Bellazon

Miguel Torres
Thumbnail

footballfan#7

"This has been a great experience"

Carlos Cristobal (Dublin) / Translation by Michael J. O'Donnell

Miguel Torres faces one of the most important years of his career. The defender is in great form and was a starter against Shamrock Rovers.

What’s been the preseason highlight so far?

It’s been one of the shortest preseasons I’ve ever experienced, but it’s been very intense. I think it has been a good experience to train three times a day. It’s good to divide the workload. We’ve managed to come up with a rather good squad that has important players. I also believe it is important to have footballers from Castilla on the team. I hope some of them stay with us.

What do you expect of the season on a personal level?

I personally believe it is a very important season, especially for those of us who worked very hard in the academy. I believe this team has chances of making its mark in the Club’s history. I personally want to do my best for the coach and I will try to play as much as possible.

Have these first few days been special?

Yes, they have, because many people follow what we do and the atmosphere on the squad is great. I think we are all very motivated. We are all trying to show the coach we are fit to play. We believe this could be a great year for us, especially those of us who have been at Real Madrid for so long.

Demands are high this year...

There’s always much expectation at Real Madrid at the start of each campaign, but there may be even more this year. Maybe it’s because of the season we had last year and the players who have joined us. It will be hard for the coach to make up his mind because there are a lot of us on the team. We will have to work hard to be in optimum form; we want to reach and hopefully win the Champions League final at the Bernabeu.

It seems like it is the team’s duty to reach that final...

More than our duty it is something we deeply feel. It must be amazing to be able to play a Champions League final at your stadium, before your fans. I think it’s within our grasp if we do a good job. I hope we get there, especially for the fans’ sake; they deserve it.

Benzema scored the team’s first goal. How’s he coming along?

I think he is doing very well. People are talking a lot about Cristiano and the influence he may have on the team, but Benzema is a great signing for us. He is proving his great quality in every training session and he can score with both feet. It makes me happy that he scored the first goal and I hope he can keep it up throughout the year.

What kind of team can fans expect to see this season?

I hope we all do our best in every match. We all want to play, so we’ll give it our all whenever we get a chance. All I can say to our fans is that they will be happy with our performances because we will all give 100%.

Is keeping ball possession what Pellegrini wants?

Yes. He’s been telling us that keeping possession is very important since day one. I think it’s important to create ball movement rather than to chase the ball. It will help us stay in good form. The coach still has work to do and we are open minded in order to grasp his ideas as soon as possible.