Bellazon

Zinedine Zidane
Thumbnail

JS[SHRIMP]

Zidane to work closely with Mourinho

Zinedine Zidane is set to take up a role proposed by Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho.

The legendary Frenchman has a current role that sees him act as an ambassador of the club cum an advisor to president Florentino Perez.

But Mourinho has earlier requested to have 'Zizou' close to his side to act as a link between him and the president and also to have him more involved on the ground.

The Special One was quoted as saying in the Daily Mail: "I would like to have him more with me and less with the president. I don't think he wants to become a coach but I would still like to have him with me."

And the latest comments by Zidane would be music to the ears of Mourinho.

The 38-year-old told French radio station Europe 1: "I will work more with him [Mourinho]. I'll be the link between the first team and the president.

"It suits me because I wanted to go a little deeper into the structure of the club."

An official announcement has yet to be made by the club but Zidane is not expected to take up a coaching role.

post-34297-0-1446016422-65895_thumb.jpg

According to reports from Spanish newspapers, Enzo Zidane, the oldest of Zizou’s four footballing sons, will be called up for Spanish national youth team duties in the next weeks. Ginés Meléndez, the coach of the U-17 team, told French TV show Téléfoot that “our intention is to call him up in October. We want to speak with his father so that we will be able to count on him next month.” This decision is sure not to sit well with France’s footballing authorities, who have so far believed it was too early to call Enzo up, and had said previously that they would leave it up to him to decide which country he wanted to play for.

Enzo is 15, plays in the cantera of Madrid and has both Spanish and French nationalities. Téléfoot also aired a program about Enzo, in which one of his Madrid teammates, Yoan Mendez, said of him, “Enzo is very nice and very humble. I was afraid to speak to him the first time I saw him. I didn’t know what to do, but he’s a very good person. Sometimes we see his father when he comes to pick him up after training. I got a photo with him.”

Meanwhile, Enzo’s coach José Fernández said, “in football terms, it’s clear that he inherited some things from his father. But it’s still too early to tell whether Enzo can become a professional player or not.”

Update: Papa Zidane said on TV5 Monde that he doesn’t have a preference between France and Spain, and that Enzo reminds him of himself in some of the things he does. Cute!

post-34297-0-1446016422-84728_thumb.jpg

AS’s cover story today is how the successor of Zinedine Zidane is none other than his eldest son Enzo (15 years old), who at present has just been promoted to Real Madrid’s Cadete A team. And of course, he’s not the only member of the Zidane family playing for Real Madrid. Younger brother Luca (12 years old) is a member of the Infantil B team, where he plays as a goalkeeper. And third son Theo (8 years old) started playing at the age of five with Hortaleza club Canillas, known for its “baby football,” and which has a collaboration agreement with Madrid. He could move to Madrid’s Benjamín team soon. As for fourth son Elyaz, he’s still a bit too young, as he’s only four years old.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Zidane relishing Real return

Real Madrid's newly appointed presidential advisor to the first team Zinedine Zidane is excited about his new position with the club.

Speaking to the club's official website, the former FIFA World Player of the Year admitted that he is looking forward to working with the current crop of players under the Jose Mourinho regime.

"I will have a close relationship with the squad," explained Zidane. "I will travel to Champions League matches with the team. That is where we will start. We are taking one step at a time. I will be with the team at Valdebebas on a daily basis.

"We will slowly define my duties, but what is important is that I will have a close relationship with the team. It will serve me well because the perspective I have of watching training sessions as an outsider is different to that I had as a player.

"He (Mourinho) wanted me to have this job. And today is the day. We will later speak about what I can contribute. We discussed what Real Madrid is all about and what this club means.

"He has done a good job since taking over as head coach and he doesn't need much help."

The Frenchman, whose stunning overhead kick in the 2002 Champions League final against Bayer Leverkusen won Real the 2002 European crown, stressed that the nine-time European champions need to reclaim their status as the continent's top dog.

He elaborated: "Correct. We have already clinched a berth in the next round, but Real Madrid always plays to win.

"It is this team's major attribute and it has proven just that so far in league play. There are no friendlies or insignificant matches. When this team takes the pitch, it does so to score from the opening minute."

Real have not reached the final of the Champions League since that glorious night in Hampden Park when they carved out a hard fought 2-1 win against German outfit Leverkusen.

Loading comments...

Problems loading Disqus?

• 2 weeks later...

Zidane: "I want us to win titles in 2011"

Butragueño: "I want all of us to feel proud of our team next year"

Realmadrid.com / Translation by Michael J. O'Donnell

Zinedine Zidane, Emilio Butragueño and Esteban Granero played in the charitable match organised by Casillas and Figo.

Presidential Advisor Zinedine Zidane

"I want us to win titles in 2011. I also want health and happiness in the New Year."

"Madrid is a special city to me. I also often remember the fans affectionately."

Director of Institutional Relations Emilio Butragueño

"I wish we all feel proud of our team in the New Year. This year I'm most proud of the fact we came up with a better squad than last season's and that we have a magnificent coach."

Esteban Granero

"I hope 2011 begins the way 2010's ended. Titles speak for Mourinho."

Luca Zidane was the big star in the quarterfinals of the XV Torneo Internacional Blue BBVA Alevín de Arona Fútbol 7 [such a grand name for a tournament for children, no?] as Real Madrid beat Borussia Dortmund to advance to the semifinals. The game ended at 1-1, so it went into penalties, and Luca stopped Borussia’s last attempt to win the game 1-1 (3-2) for Madrid. Our little ones will take on Sevilla today in the semifinal, with Villarreal and Barcelona disputing the other game

© unamadridista

• 3 weeks later...