Bellazon

Josie Maran

143952josiemaran.jpg

Josie Maran has one jam packed schedule! Josie, the creator of her own earth friendly line, Josie Maran Cosmetics, is the perfect inspiration for greening your beauty routine in honor of Earth Day this Friday.

JOSIE’S FAVE ECO BEAUTY PRODUCTS

1) Mascara is one of my beauty staples - it instantly adds drama to any look and brings focus to the eyes. My favorite eye product is my new GOGO Instant Volume Argan Mascara not only because it adds va-va-voom volume to my lashes, but also because it gives back to a great cause. For every mascara sold, I’m donating one to a patient at City of Hope, one the nation’s leading cancer care centers.

2) I really love my new Argan Matchmaker Serum Foundation for its amazing chameleon pigment technology. The foundation goes on white, but turns into your perfect shade as you blend into the skin. It’s magic! Plus the formula has anti-aging Argan Oil to hydrate and smooth fine lines.

3) Rare Elements Essential Conditioner - this conditioner is amazing and it smells great. It can be used everyday but a great tip is to leave it in the hair for about 15-20 minutes for a great deep conditioning treatment.

4) My all-time favorite beauty product (and my beauty secret) is my 100% pure, organic Argan Oil. Rich in Vitamin E and Essential Fatty Acids, it nourishes the skin and makes my skin glow. I use it as a daily moisturizer, but I also love it because it’s a multi-tasking cure all. You can use it on your hair to fix split ends, to moisturize dry cuticles or even to heal psoriasis!

5) I love Priti nail polish. It is very pretty, it is non-toxic and comes from a responsible company. All huge pluses!

6) Duchess Marden Damascena Pure Rose Water - this is great to use all year round, especially in the Summer. I love lightly splashing it on my body to give me a boost of energy. I love really simple, natural scents like rose water. Synthetic fragrances are very unhealthy!

7) Dr. Bronner’s soaps are natural, smell great and last a long, long time!

JOSIE’S BEAUTY TIPS

I love making my own beauty treatments at home, using natural ingredients from my own kitchen. One of my favorite DIY beauty recipes is a Sea Salt Peppermint Foot Scrub with Argan Oil, which I make at home. I mix 1 cup of course sea salt, a dropper full of Argan Oil (about 10 drops), 6 drops of peppermint oil and one tablespoon of Dr. Bronner’s Magic Pure Castile Soap, an organic soap made from Olive Oil. I blend all of the ingredients with my hands to make a wet paste, then massage onto my feet to remove dead skin and smooth rough calluses. The Argan Oil works to moisturize and nourish the skin and leaves feet feeling soft - just like a salon pedi!

I always look for multi-tasking beauty products with nourishing, natural and beneficial ingredients. I love my new Argan Color Sticks - hydrating balm with 100% pure organic Argan Oil and rosy color. Two birds, one stone! Plus, you can use it on cheeks as a creamy stick blush. It saves time and space in my makeup bag.

JOSIE’S FAVE MAKEUP LOOK

Bold, bright lips! I loved seeing bright coral, plum and red lips on the runway and will be using my new Magic Marker Argan Oil Infused Lip Stain Duos to recreate the look throughout the season. Magic Marker Argan Oil Infused Lip Stain Duos are extremely long-wearing and won’t bleed, which are really important when you’re wearing bold colors. Plus, they provide long-lasting hydration with the Argan Color Stick. Waltz is a vibrant berry shade and will look great this Spring

Face Time | Josie Maran

image2wx.png

Tina Turnbow is a professional makeup artist who is known for lending her celebrity clients editorial polish.

Josie Maran has created an eponymous line of all-natural cosmetics that are infused with the super oil argan. After working 17 years as a model as well as doing some acting, she knows a thing or two about makeup. She wanted to create products that would satisfy the needs of the most discriminating makeup artists … and she succeeded. She’ll be at Sephora’s 597 5th Avenue location on April 21, where she’ll celebrate Earth Day from 6 to 8 p.m. I caught up with her for a minute, between bicoastal QVC excursions, for a little face time au naturel.

Q. How, when and where did you discover argan oil?

A. I was turned on to it by a makeup artist on a modeling job in the South of France. I use first cold-pressed argan oil; it’s the purest. In Morocco, they cook with the edible version. It makes you beautiful from the inside out.

Any natural ingredient challenges lately?

Well, the replacement for parabens has been phenoxyethanol. That is now looking like it has unhealthy side effects. We’re trying out the honeysuckle flower as an effective alternative.

What do you think is the key or keys to your success at QVC?

I think the fact that I’m comfortable in front of the camera. I’m relaxed, honest and passionate. I also have a story to tell that draws folks in. And most importantly, the product works and is beneficial to you, another plus.

How about your makeup for the camera and the dreaded HD?

I start with my Primer Mist, foundation and concealer. I’m enjoying a bronzey eye lately; Chianti is a great color. Then Jive lip stain, a juicy orange. I top it all off with my matte bronzer. It adds warmth but not shine. You want to stay away from to much shimmer and shine for HD.

And blend, blend, blend! What is your favorite blending tool?

My fingertips are my favorite makeup brush! I especially like to apply my eye shadow with them, get it nice and smudgy. All my favorite makeup artists used their fingers to apply and their hand as a palette.

Would you consider yourself a businesswoman first and foremost?

My husband is the businessman in the company. I would consider myself an inventor at heart, or reinventor. I picture my daughter, Rumi Joon, as my future partner.

I have the feeling you like a challenge.

The more difficult and challenging, the better. If you tell me I can’t do something, it just makes me want to do it more.

What do you think is the most important green thing you should do?

Taking your clothes to a natural and organic dry cleaner. It is better your body doesn’t absorb chemicals from your clothing on a daily basis.

Which of your products are you loving right now?

My self-tanner. It is 100 percent natural. A safe way to get a suntan.

Do you use products from other lines?

A Shu Uemura lash curler — the best.

When do you feel the prettiest?

When I haven’t looked in a mirror, or at a Blackberry, in a long time. In a remote place, removed, near the ocean … maybe Bali. With a bottle of argan oil on hand, of course.

Any idea why you have done so well in such a competitive arena?

If you love something as much as I love my product, others will do the same