Bellazon

Stephanie Seymour
Thumbnail

bigassscans

http://thebosh.com/archives/2008/02/stepha...op_magazine.php

Why curves are the big issue

Katie Grand, editor-in-chief of influential 'POP' magazine, pays tribute to a catwalk maverick

The person you put on the cover of a magazine sends a message to the world, so it's vital that you get it right. In the past, POP's cover stars have been celebrities (Madonna, Liz Hurley, Kylie), models (Gisele, Kate Moss, Agyness Deyn), even fashion designers (Stella McCartney). This time, we've not only put a model - Stephanie Seymour - on the front but we've devoted the entire issue to her.

For those not familiar with the name, Stephanie was one of the early 1990s breed of supermodels, that definitive generation who became famous well beyond the confines of the catwalk. But she was different from the rest of them, both physically - 5ft 10in and a curvy 34B-22in-35in - and in attitude, possessing a maverick quality that would ensure she became part of fashion mythology.

I admit to something of an obsession with her. I grew up knowing all about her - what she was wearing, who she was modelling for, and, most intriguingly, who she was going out with.

At 14, the Californian girl known as Daddy Longlegs entered the Elite agency's Look of the Year contest. She didn't win, but two years later she was living with John Casablancas, the head of Elite. Not long after splitting up with him, she had a fling with Warren Beatty, who was cool back then.

Then there was her three-year affair with rock's wild man, Axl Rose of Guns N' Roses and she appeared in the band's videos for November Rain and Don't Cry. There were rumours that the wedding that took place between her and Axl during the former was - unbeknown to her - legally binding. Whatever the status of that union, in 1994 she married the art-collecting, racehorse-breeding publisher Peter Brant, with whom she has had three children.

Now 39, she has devoted much of the past decade to bringing them up. However, she has continued to model for Playboy and Salvatore Ferragamo, and was the face of Victoria's Secret.

So what is behind my choice of Seymour for the cover? Many decisions in fashion are based on gut instinct - and selecting Stephanie was one of those. I've met her several times - and on each occasion she's intrigued me more. Artistically, her work has remained fascinating. In 2002, fashion photographer Juergen Teller published a marvellous book of intimate and challenging images of her.

Living legends aren't that scarce in fashion. Think Kate or Naomi or photographers Mario Testino and Steven Meisel. But Stephanie was always more elusive than her supermodel sisters - and consequently all the more enigmatic.

Fashion is also full of accomplished models, but she's more than that, too. Even the best never quite match the beauty of their best shots - most fashion imagery is fantasy, after all - but Stephanie actually looks better in real life.

I first met her last September in Paris, during preparations for the Louis Vuitton spring/summer 08 show, which I styled. The scene veered from the cinematic - as she stepped off her private jet, dressed head to toe in Azzedine Alaïa - to the comic as, completely flustered, I struggled to utter a sentence.

I've never before encountered such an overwhelming physical presence. Like Jessica Rabbit, she looks like she's been drawn - an archetypal voluptuous, womanly figure made flesh. Then, after the mythology and the physical perfection, comes the real shock when you discover that actually she is incredibly down to earth.

At the Vuitton show, she was the first on the catwalk. You might think that with her amazing looks and 25 years of modelling experience, she'd just breeze in, but she was nervous, fretting that she wasn't sexy enough to be the first on the runway.

Of course, she was! By devoting this issue of POP to Seymour, I suppose I'm throwing the spotlight on a more curvaceous femininity than we have seen of late.

However, it has nothing to do with age - a return to curves, breasts and hips isn't an age thing. What I know is that people in the fashion industry are currently very excited about shape and substance - as illustrated by the hourglass, feminine silhouettes in the new spring/summer collections - two qualities which Stephanie has in abundance.

She has to be one of the most overrated models ever.

actually shes underrated. this talent is on the same level as schiffer and crawford. but the never did her makeup right in my opinion. i have the same gripe about ambrosio. but seymour is even further than ambrosio. they always capture her posed like a slut too. and shes way too good for that. they should re-do her career all over again cuz she is a standard and she is really the highest level of model that can be.

wow who-ever said she is overrated is seriously disturbed! She was drop dead gorgeous at her prime. Maybe even more so in live tv than print, but I have always adored her

She has to be one of the most overrated models ever.

actually shes underrated. this talent is on the same level as schiffer and crawford. but the never did her makeup right in my opinion. i have the same gripe about ambrosio. but seymour is even further than ambrosio. they always capture her posed like a slut too. and shes way too good for that. they should re-do her career all over again cuz she is a standard and she is really the highest level of model that can be.