Bellazon

Jared Leto
Thumbnail

*GiPsY_grl*

December Issue of Glamour Magazine (Germany)

normal0001n.th.jpg

Jared Leto gives out manly things with heart and wood.

The Hollywood-Star, 39, is known from movies such as “Alexander” (2004), as the testimonial of “Hugo Just Different” and as the lead singer of the band 30 Seconds to Mars.

Does a Rockstar celebrate Christmas?

Actually it’s a huge celebration at our place! My birthday is on 26th December, my mother’s birthday is a few days earlier, so in L.A. we practically celebrate a whole week. We invite friends who don’t have their own families and eat together.

So it smells like traditional Christmas roast?

More like burning logs. In warm California there aren’t a lot of possibilities to sit in front of the fireplace together. But Christmas is definitely one of them!
What are you giving out for Christmas?

Simple presents are the best. Since we were pretty poor when I was a kid, I always encouraged my mother to tinker gifts on her own. Still I’m not a materialistic person and I’m not really interested in things like toys or cars. But I’m an attentive giver – More won’t be revealed.

Oh come on, just a few little hints?

Alright, I always find books very inspiring. For example, the adventure-novel “Finn” by John Clinch. And my “Photobook” about Haiti – I took pictures there after the earthquake, to collect donations with it.

Dec Issues of GQ Magazine

normal0001n.th.jpg normal0002c.th.jpg normal0003.th.jpg normal0004j.th.jpg

JARED JOSEPH LETO is no simple kind of guy. At least not in the eyes of other men. The problem with him is: He doesn’t belong to the categories Pitt, Depp or Clooney. He’s not a guy, who instantly makes you think: What an awesome man! Incredibly casual, self-confident, cool, confidently dressed. No, Jared Leto is everything else than an imprinting role model for men. He embodies more of the – I look good, I kinda know that, so I wear whatever I want. Even eyeliner or leggings. Or both of them together – type. At the question, what style means to him, Leto says exactly those things, which no one else would mention: Colorful hippie-shirts, bavarian bread and a lot of literature. The handyman has an eye for the big picture, and less for that one certain brand of pants, when it comes to questions about style. But in the end it’s exactly that, which defines good taste – and Jared Leto. And there’s another thing we know: The 39-year-old actor always has the knack for the right movies; He has played in several movies, including “The Thin Red Line”, “Fight Club”, “Requiem for a Dream”. Any more questions? He’s the star of the teenie-emo-rockband (ß- My comment to that: WTF??-.-) 30 seconds to mars and model for the new Hugo-Fragrance by the way. Why he wanted to do something other than acting – We asked him, when we met him in Paris for the interview. “Because when making movies, you don’t get a immediate reaction”, he explains. “Acting is like writing a letter and sending it with a carrier pigeon. You can make an effort, but in the end you don’t know if the letter even arrived.” Okay. So he’s smart, too. Our man of the year reveals, why good taste only partly has something to do with good fashion in our category style, why Christopher Walken is a true style-god and he never again uncompromisingly would change for a screen role.

I love Germany – do you know why? Because of the german bread (Picture 1). It’s better than the French bread. And I think Bavaria is really beautiful. Very stylish in it’s own way. Just recently I took a fan on stage and asked him where he’s from. He said he’s from Bavaria. The crowd booed. I didn’t understand that. When it comes to style, it’s not just the fashion that counts. Men who look like they are obsessed with a thing or a role, have real style to me. Like Christopher Walken (Picture 2) in “The Deer Hunter”.

Another actor who has inspired me since my childhood: Daniel Day Lewis.

For the movie “Chapter 27” I gained 50 pounds, to play the murderer of John Lennon. That was a horrible experience. My whole personality, the way I thought about things changed. Not only the look. It’s incredibly stupid to do something like that for a screen role. I wouldn’t do it anymore. A mistake of my youth.

My role models in style might sound odd: I orientate myself by a mixture of a mortician and Jack Tripper, a character from the series “Three’s company” (Picture 3) from the late 70ies. I was obsessed with that guy and the series. The protagonists were all insane and sex-obsessed. There’s Jack’s neighbor Larry, who just loves all women. And Mr. Roper, who is always fleeing from his wife, who wants to sleep with him. The series was all about sex, all the time. That was really funny – and the actors looked really good at what they did. I can only recommend it.

Anyhow, I love the weird look of the 70ies, with wide collars and huge patterns on shirts. No man could walk around like that nowadays anymore. I think it looked really cool. A little bit like Al Pacino as Tony Montana in “Scarface” – also a really great movie, when it comes to style and looks.

At 30 Seconds to Mars (Picture 3) we barely use stylists for our photoshoots. But it’s really fun when somebody, who’s really talented, robes us. They also inspire me for own looks.

Very important element when it comes to style: Reading. It belongs to every man of the world.

The books that are lying on my night table at the moment are: “Finn” by John Clinch (Picture 6). It’s about the father of Huckleberry Finn. A murderer, alcoholic, racist and head of a disturbed family. I love that book. And then some other things by Norman Mailer and my own book with blackberry-photos from along the way.

No, I don’t see myself as a role model in style. I’m not even a man with a certain style.

However I am a huge fan of very tight Man-Leggings