Bellazon

Gaspard Ulliel
Thumbnail

tinkerbelle

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Death of Gaspard Ulliel: his funeral will take place on January 27 in Paris

medium_2022-01-23-d2bc01d276.jpg

FUNERAL – The opportunity to pay a last tribute to the French actor. Gaspard Ulliel’s agent announced on Saturday January 22 that the funeral of the actor who died at the age of 37 after a skiing accident, will be scheduled for Thursday January 27 in Paris.

His agent, Laurent Grégoire, spoke to AFP to indicate that this ceremony will take place in the Saint-Eustache church, in the 1st arrondissement of the capital. However, it has not yet been specified whether or not this ceremony will be open to the public.

The accidental death of Gaspard Ulliel has sparked a multitude of tributes, from the political world to that of the cinema, to a man who had a brilliant career and was very popular in the cinema world.

An accident “in fairly simple circumstances”

An investigation was entrusted by the Albertville public prosecutor’s office to the CRS Alpes to clarify the circumstances of the fatal collision between Gaspard Ulliel and another skier, which occurred on Tuesday January 18 in the resort of La Rosière, in Bourg-Saint-Maurice.

Investigators from the CRS Alpes d’Albertville, this police unit in charge of high mountain resorts, have since been working to “investigate the causes of death” of the 37-year-old actor. And according to their first findings, the investigation is heading towards a dismissal, no responsibility being apparently engaged.

“According to these first testimonies and the observations made on the spot, the two skiers were moving side by side and ran into each other”, explains Anne Gaches, the public prosecutor of Albertville. “For the moment, it is difficult to say whether it was the shock or the fall that led to Mr. Ulliel’s death”.

In addition, the prosecutor added that there is nothing to ensure that wearing a helmet on the side of the actor would have changed the outcome of the accident. Indeed, if the other skier involved, a man of Lithuanian origin, was wearing a helmet, this was not the case for Gaspard Ulliel. “This accident is very sad but the circumstances are quite simple, there is no particular complexity”, finally concluded Anne Gaches.

Source

These Are Gaspard Ulliel's Best Performances, Ranked

As we mourn the tragic loss of French actor Gaspard Ulliel, we look back at his best performances.

R4VoivHNXbWJ5ve8aZ1FFks7QyYIEh.jpg?q=50&

Gaspard Ulliel was a well-known French actor, who was granted the title of Knight of the Order of Arts and Letters in France. He made his debut in Summer Things in 2002, which earned him a Lumières Award, one of many he would receive in his lifetime. After a horrible skiing accident, Ulliel tragically died at the age of 37. It’s only fair that he be remembered for the performances he gave us.

Ulliel had been a big name in cinema since his appearance in A Very Long Engagement and had branched out into his most known role in North America in Hannibal Rising. Most recently, Ulliel was cast in the Disney+ original MCU series Moon Knight. While we anticipate the release, there are plenty of other Ulliel performances to enjoy. These are Gaspard Ulliel’s best performances, ranked.

Hannibal Rising

suAFRwvMJJKM_6Kz6_1BjA2h4euLoJTzEfikJKsC

Probably one of Ulliel's most well-known performances, especially in North America, is his role as a young Hannibal in Hannibal Rising. It tells the origin story of Hannibal Lector, who sees his parents' deaths at the hands of the Nazis, his journey through medical school, and his obsession with gaining revenge, which develops into a taste for killing and disposing of his victims in a cannibalistic manner. While the film itself is not one of the most revered of Hannibal films, Ulliel’s performance was enough to save Hannibal Rising from total disaster.

One Nation, One King

QWdQBI8mIr4biRmqr9oSJvhDQ-XX3lbH5nz2sLxz

Set during the French Revolution, One Nation, One King follows the lives of young men and women who sacrifice everything for change. Ulliel plays the role of Basile, a revolutionary dedicated to the cause of taking down the monarchy, determined to even the playing field. Ulliel brings out the very essence of the opinions of the French people during the Revolution and their opinions of King Louis XVI as they struggle to make their voices heard. The film includes a number of historic figures including Robespierre, a French lawyer who was an advocate for citizens without a voice.

The Dancer

the_dancer_gaspard_ulliel.jpg

The Dancer is a biographical film about Marie-Louise Fuller, also known as Loie Fuller who pioneered modern dance. Marie-Louise moves to New York to pursue her dream of becoming an actress. While on stage, she avoids an embarrassing fall by spinning the fabric of her dress, inventing the Serpentine Dance. The dance gains a great deal of popularity, but when Marie-Louise finds that she is being replaced by imitators, she leaves New York for France. Ulliel plays the role of Louis, a man who takes an interest in Marie-Louise when she arrives in Paris. While Ulliel’s role is not a lead, he still manages to bring charm to his character and the screen.

Sibyl

-BdVNhuSFpIMr5FVtHTgsq1qCd3pIu6j_15YSq-j

Psychotherapist Sibyl is determined to carry out her true passion of writing. New patient of Sibyl’s, actress Margot, is a source of inspiration. Fascination with Margot’s troubled and complex life soon becomes obsession as Sibyl slowly creeps into almost every aspect of Margot’s life. Ulliel plays the role of Igor in Sibyl, Margot’s lover and co-star who is also dating the director of the film they are working on. The film features an ensemble cast alongside Ulliel including Virginie Efira, Adéle Exarchopoulos, Sandra Hüller, and Paul Hamy. Sibyl was the last film Ulliel acted in that was released during his lifetime and was even selected to compete for the Palme d’Or at the 2019 Cannes Film Festival.

Saint Laurent

IUu1fBeo9uKS7LrdYu_3QZle-dPzlmbOASDqL0xv

Telling the story of Yves Saint Laurent during his career at its height, honing his creativity to forge a sturdy identity for himself and his brand in the fashion industry. Saint Laurent explores Yves Saint Laurent’s most active years in which he built a name and reputation for himself within the industry of design. Ulliel plays the title character in Saint Laurent and his phenomenal performance as the fashion tycoon earned him a Lumières Award for Best Actor. Saint Laurent was also a contender as the French entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the Academy Awards, but was ultimately not chosen.

Jacquou le Croquant

jacquou-le-croquant-gaspard-ulliel.jpeg?

A film based on a miniseries of the same name from 1969 and the 1899 novel, Jacquou le Croquant is a story of an uprising against an evil nobleman. Ulliel stars as the title character Jacquou who lives a happy life with his family until the Count of Nansac has his father executed, and his mother succumbs to starvation leaving Jaquou an orphan who is forced to beg on the streets. When Jacquou grows up, he leads the citizens in an uprising against the Count. Ulliel's performance gives off the determination of a man who has had everything taken from him.

It’s Only the End of the World

UTvGwapTvnMMIQW5tAtGCYnx2Gubclrfvv1AvwyH

Based on the play of the same name, It’s Only the End of the World revolves around writer Louis who returns to his hometown to reveal the tragic news to his family that he is dying. The film follows the struggles of both Louis and his family as they struggle to find empathy for him and his circumstances. This Canadian film earned a number of awards, including a César award for Best Actor which went to Ulliel for his performance. The film even gained credit from the Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, praising director Xaviar Dolan for his contribution to the Canadian creative arts.

The Princess of Montpensier

6eUZhBltsgnHjVDHeO7o68j7pcvKdsVAfRmXcWBV

Marie is arranged to marry the Prince of Montpensier, but trouble brews when she falls in love with soldier Henri de Guise, her childhood friend. The period romanc The Princess of Montpensier was inspired by the novel written by Madame de Lafayette. It includes the religious strife that occured and St. Bartholomew’s Day massacre in which Catholics hunted down and murdered thousands of Protestants. Ulliel plays the role of Marie’s lover Henri as the two struggle to find their happiness and express their love despite the surrounding strife. Ulliel’s performance as Marie’s lover Henri is authentic and poignant as towards the end, he makes a decision that not everyone could make.

Summer Things

xXlyexONKEIzEc6EG6NKd2GmVKKXEl3gIDGN83gB

Summer Things follows married couple philandering real estate Bertrand and bored housewife Elizabeth and their neighbors Véro and Jérôme. In an attempt to get closer to her neighbors, Véro plans a trip at the same time as Bertrand and Elizabeth, ending up at the same resort. Ulliel plays the role of Loic, son of Véro and Jérôme. The French title Embrassez qui vous voudrez, which roughly translates to Kiss Whoever You Want which seems a more appropriate title considering the contents of the film. Summer Things was released to critical acclaim and earned Ulliel his first Lumières Award for Most Promising Actor.

A Very Long Engagement

Gaspard-Ulliel-in-A-long-engagement-Sund

During WWI, Mathilde searches for her fiancé Manech, said to be dead. Based on the novel of the same name, the film stars Audrey Tatou and Ulliel in the lead roles in A Very Long Engagement. The film was nominated for two Academy Awards and won five César Awards, one for Most Promising Actor for Ulliel. This tragic love story was subject to much praise for the performances and the direction by Jean-Pierre Jeunet, responsible for the masterpiece called Amelie.

Source

No shame in grieving a celebrity’s death

Gaspard-Ulliel-Wiki-Biography-Age-Net-Wo

On January 18, French actor Gaspard Ulliel collided with another skier at La Rosiere in Savoie, France. Ulliel, who was not wearing a helmet, suffered serious brain trauma and died in hospital the following day at the age of 37.

I was lying in bed with insomnia at the time, doom-scrolling through social media at 4am. The harsh glow of the cellphone wasn’t doing anything to help me sleep, but in my defence, my brain wasn’t exactly functioning at full capacity. A fairly innocuous tweet caught my eye: ‘RIP Gaspard Ulliel’. It was so short; I almost scrolled past it. But I didn’t, and my stomach sank.

Gaspard Ulliel was young, beautiful and talented, known for his portrayals of budding cannibal Hannibal Lecter in Hannibal Rising (2007), fashion mogul Yves Saint Laurent in Saint Laurent (2014) and for being the dashing face of Chanel’s fragrance Bleu de Chanel. Most headlines following his untimely death highlighted his upcoming appearance in Disney’s new series Moon Knight (2022). I first encountered him in Jean-Pierre Jeunet’s A Very Long Engagement, a touching story of a young woman’s search for her soldier fiancee, presumed dead on the battlefields of World War 1. Ulliel’s portrayal of a young man scarred by the atrocities of war was subtle, touching and broke my heart.

I wasn’t alone in my sadness, although my feelings paled in comparison to those who knew him personally, of course. In a statement forVariety, Cannes festival director Thierry Fremaux remembered his friend: “Gaspard belonged to this new generation of actors who were making tomorrow’s French cinema. He was equally brilliant and talented. He gave a lot and we’ll always remember him.”

This year is only a few weeks old and yet it has taken so many household names — Meat Loaf, Sydney Poitier, Bob Saget, Louie Anderson, Andre Leon Talley and Peter Bogdanovich, to name a few. There’s an odd, self-conscious feeling that accompanies the sadness one feels over a celebrity’s death — a profound but confusing sense of loss. For many, our childhoods were marked by the works and offerings of these stars. They produced the soundtracks of our youth, or were our first crush. We saw ourselves and others in them. They were chimaeras, a beautiful mix of reality and our own projections.

I was in high school, in the fledgling phases of my French obsession when I discovered Gaspard Ulliel. He was but one man in a rotating cast of beautiful, talented French celebrities whom I worshipped: Alizee, with her bubblegum-pink pop music, Brigitte Bardot, with her otherworldly allure, Julien Dore, Coeur de Pirate (Quebecoise, but she sings in French), Carla Bruni and Audrey Tautou.

I longed to learn French, to sit on the banks of the Seine and delicately eat a croissant while being serenaded by a beautiful French youth in a beret and striped blouse. Of course, when I actually had the privilege of travelling to Paris, I was sorely disappointed. It was grubby, bustling, hot and full of sleazy men who thought nothing of catcalling or casually harassing women in the street. I ate a rubbery slice of cheesy pizza and fended off the advances of drunk middle-aged men. Like Gatsby with his green light, I learned that my idea of something eclipsed the real thing.

Gaspard Ulliel’s death was similarly disconcerting. Celebrities — even as they age, bicker, marry, divorce, bear children and have public breakdowns, seem somewhat immortal and unchanging. They are constants in our lives and minds: always young, always beautiful, always healthy, rendered in HD, surround-sound and overly saturated tabloid pictures. Their death seems unreal and wrong, as if the DVD has frozen or the record has skipped.

And here’s the thing that really gets to me. Gaspard Ulliel’s death hit me hard because in so many of his performances, I saw glimpses of my brother, John. I know what we see on the screen is not reality; I know Ulliel was only ‘‘acting’’ and that he was his own person, quite apart from his cinematic and artistic endeavours. But in his gentle, troubled soldier Manech, I saw my own brother’s mental anguish as he battled his own demons, even if his spectres did not arise from the blood and mud of war. Ulliel’s characteristic scar on his cheek — once described as the ‘‘most famous scar in French cinema’’ — reminded me of John’s scar above his top lip; the remnant of a particularly ferocious toddler who bit my brother viciously on a playdate when both children were only 2 years old. Both Gaspard and John’s scars transformed their faces, especially when lit by a smile.

I can’t help but wonder whether celebrity deaths or other high-profile incidents might act as trigger points for an outpouring of grief over the cumulative stress and pain of the last few years; the fear of contracting a potentially lethal virus, the loss of livelihoods, the general uncertainty and ever-changing circumstances. Perhaps the simple act of grieving for someone one never knew personally is a form of catharsis. There is strength and solidarity in being part of a collective sadness, of reading other people’s tributes and remembrances of those who have passed on, of knowing that one is not alone in feeling mournful and unmoored in the uncertain, constantly-shifting reality of the pandemic.

For now, I will remember that it’s OK to feel sadness for the loss of someone I admired, even from afar. I didn’t know Gaspard Ulliel personally, but I greatly respected his work, and I feel a muted but deep sense of grief for the loss of someone so young, loved, and talented.

Source

Just some lovely words from Lea Seydoux. Love the 3rd pic :heart:

045ae918eb282e8e6126330d7735ba0d989cf607

7e56ace3d9f6f495a1a26a46c217b82fc8c32c0c

47d6b161353e8a64691a16d62244776842dd7162

2a2ed0c91e73d5ed48f36db28201ecc6817089eb

d6a7b24b672da02d3ea9612232401e5130d2f4f2

25154217b7f93d9661663d75890e9398cf69e174

9ff896ab54c029b92cdba0cfd9eb209cdcb4921a

“The death of Gaspard is the loss of a national treasure, he gave off a crazy light. He had a constant gentleness and regard, he was open to the world, he was interested in people. He had this singular charm of combining beauty with talent and he had his own way of being there while always being a little elsewhere. This alliance was irresistible.”

- Léa Seydoux in Libération 

Source

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...