from city to city, from continent to continent. We even live in the same building, she is on the 37th floor and I’m on the 41st. We are each other’s greatest support and I don’t think that I could have made it without her help and experienced advice.”

“I try to do this with out young models, like Marija Vujovic and Ana Mihajlovic, today. They are really amazing especially because it is not easy to make it in this crazy world. Ana Mihajlovic has managed to make herself a very sought after model in a very short time. Marija has already created herself a name and success, crowned with the “Pirelli calender”. I try to help them out because I have more experience and I am aware that many things in the fashion business work without logic or simplicity. We often go out together and have a great time. We go to New York clubs and party until dawn. I’m glad to see that many Serbian models are gaining success in America. Our girls are definitely special, I can’t explain why but it’s that way, and I’m not the only one to notice.”

“Its natural for me to be proud of all that I’ve achieved, but its more important to me that I have remained a normal person. I truly believe that I am the same person that I was when I got to New York, and I’m sure that those who know me would agree. For that I can, above all, thank my parents. They instilled me with morals, that have allowed me to avoid falling into various temptations. The amount of trust they had in me is shown in the fact that they let me go out into the world at only 16. I’m glad that I’ve never betrayed their trust.”

“Success is constantly measured and money is very important, but fashion is just as much art as it is business. Friendships in this business are very superficial and there isn’t much intimacy. You can know somebody for many years and know absolutely nothing about them, nor do they want to know anything about you. Everybody only looks out for their own interests. That is why it is very important for me to keep my family and my true friends around me”

“I’m only 24 and I have a lot ahead of me in my career. About other things I could pursue, I will think about later. I can’t say that I’m tired, but I’m not as energetic as I used to be, I need a break sometimes. Probably, towards the end of my career, I’ll take time out to relax and think about the future. But for now, I’m happy living with the temp that life has set me”

“Looks are important in this business, but it is also vital that you are in the right place at the right time and that you get help from important people. In my case, that was Dejan Markovic, the owner of “Names” model agency in Milan. Likewise, it is important to have a good agency behind you, that is going to support you and push you in the right direction. Competition is enormous and I had to be extremely strong willed.”

“I don’t have time for distasteful offers. It happens, but to those who ask for it. I always have a million reasons why I would never go for something like that. No, not even a million dollars. After all, I am a kid from Kikinda, brought up with a strict moral code, and that is clear from how I carry myself, which is why people do not approach me with such offers.”