Bellazon

Ashley Graham
Thumbnail

tinkerbelle

coveteur.com

By: Noah Lehava
Styling: Stephanie Mark
Photography: Renée Rodenkirchen
In life, one can only dream of having a single momentous, groundbreaking, career-changing trajectory moment like that of model Ashley Graham. We’re talking about the moment every single effing outlet went absolutely haywire (in the best way possible) when her Swimsuits For All advertisement rooted itself in the pages of Sports Illustrated—a glossy that was, until Graham, seemingly exclusive to the sample-sized.

The truth is, Graham is insanely relatable on so many levels. We mean, so much so that we pretty much established friends-for-life status the moment we stepped into her Brooklyn home. Let’s just say that before we could even put down our bags, she’d slipped into her new lacy Addition Elle lingerie from her soon-to-be released fall collection (sneak peek, ya’ll), shimmied through the window and climbed up the terrifying fire escape (okay, more like we were terrified. Girl ran up that so fast, we could hardly keep up) for our magic hour rooftop photo shoot—yeah, we got real close, real fast. And things only continued from there—as in, there may have been twerking while Snapchatting going on, and yes, there was a whole lot of Mary Katrantzou, Alexander McQueen and a serious collection of Nike Frees, you know, to satiate our sartorial cravings (because, duh).
Just as we were finishing up rummaging through her closet (you know, post-rooftop romp), Graham had us follow her as she snuck onto the neighbor’s stoop and hopped on a bike to wheel around the block for one last photo opp. And all this before we got to talking about designing lingerie for curvy women of all sizes, the moment she changed one person’s life, and looking up to models like Kathy Ireland and Heidi Klum. “Those girls, I mean I’ve watched their careers and they have just blossomed into extraordinary and amazing things. I can’t wait to be the curvier version of all of them.” Ashley, we'll totally put our money on it.

“I’ve faced criticism my whole career. It’s come from fans, it’s come from agents, and it’s come from other models. But I think that it’s all a matter of how you handle it and I turned it all into a positive thing. Now the industry has totally changed and it’s not as much about size anymore—everyone’s really jumped on the bandwagon of not letting size be the defining factor of determining what beauty truly is.”

“From day one, I’ve been involved very thoroughly [with Addition Elle]. I fly to Canada every time a new collection is being made to talk about design, the process, what fabrics were being used, what laces we’re using, where the laces are coming from, inspiration, and the whole back story of each collection."

"The only thing that I actually haven’t done yet is, I’m pushing to go to Paris Fashion Week for one of the lingerie shows. The designers at Addition Elle are absolutely amazing. I mean, the whole team is really forward-thinking in the whole fashion process and they’re not thinking about dressing plus-size women, they’re thinking ‘okay we might have a larger breast in front of us, but what does she actually want to wear?’ So to be involved with them has been an incredible process from the beginning.”

“My favorite movie of all time is Princess Bride—such a good one. And you know what’s funny about all of these movies? My husband is a cinematographer, you should see the box that’s under our bed with DVDs in it. It’s kind of insane.”

"I think something that kind of put me on the map was the Lane Bryant commercial that got banned from TV. I was in my lingerie and I think people saw that; they saw a bigger girl on TV and they were like ‘well, what’s the big deal if she’s in her lingerie, she looks like me’ and that’s exactly what people want to see, yet again, it’s the same thing as the Swimsuits for All in the magazine. People are craving to see a curvier body, different shapes of bodies, to bring that diversity into mainstream media.”

“When I was 12 years old at a mall, somebody was like ‘Hey, do you want to be a model?’ They didn’t tell me I was a plus-sized model right away, they let a bigger agency size me; they were more of a mother agent at the time. I never really looked at it as a negative thing because I’ve always been the bigger girl and have had to deal with those situations in school, so I just kind of dealt with it. But then when you meet other women who look like you, who are as tall as you, who are as big as you and they’re like ‘I’m gorgeous and I’m amazing.’ So it turned into a very positive thing for me.”

“Something that has gotten me where I am is my good old mom. She really is so insightful—she said kindness will get you further than anything in life and it’s been true. I’ve been very kind to people, I’ve been a boss in situations that I’ve needed to be, but I’ve done it all with kindness and I think that is a huge need in the industry.”

"My weight hasn’t gone up or down, I’ve regulated it now for about 7 years and it’s due to the fact that I’m happy and confident in who I am and I’m not letting other people dictate where my career is going based on the size of my hips.”

“[My workout videos are] one of those things that just fell into my lap. I’m a true believer that if something falls into your lap, then that is the direction you’re supposed to be going in, and that’s exactly what happened."

"I am basically like a pharmacy of amazingness. I feel like I need to be prepared for any situation, so [in my bag] I’ve got band aids, contacts, Kleenex, superglue, safety pins, bobby pins, pen, paper, hair ties, and I definitely always have bras and extensions with me everywhere I go because a girl can’t be left without having my girls looking high and I love extensions—it’s such a part of my life. Definitely headphones because when I’m on the train I can’t live without them. And a great pair of sunnies.”

“I do say, if you’re looking to be a model you have to really ask yourself why do you want to be a model? A lot of women tell me that they want to be a model because it’s going to make you feel beautiful, going to make you famous, and that you’re going to make all of this money, and none of those things will happen. Those things will happen by sheer luck. So you have to ask yourself how much patience you have. I think it’s an amazing industry, but you need a lot of patience. It’s an industry where, if you work hard and you have a vision of where you want to be, you can make a difference and be heard. It’s an industry that’s very open to a lot of types of people and open to seeing new visions and new voices.”

"When they told me [the Swimsuits for All campaign] was going to be in Sports Illustrated, I said ‘oh cool, that’s great’, not really thinking of what the impact was going to be. When the press had come out saying ‘the first plus-size model to ever be in Sports Illustrated’ I was like ‘oh, well, I heard about another model who had actually shot at Sports Illustrated, that’s amazing’ and then I looked at the photo and was like ‘what! It’s me!’ but I’m not in Sports Illustrated, it’s an ad y’all!"

“I just did a TED Talk in Valencia, Spain that I will never forget and hope that I am able to give more. Speaking engagements are turning into something that are going to be the next steppingstone in my career; motivational speaking. That was incredible."

“Swimsuits for All asked me to do the campaign and it was kind of a no-brainer. They’re such an amazing swimwear company, who isn’t just focused on the traditional plus size. They go quite low in their sizes and go up to a 24, maybe even 26, and to be a part of a brand that does that is quite outstanding."

“I wash my face every night with a cleanser and exfoliant combination from Murad and I use this serum iS Clinical every night and in the morning—I don’t wash my face [in the morning], I just rinse it. I have been changing my moisturizer every 4-5 months. Right now I’m really obsessed with Charlotte Tilbury because she has SPF in it and I’m outside so much because it’s summertime. But I also love the Rodin face oil as well.”

“I spray rose water on my face morning noon and night. I spray it before I moisturize and after I moisturize. I spray it while I’m on the airplane, I spray it on in between outfits on set because it actually sets your makeup and helps it to have a more natural dewy look.”

"I had an agent wave money in my face and say ‘if you go from a size 18 to a 14, you will make all of this money and more’ and I still didn’t even have the gumption to lose the weight, it was really when I said ‘I don’t care what people think about me, I’m not going to change the way I look for clients, I just want to do what makes me happy and be happy doing it’. That’s when I got really healthy and I went down to a 14/16."

“[My first every designer splurge was] a Betsy Johnson dress right when I first moved to New York at 17.”

YWS51UIX.jpg AtLCue6l.jpg Yp2Q6HvR.jpg LBCTxNAw.jpg JZz5vGtr.jpg TXhd9y7w.jpg OXXo1kK8.jpg YIMAtuBo.jpg LSbPPWTV.jpg exR15HF9.jpg 9acWnp2c.jpg L9w2ZZwC.jpg ihwUoELq.jpg yU0MUyKd.jpg q0auu1od.jpg 3XbbgawJ.jpg IDbG8dUF.jpg OiBiY7rd.jpg Eiey3rks.jpg kMB8Co91.jpg izLKpcjt.jpg 0mqe6TCj.jpg