Bellazon

Models from the Eighties

nanook351

A model of the early 80's: Robin Osler. She starred the Gianni Versace campaign FW 1979/80, photographed by H. Newton.

Is that a Versace coat she's wearing?? It looks more like a Montana or Mugler design.

It seems that there was a wave of Futurism in the popular culture of the late 1970s.

In fashion, there was the ascent of futuristic designers such as Montana and Mugler.

In music, there was "space disco" (and the subsequent arrival of Synthpop music in the early 80s). The soundtracks of movies and tv shows featured synthesizer music songs.

In movies, there was Star Wars and other sci-fi films of the period.

The following cover reflects that whole feeling of "looking ahead towards the future"

I agree.In fashion... there was also the influence of designers future-oriented such as Paco Rabanne,André Courrèges. Laura Biagiotti had a fantastic collection of Futurist paintings.Many painters from this artistic movement were concerned with fashion,advertising and movies.In music, musicians Futurists like Luigi Russolo had used synthesizers and samplers since the twenties.All this has been a very fertile field for creativity.

The pic of Robin belongs to a fashion editorial published in Stern magazine (I got it from the book Helmut Newton: The Stern Years 1973-2000), but, as with the material of Newton, was proven very wrong. But, indeed, spiral, the coat is of Claude Montana, 1979: a touch martial and New Romantic, aggressive, and pre-fall of the Berlin Wall.

The speculation about the future has always been a constant, a leitmotif in the different ages of fashion, but it´s true that in the eighties had a conception of the future more optimistic and hopeful, when actually, IMHO, is more pessimistic, has assumed the omnipresence of Big Brother (G. Orwell, 1984), the advent of cyborgs, etc. A conception, in short, a dystopian future, less radiant presenting the eighties.

I don´t know if the pic attached below (a polaroid of Helmut Newton, dated in 1978) belong to the Versace campaign, although the scenario seems identical.

That said, to the record, I subscribe all you have said, spiral & fender. Thanks, guys, for your extensive background in fashion!! :wave:

post-57741-1334610808_thumb.jpg

post-57741-1334610906_thumb.jpg

post-57741-1334611859_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the pics, Prejean. Robin's Versace campaign is gorgeous. :heart: I love the setting, with the urban decay in the background.

And wow, I'd never seen Josie's CdG campaign before.

Also, I agree completely with this statement:

The speculation about the future has always been a constant, a leitmotif in the different ages of fashion, but it´s true that in the eighties had a conception of the future more optimistic and hopeful, when actually, IMHO, is more pessimistic, has assumed the omnipresence of Big Brother (G. Orwell, 1984), the advent of cyborgs, etc. A conception, in short, a dystopian future, less radiant presenting the eighties.

I like these sentences about the future:

"(...) Whatever we do is the past and a small dream of what might be coming" (Jean-Paul Gaultier)

"(...) It´s time for everything to be pared down and cleaned up" (Georgina Godley)

"(...) Clothes will have to work for life" (Geoffrey Beene)

Thanks for the scans!

They look very similar, although, obviously, aren´t the same person:

post-57741-1334751414_thumb.jpg

:wacko: :morning: :idk: ID investigation in progress

...for some reason i also like your new avatar,PJ :hehe:

The photo belongs to an editorial ("Nadja Auermann als junger Siegfried">"Nadja Auermann as a young Siegfried") published in the magazines "Bunte" (Germany), "L'Expresso" (Italy) and "Max" (France) in 1994. In it, Newton was also intended to pay tribute to the statue of the warrior Guidarello Guidarelli in Ravenna (Academy of Fine Arts).

I've uploaded in the thread of Nadja.

:wave:

There's something about Robin's Versace ads that I just love. :heart: They're simple-looking, but very eye-catching at the same time. I actually prefer them to some of the later Versace ads that were shot in studios (by Avedon and others).

Anyway, here are some pictures from New York Magazine in 1989

model: Marielle Macville

This woman's image was everywhere in the late 80s/early 90s.

post-36986-1335117727_thumb.jpgpost-36986-1335117754_thumb.jpg

There's something about Robin's Versace ads that I just love. :heart: They're simple-looking, but very eye-catching at the same time. I actually prefer them to some of the later Versace ads that were shot in studios (by Avedon and others).

Anyway, here are some pictures from New York Magazine in 1989

model: Marielle Macville

This woman's image was everywhere in the late 80s/early 90s.

post-36986-1335117727_thumb.jpgpost-36986-1335117754_thumb.jpg

I also prefer the outdoor locations, spiral, more than that overdone look, as harem & (modern) odalisques, in the subsequent campaigns of Avedon for Versace (Fall 1982, particularly) -and, IMO, owe much to the concept image created by Newton to Opium perfume-.

Marielle's face looked familiar, but didn´t know her name. Thanks for the info! Her gaze´s awesome.

The Basque model Olatz López Garmendia: she worked for and with Louis Féraud, Gianfranco Ferré, Lancetti; Vogue Italia, L´Officiel, Elle Italia; José Manuel Ferrater, Javier Vallhonrat, Hiro, Michel Comte, Neil Kirk, Ferdinando Scianna... She was married to Julian Schnabel (they ended in 2007 & have two children together). She appears in the movies Basquiat (1996), Before night falls (2000) & Le scaphandre et le papillon (2007).

Kisses :wave:

post-57741-1335188573_thumb.jpg

post-57741-1335188612_thumb.jpg

post-57741-1335188680_thumb.jpg

post-57741-1335188691_thumb.jpg