Bellazon

Batwoman - CW show

SympathysSilhouette

Rant time.

I don't get why they spent an entire season on the Kate Kane (is she alive or not) story line only for them to write her out of the show just after she has been resurrected? What was the point?

Especially since I think Wallis Day made a great Kate Kane (and she looked a lot more like Rachel Skarten than Ruby Rose ever did if they were meant to be twins).

I have the feeling this was them buckling a bit under the pressure. I suspect their original plan was for Kate to retake the Batwoman mantle from Ryan Wilder, but then the show's writers got criticized for the mere potential of them writing Javicia Leslie out of the show.

If they wanted to stick with Ryan Wilder as Batwoman, fine, but then the entire Kate Kane subplot this season makes zero sense and is almost a huge waste of time.

Wallis Day's disappointed social media posts also suggest she suspected or hoped to be involved for longer than this.

@SympathysSilhouette

Overall, I thought S2 was an over-complicated mess. As much as the showrunners were put in a difficult position with the curtailment of S1 and Ruby Rose's departure, there were ways they could have resolved it that would have made far more sense.

Obviously Ryan Wilder took up the mantle, there were parts of her character that worked and I'd consider Javicia Leslie a better actress than Ruby Rose, but this was still very much the Kate Kane show throughout. The only plotline Ryan had some genuine investment in was the Crows and that went down like a bit of a lead balloon.

With all that said, there's a chance we may see a stronger third season, since we presumably get Ryan without the baggage of Kate and really the whole Kane family, we get Ivy, and the writers have a real opportunity to do something fresher.