Bellazon

Filippo Inzaghi
Thumbnail

sandy

• 2 months later...

SHAKHTAR-MILAN

GOALKEEPERS: Dida, Kalac, Fiori;

DEFENDERS: Bonera, Cafu, Favalli, Kaladze, Maldini, Nesta, Oddo, Serginho, Simic;

MIDFIELDERS: Ambrosini, Brocchi, Gattuso, Gourcuff, Pirlo, Seedorf;

ATTACKERS:Gilardino, Inzaghi, Ronaldo, Kakà.

Shakhtar Donetsk 0:3 AC Milan

Shakhtar Donetsk: Pyatov; Srna, Chygrynskiy, Yezerskiy, Rat (William 73); Ilsinho, Hubschman, Fernandinho; Jadson; Lucarelli (Castillo 77), Brandao (Gladkiy 84)

Milan: Dida; Bonera, Nesta, Kaladze, Serginho (Brocchi 84); Gattuso, Pirlo, Ambrosini; Seedorf (Maldini 79), Kaka; Gilardino (Inzaghi 63)

Goals:

0-1, Inzaghi, 66'

0-2, Kaka, 72'

0-3, Inzaghi, 93'

Ref: Vink (Ned)

Shakhtar Donetsk 0:3 AC Milan - match report

Super Pippo Inzaghi came off the bench to change the game by scoring two and setting up another for Kaka as Milan won 2-0 at Shakhtar Donetsk.

The Rossoneri had demolished Donetsk 4-1 at San Siro on October 24, but came into this tie off the back of a dismal Serie A run of results. It was a head-to-head battle for leadership of Group D and Ronaldo made his first Champions League appearance for the club, albeit on the bench. Serginho made a rare start at left-back, as Marek Jankulovski was injured. Shakhtar left out Olexander Kucher, whose poor marking of Alberto Gilardino gave away two goals in their last meeting.

There was a minute's silence before kick-off and both teams wore black armbands to mark the passing of Milan's Swedish legend Nils Liedholm.

Andriy Pyatov smothered an early Serginho effort and Brandao just failed to get on the end of a dangerous cross from six yards, while Razvan Rat's free kick skimmed the upright. Mircea Lucescu had warned he would field a far more prudent squad and that was certainly the case, as the tempo slowed to a crawl.

Milan had a fine chance on 12 minutes when Alberto Gilardino chested down Andrea Pirlo's pass, but was closed down by a defender as he pulled the trigger.

There was almost a disastrous double howler, as Serginho's wayward clearance on a Rat cross went straight up into the air and Nelson Dida fumbled the ball, but captured it back before Brandao could tap into an empty net.

Gilardino's glancing header from Serginho's cross at the end of a long team move was off target, while Jadson's free kick was nodded straight into Dida's grateful arms by Dmytro Chygrynskiy. Kaka went into the book for a late tackle on Ilsinho and Gennaro Gattuso was carded for dissent.

There was real danger on 33 minutes, as Alessandro Nesta flung himself at Cristiano Lucarelli's feet to charge down his shot and Dida got a fingertip to Darijo Srna's follow-up that flashed across the face of goal.

Pirlo got his body in front of a Jadson strike from the edge of the area, as Shakhtar finally came out of their shell. Gilardino got a knock to the back and was limping for the final stages of the first half.

Straight after the restart Kakha Kaladze's poor clearance found Fernandinho for a daisy-cutter that shaved a coat of paint off the base of the upright with Dida beaten.

Milan were incredibly unlucky on 56 minutes, as Massimo Ambrosini's long looping header from Pirlo's free kick thumped the far post with the goalkeeper stranded and Gilardino could not turn in the rebound.

Gilardino was still not entirely recovered from that knock to the back and made way for Pippo Inzaghi. Pyatov plucked a Kaka header out of the air from a Pirlo corner kick, but Carlo Ancelotti's substitution proved to be inspired.

Within a couple of minutes of stepping on to the field after a long injury lay-off, Inzaghi ran on to Pirlo's through ball in the centre to thump a powerful quickly taken right-foot strike past Pyatov from 10 yards.

Dida grabbed Brandao's free header from close-range, as the Shakhtar striker hit it straight at the goalkeeper. Ambrosini was booked and will be suspended for the trip to Benfica.

Inzaghi changed the game completely, as he also set up Kaka for Milan's second. He held up the ball and drew three defenders to him before sliding it across for Kaka to curl in off the inside of the far post with the inside of his right foot.

Shakhtar were hit hard, but tried to aim from distance with Dida smothering a Jadson attempt. There was bad news for the Ukrainians, as Lucarelli limped off with a muscular problem. Paolo Maldini replaced Clarence Seedorf, moving the squad to a 4-4-2 with Serginho on the left of midfield.

The Rossoneri were fortunate not to concede moments later, as Pirlo was caught in possession and Fernandinho rushed into the area for a shot that was deflected just past the far post by Kaladze. Milan wasted a golden opportunity on the counter, as Kaka tried to pass to Inzaghi rather than shoot inside the box.

Dida got down to pin another Jadson strike, but Ronaldo was not to make his comeback here, as the final substitution saw Cristian Brocchi step on for the not 100 per cent fit Serginho.

It still wasn't over, as Inzaghi completed his brace in stoppages when Kaka returned the favour with an altruistic assist. The Brazilian was clear on the counter-attack, but rolled across to the unmarked Inzaghi, who was behind the line of the ball and therefore not offside, to fire home.

Ancelotti so proud of Pippo

Carlo Ancelotti has hailed Pippo Inzaghi for his splendid performance after weeks on the sidelines. “He’s a consummate professional.”

The striker had been left out in recent matches in favour of Alberto Gilardino, but Super Pippo came on as a substitute to score two and set up a third for Kaka in tonight’s 3-0 victory away to Shakhtar Donetsk.

“Inzaghi worked hard in this period despite the fact I didn’t give him the chance to play,” commented the Coach.

“I could see him champing at the bit, but also acting like a real professional even though he was suffering. He was brilliant both on the night and in preparing for it, as he was always ready.”

“I think the game was dominated in the first half by Shakhtar’s very negative approach. They were trying to play the counter-attack despite being the home side, so it was a static and balanced game,” continued Ancelotti.

“Inzaghi’s goal broke the deadlock and forced them to come out of their shell, so the spaces opened up and we did very well on the counter.”

Massimo Ambrosini was booked and will be suspended for the trip to Benfica. Ronaldo might make his Champions League debut with a Milan jersey in that game, as he was on the bench this evening but did not feature.

“Considering the way the game was going, I decided to be prudent, as it wasn’t wise to introduce Ronaldo in this cold when he had not played in three months. He will have time to give his contribution.”

The Rossoneri continue their Jekyll & Hyde act, as they are yet to win a Serie A game at home this season, yet have impressed on their travels in Italy and Europe.

“It has become difficult for me too to understand the difference. It is starting to become a positive period for the team, as we are more solid at the back and have kept three consecutive clean sheets.

“Unlike the home games, we had fewer scoring opportunities tonight and did not want to run too many risks of going a goal down.

“I think it is not easy to deal with a large squad, but the side is finding consistency. We were organised at the back and did not let ourselves get pinned back, so that is a sign of renewed confidence.”

Inzagol matches Muller record

Pippo Inzaghi matched Gerd Muller’s record of 62 European goals and admits he was feeling frustrated on the Milan bench.

“As far as I am concerned, the records that really matter are the two Champions League trophies I won with Milan. Aside from that, the records are fun to throw at people who say our strikers are too old,” smiled the veteran.

Inzaghi has netted 62 goals in UEFA competitions in just 97 games and is also just one shy of Andriy Shevchenko’s total of 34 continental goals for Milan.

“It would be nice to beat Sheva’s tally, as he was a great teammate of mine and friend, so I would be pleased to do that.”

Super Pippo came off the bench when it was still 0-0 away to Shakhtar Donetsk, but scored two and set up another for Kaka.

“I play in a team that has allowed me to score many goals. Altruism isn’t one of my top characteristics, but it was right and Kaka did very well,” laughed the former Juventus star.

“He even gave me back a perfect assist later on. Without this squad I never would have achieved these records in Europe.

“Andrea Pirlo also did brilliantly, as he knows me so well. The moment I stepped on to the field he told me to go deep, as their defence would struggle with that.”

It was Inzaghi’s first goal since September 18, but he has barely played recently, left on the bench in favour of an inconsistent Alberto Gilardino.

“I have been in good shape for two weeks and was just waiting for my moment. I was suffering, as we lost against Roma and I hoped my time would come soon.

“I believe that hard work pays off and when I am in good shape, I can really make a difference. I am convinced results do come from hard training.”