Bellazon

Post Halloween Scary Stuff

Cult Icon

It's not really a mystical Halloween legend stuff and i am not sure is what you asked for ? But this scene

851382tumblrlt9oovASIT1qfol9c.gif

372740tumblrlt10.gif

in the original "The Texas Chain Saw Massacre"

Is one of the greatest fear of my life.

I was maybe 11 when I watched this scene -and only this scene of the movie- and it gave me nightmares for very long years.

I am a huge horror movies fan -certainly because of this movie, i needed to exorcise my fear- but it took me 25 more years to watch this movie for the first time. And u know what? I had nightmares!

Christy, Scary or just 'interesting' stuff will do.  :)

As a child, the Xenomorph/Facehugger terrified me and gave me nightmares.

It's not really a mystical Halloween legend stuff and i am not sure is what you asked for ? But this scene

I challenge you or anybody else to find anything truly terrifying.  I am so numb and thick skinned about these things at this point..:=p

I was never really afraid of aliens and other extraterrestrial creatures when I was a kid. Things that I thought could be true like in the movies "The Texas Chain Saw Massacre" or "poltergeist" or "A Nightmare on Elm Street" or "the descent" were the kind of movies whom terrified me. And, I am not ashame to say it, still terrify me. Horror/scary movies is really my favorite genre of movie.

I've got a set for that ready.

:chicken: :chicken:

Poor stupid girl and the butcher hook

^^

Oh, I would like to find more scary stuff!  For you, too!

You know with Alien it taps into the fear of insects (they are basically gigantic bugs) and rape. ;)  I thought "The Thing" (1982) was unsettling- the drama/moral choices plus the unpredictability of its appearance.  Hmmmph, I have to think harder now..

The Ring (with Naomi Watts)- no horror classic at all- worked for me partially due to the situations but also due to the fact that she was established as an attractive/articulate woman.  Naomi, after all- (unlike most scary movie women) is a very good actress.   Somehow, she convinced and the film made me hope that no harm would befall her.

The nightmarish atmosphere of Se7en was very effective and so was 12 Monkeys.

I love horror. It is the best genre and most under appreciated genre in the movies. I love anything scary.

My all time fav horror film is Halloween. But as a child I remember being extremely frightened of Gary Oldman as Dracula. Don't know if anyone saw that version. But I was about 4 and was watching it at my uncles home. It gave me nightmares for days. I remember having the same dream over and over being locked alone in the middle of the night in a car and Gary Oldman as the withered Dracula opening the door to take me away.

Much like Cult I'm very thick skinned now. It takes a lot to actually frighten me. I'll jump and get freaked out during a movie but I want movies to make me think about them for days after I had seen them. That doesn't happen anymore. The last time I remember feeling that way was watching The Others.

On a Halloween note, here is SOMA.  I pity those who play it, LOL.  They'll get nightmares.  The concept is quite disturbing- deceased human beings trapped in robot bodies and TV monitors & in pain.  That'll make a good Halloween costume..:

• 2 months later...

"Until Dawn" is top shelf fun.  It's an 8 hour interactive horror movie with very good motion capture, structure, and acting.   It uses a lot of horror movie tropes while at the same time, being completely aware and subverting them with surprise choices.  It doesn't take itself too seriously yet escalates the situation with every passing hour with a good use of ever-increasing tension and stakes.

Several outstanding games this year: Bloodborne has a lot of excellent 'lovecraftian' designs and outstanding artwork.   The story is the classic 'cult worships spagetti monster writ large'- in this interpretation, the cult is the majority of a society and not a small, insular group.  The bosses include spagetti monster gods and the whole production is dripping with lore.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JL5acskAT_2t062HILImBkV8eXAwaqOj611mSjK-vZ8/preview

• 3 weeks later...