Bellazon

Camila Alves
Thumbnail

ICON MAGAZINE

spring issue

Brazilian mom opens up to ICON about her loves inspirations and what keeps her going.

Brazilian supermodel Camila Alves hit the worldwide scene early this millennium with a climb that a decade later shows no signs of slowing. Along with recently appearing as a host and judge on Bravo's "Shear Genius", she designs a high-profile handbag line and faithfully pursues charitable endeavors involving her communitys youth. On top of it all she is mother to son Levi and daughter Vida whom she shares with her partner, Hollywood beefcake and proud father Matthew McConaughey. ICON's cover model discusses travel, inspiration and what keeps her going.

How did you make the leap into the fashion industry from modeling?

When I was traveling around the world, I wanted a comfortable bag with a new and different look. My mother has three degrees in fashion, so together we created my travel-inspired handbag line. I didn't love with the first one we created, but from that, we perfected them to what we have today.

What was the inspiration for the look of your handbag line, Muxo?

Nature was my inspiration. Traveling to the Grand Canyon inspired the color palette for my collection, which includes earth tones with pops of color.

Were your parents supportive of your career choice?

My father was concerned with my career choice because I came to the US when I was only 15, but after he saw the wonderful experiences I was having with my modeling career and how happy I was, he became supportive. My mother was always supportive.

Out of all the places you've traveled, what was your favorite destination and why?

I am so fortunate that I was able to travel during my modeling career. The experiences I have encountered can never be taken away from me. If I had to pick one favorite place in the world I would have to say Brazil. It's home, but also it's just such an amazing country from the wonderful people to the music. It is such a large country that there is so much to see and do. You can go to the rain forest or be in the snow. It is very inspirational.

How do you balance work and family?

Well, it is very tricky. Organization is a must. It is challenging. You can't just pick up and go when you have children; everything must be planned out. Being a working mom, I can be in the middle of working and then have to stop what I'm doing to make lunch for the kids.

What do you do in your spare time as a family?

I just really enjoy staying home and hanging around the house with my children.

How has having children changed your life?

Having children changes your life dramatically. The biggest change I have seen is I can't just pick up and go somewhere without planning for it. It takes me about an extra 45 minutes than it did before I had kids. I have to pack the children up, make sure they are dressed and ready to go as well as getting them buckled into the car.

You and Matthew started the j.k.livin Foundation, which "is dedicated to helping teenage kids lead active lives and make healthy choices to become great men and women". Will you tell me a little more about your organization?

Matthew and I started this after our son Levi was born. Having children of our own made us more aware of raising good teenagers. The j.k.livin Foundation is an after school program which brings awareness to teens through nutrition, exercise and positive self-awareness.

Our organization helps young learners with their self-esteem and self-concept. We start each day in a "grateful circle" where each student has to say something that they are grateful for. This helps them put life issues in perspective and prioritize the positive influences in their lives. We also have the youth keep journals so they can express themselves without judgment. They may choose to share their journal entries or keep them private. We provide the learners with an inspirational quote and have them write about it. It is very important to give our youth inspiration and hope.

On the weekends we take the youth on field trips. Some of the field trips are just for fun such as going to a basketball game but others are for charity. We want to teach the youth in our organization that it is very important to give back, even at their young ages. I used to read to the elderly when I was young but when I moved to the US I lost touch with it all. It feels good to be giving back to the community again.

Our program is currently in three LA, California schools as well as one school in Austin, Texas. I love that we can make a difference in our youth's lives.

Fun Questions:

What do you carry in your makeup bag?

Bronzer, black eye pencil, lip balm and lip gloss.

What do you never leave home without?

Cell phone.

Favorite Perfume?

Flowerbomb by Viktor & Rolf.

Favorite Food?

Sushi

Perfect Evening?

Family night. I just enjoy being home with my family, playing with my kids.

BB5CRZ5G6E_0.jpg UI268C25D8_1.jpg F9VL496IPV_2.jpg X88F0OUY6X_3.jpg MEZSIFY0LU_4.jpg 2SQYZTUV71_5.jpg T9XZSAYBEI_6.jpg 6VS62TK86E_7.jpg IE4UCLQ2XT_8.jpg NJ00FP2T73_9.jpg