Bellazon

Filippo Inzaghi
Thumbnail

sandy

Filippo "Pippo" Inzaghi, Cavaliere Ufficiale OMRI,(IPA: [fiˈlippo in'dzaːgi]; born August 9, 1973, in Piacenza) is an Italian footballer who plays as a centre forward for Italian Serie A giants AC Milan. His positional sense near the goal has helped him score many of his career goals.

Biography

Club

The older brother of fellow footballer Simone Inzaghi, he got his start playing for hometown club Piacenza Calcio as a teenager, in the 1991-92 he appeared twice before going on loan to Leffe; while on loan he scored an impressive 13 goals in 21 games for the Serie C1 club.

In 1993, Inzaghi moved to Hellas Verona and scored 13 goals in 36 games in Serie B. He soon returned to his first club Piacenza Calcio, however, to collect 15 goals in 37 games and proved himself as an exciting young prospect.

Inzaghi stepped up to the top league the following year, with a move to Parma A.C.. He played only 15 matches, getting 2 goals. In 1997, he fully burst onto the Serie A scene with Atalanta as the season's top scorer in the Italian Serie A with 24 goals, and was named the young player of the year.

A big move was on the cards for the Italian, as he moved to Juventus under Marcelo Lippi. Along with Alessandro Del Piero and Zinedine Zidane, the three formed a formidable attacking partnership which would last for four seasons. The team won the Scudetto in the 1997-98 season and narrowly lost in the UEFA Champions League final the same year.

Inzaghi scored a total of 57 goals in 120 games for the Old Lady, but moved to A.C. Milan after falling out of favour to David Trézéguet. He suffered a knee injury and was out for half of his first season at the new club. Upon return, however, Inzaghi forged a strong goalscoring partnership with the Ukraine legend Andriy Shevchenko.

At Milan, Inzaghi became the all-time top Italian goalscorer in the European competition history, beating the previous record of 39 goals held by Alessandro Altobelli. With him, the club won the European Cup (2002-03) and (2006-07),the Scudetto (2003-04), Italian Super Cup (2004), the European Super Cup (2003) and the Coppa Italia (2002-03). They also lost to Liverpool in the European Cup final in 2004-05, a match Inzaghi missed due to injury. In 2006-07 Inzaghi scored twice to win 2-1 against Liverpool, settling the score from two years previous.

The 2005-2006 campaign was a particularly emotional time for Inzaghi. Not only did he recover from persisent knee injuries to play in the second half of the season, but he also regained his predatory goal-scoring form that made him a prolific player. Inzaghi was able to help AC Milan finish strongly in Serie A (third place) by netting 12 goals in 22 domestic league matches and adding 4 goals in 5 matches in Milan's UEFA Champions League campaign. Milan was eventually eliminated by FC Barcelona in the semi-finals of the tournament. In the 2006-2007 season, Inzaghi looks to forge a strong striking partnership with current national squad teammate, Alberto Gilardino and recently-signed Brazilian superstar Ronaldo.

On May 23, 2007, he scored both of Milan's goals in a man-of-the-match performance during Milan's 2-1 defeat of Liverpool in a rematch of the 2005 final. The first was an Andrea Pirlo free kick in the 45th minute that caromed off his shoulder. The second goal was assisted by Kaka as Inzaghi slipped the ball underneath Liverpool keeper Pepe Reina's outstretched body and into the net in the 82nd minute. Inzaghi's selection for this match was vindicated by this performance. Inzaghi had this to say about his two goals in Athens: 'It's a dream since I was a child to score twice in the final and the ones I scored yesterday evening were the most important in my life. It was an unforgettable game. It's something that will stay with me all my life and two goals in the final speaks for itself.'

International

Inzaghi made his debut for Italy against Brazil on June 8, 1997, and has since scored 23 goals in 53 appearances. He is currently the eighth all-time top scorer for Italy. He played in the following competitions: 1998 FIFA World Cup, Euro 2000 (scoring against Turkey and Romania), and the 2002 FIFA World Cup. However, he was left out of the Italian squad for Euro 2004 in favour of Bernardo Corradi, Alessandro Del Piero, Marco Di Vaio, Francesco Totti, and Christian Vieri.

The persistent knee and ankle injuries kept him out of football altogether for almost two years before his resurgence at the club level. Marcello Lippi finally recalled him to the Italy national team in preparation for the 2006 World Cup. In the 2006 FIFA World Cup, Inzaghi scored once in his lone appearance in the tournament. This remarkable goal, which he scored against Czech Republic as a substitute, saw him beat an offside trap with a well-timed run to receive a through ball and dribble a lengthy part of the field to score on Petr Cech in a one-on-one encounter, rounded Cech, leaving him scrambling on the ground before tapping in. His late goal sealed the win for the Italians as they defeated the Czech Republic 2-0.

pippohv5.th.png pippo2migliorgoalaward0cl3.th.png inzaghi1showwf2.th.jpg 1153825471256816ps1.th.jpg

Inzaghi thinks positive

Filippo Inzaghi has thanked his teammates for helping him to continue his remarkable period of form.

“We knew it wasn’t going to be as easy as some people suggested. We had a good start despite the cold, rain and very strong wind, but we got the points and that is the important thing,” said the striker.

The Italy player netted a brace in the 2-1 win in the Faroe Islands that sent the Azzurri into second place in Euro 2008 qualifying Group B.

“In the first goal I thought the ball was beyond me, but thankfully I managed to get a touch. This is a great time for me and I must thank my teammates for doing everything they could to help me. Andrea Pirlo’s pass was studied at Milan.”

On Wednesday they travel to Lithuania to face a side that had held Italy to a 1-1 draw in Naples earlier in the campaign.

“We know what happened in Lithuania not long ago with a 0-0 draw. This is a tough fixture and we must be totally focused,” added Inzaghi.

“In Europe we know that there are no easy games. I don’t believe any of us underestimated this test. Even if we had won 7-1, it would still have ended up with three points. Admittedly it wasn’t a vintage performance, but we have to look at the positives.”

Inzaghi’s attitude to the Azzurri jersey is one of constant and ineffable enthusiasm, so how does he view the decisions made by Alessandro Nesta and Francesco Totti to refuse international call-ups?

“I don’t want to judge others, as everyone makes their own choices. Let us not forget that Totti and Nesta have given so much to the Nazionale.”

Pippo's favourite year

Filippo Inzaghi ends his season on a high after success with Milan and Italy. “This’ll be the best vacation of my life!”

Although he did not find the back of the net in Lithuania, SuperPippo played his part in the 2-0 win.

“Tonight we knew we needed a performance like this. It was only right that I sacrifice myself and work for the squad after they helped me to score so many goals.

“I am going on holiday now and I think it will be the best vacation of my life! Last year we didn’t have a break after the World Cup and with the early Milan recall, so to win the Champions League and get six crucial points with the Azzurri I am on a real high.”

He bagged a brace in the 2-1 win over Liverpool and then repeated the trick in the Euro 2008 qualifier in the Faroe Islands.

“It would be too much to expect a repeat of this season, but one lives in hope! People in my line of work live for nights like the one in Athens.

“What makes me even happier is that I am alright physically after only a brief problem in January. I’m almost disappointed the season has ended, as I’m in great shape!”

This week Rossoneri Vice-President Adriano Galliani complimented Inzaghi on his work rate and training regime.

“Everyone can see what you do on the field, but behind the scenes is another situation. I am very honoured that Milan praised me,” said the striker.

“As for Italy, to be at home and watch them from there is painful for me. It is an incredible feeling to pull on the Azzurri jersey and represent your country.”

With Francesco Totti, Paolo Maldini and Alessandro Nesta stepping away from international football, was Inzaghi ever tempted to pack it in?

“In all honesty I have never considered retirement. I did not have much of an impact on the World Cup, even if I was able to score a goal in my 20 minutes.

“The compliments I received from my teammates at the tournament spurred me to carry on and I am always at the disposal of my country.”

The famous goal poacher did get a little ratty at Antonio Di Natale this evening when the Udinese man went for glory despite Inzaghi being in a better scoring position.

“Di Natale and Fabio Quagliarella are exceptional, it is impossible to be angry with them. I do know the situation full well, as I’ve shot from there enough times with a teammate clear!”

The squad banded together after the bitter criticism of Roberto Donadoni’s choices in the 2-1 win over the Faroe Islands.

“Donadoni was a player and so he understands where we are coming from. We knew there was tension in the media, but he is very much appreciated by the side and we get on very well with him.”

• 1 month later...

Inzaghi rejects MLS offer

Filippo Inzaghi has revealed that he turned down an offer from New York Red Bulls. “I will end my career with Milan.”

The Rossoneri started their pre-season training in Milanello on Monday and the world champion made no secret of the fact he is looking to win more trophies with the San Siro outfit.

“I received a very interesting offer from New York. It’s an amazing city where there are many Italians,” admitted SuperPippo.

"Furthermore, I would have had the possibility of challenging David Beckham and his LA Galaxy team, and they would have covered me in gold,” added the former Juventino.

“However, I had no doubt whatsoever. I will end my career in the Milan shirt, which has become a second skin for me.”

Inzaghi, who was recently praised by football legend Pele, expressed all his pride in being a Rossoneri player.

“To wear this shirt is an honour and a privilege. Adriano Galliani strongly wanted me when I was at Juve and always defended me and helped me, the club has had a special rapport with me.”