Bellazon

Jimi Hendrix
Thumbnail

Casper

One is an original genius, the other played in a very succesful The Who Tribute Band, named after an aircraft filled with hot air :p

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, pretty like that :laugh:

But it's all a matter of taste, in the end...

• 3 weeks later...

Jimi was an inspiration for many guitarists. I teach guitar now, and a lot of kids ask me i can "play like Jimi Hendrix". And i can, because i am amazing. But also because Jimi basically took the blues licks he had heard as a child and put them on electric, distorted guitar. Then he was just in the right place at the right time. He wasn't technically brilliant, like a Steve Vai or Satriani, but he improvised better than pretty much anyone on the planet, before or since.

History lesson over.

PS. All Along The Watchtower is clearly the best Jimi song.

jimi best improviser on the planet? ok.... i miss out on the jazz days when people could improv over more then 1 chord change :\, sorry neone can take the pentatonic and play it in 1 key the whole song.

Just because jazz musicians have more free time than friends doesn't mean they are better than the rest of us. The amount of strong Italian coffee also has no bearing on how well a musician improvises.

I play jazz often, and have found it interesting to play but boring and wandering to listen to. Someone improvising over 5,6 or 7 key changes just doesn't sound good. And when where these 'jazz days'? People still play jazz, Red. It's not as if jazz just stopped, is it?

And yes, Jimi was the best improviser on the planet, when it comes to inventing new song on the spot. Have you ever listened to any live Jimi bootlegs? See how many different scales he used - more than just pentatonic and blues scales.

jazz days = when it was popular , but was overruled by 3 chord songs.

NO jazz hasent stopped, but its popularity has

Boring playing more then one key change?... ok w/e u say

I consider it boring playing 1, so repeitive, so blah, so ah who knows, i cant talk much i like SRV

Jazz musicians have free time? maybes its because they are dedicated to making quality music.... Hendrix = overrated

Perhaps I could take you more seriously if you took the time to write out proper sentences that actually make sense. No offense, but "I consider it boring playing 1, so repeitive, so blah, so ah who knows, i cant talk much i like SRV" makes very little sense!

And i get your point but it looks like we are both too stubborn to back down, so i'll leave it there.

I'll throw my two cents here. I think that jazz musicians developed the improvisational skill the most. If you got Hendrix and, let's say, Pat Metheny next to each other and arranged a guitar solo battle between them, Pat's solo would very probably be more complex and all... he would own Hendrix as far as technique and improvisational complexity are concerned.

The real key to Hendrix' style is the amount of emotion in his songs and solos. And if we take it into account, he was simply the best improviser in the rock world.

Jazz is a different story, really.

hmmm you find it hard to take me seriously because i dont write out complete sentences? the reason it doesnt make sense is because u didnt understand the sentence b4 then? i wanted to emphisize the fact that im torn on the hole issue myself, considering i love SRV and the emotion he puts into every note he plays, and sticks to these 1 key songs. As for putting up Hendrix vrs Metheny? lol that would be a cool scene, as for rock guitar players putting more emotion then jazz guitarists, i dont no, i suppose u have to like jazz alot to get the emotion out of it

I find it hard to take you seriously "And i can, because i am amazing", sound so full of yourself... im sure there are plenty guitar players on this forum, me being one, who doesnt care if you can play some hendrix tune, so can 50 other million kids who start off guitar and play Purple haze....

Little wing is where its at, although all along the watch tower was a good dylan cover which is one i can honestly say i like the cover more then the original. Hendrix isnt bad, Hendrix is just overrated.

hehehe...

Red, I play more than just Hendrix. I play jazz, blues and rock, and i have passed all the grades you can throw at me. If you particularly want i can do you a rough recording of me. I was being arrogant then to raise a laugh, i wasn't seriously believing that i was amazing...

As for Hendrix vs Metheny that would be interesting. If it was a CrossRoads style thing that would be hilarious. Hendrix would have the wow factor, but obviously Metheny would "be more complex and all... he would own Hendrix as far as technique and improvisational complexity are concerned".

I've heard Little Wing and Purple Haze far too many times for me to like them any more. But live, Jimi out does most jazz guitarist for sheer emotion and drug-fuelled intensity. Jazz musicians (i know, because i'm one of them) tend to find their way around their song based on the chord changes going on around them and stick with licks they have already learnt, applying them to new chord changes as the song goes on. Jimi had more guts, and went all out every time, with (nowadays pretty average) speed and guile.

And some capital letters wouldn't go a miss, Red. (j/k)

"Jazz musicians (i know, because i'm one of them) tend to find their way around their song based on the chord changes going on around them and stick with licks they have already learned"

A good jazz player doesnt rely on licks, but on the mood of the rhythem section and w/e hes felt. sure you would have to worry about chord changes, and what not, but still doesnt cut back from the emotions they try to express. Jazz is far from lick bassed, although, some jazzers just play licks, but the good players dont need licks, just a good rhythem section... Miles. now im not saying every jazz artist dont use licks at all, they use some, but dont rely on them all the time like you might claim

i think this is a healthy discussion :)

Well obviously not all jazz musicians are as lazy as i am, but many jazzers prefer to just reel off a solo and change whatever doesn't sound good according to theory - jazzers my age (mid-twenties) don't usually just play jazz, they play all sorts of styles and play jazz because a) It's cool to play jazz and, more importantly in my case, b) jazz cafes pay better than blues or rock venues. And of course some of them actually enjoy playing jazz!

Nowadays, its more about theory than 'feel' - if you are going to feel your way around a jazz solo, you have to concentrate - difficult if you're plaing in a cigar and strong coffee smelling cafe. So many just rely on theory - you look at the chord changes are being played, work out the corresponding modes/scales and work out what licks you already know that can be applied to that song, unless its a standard, like Blue Boy or something, in which case the whole band knows it so well you can 'feel' you way around it.

As you may have guessed, i'm not a particularly radical jazz player, i just nick Barney Kessel/Metheny/Howe licks and apply them to new songs. Unless i can work out the song very quickly, that's what i do.

And i can PM you a recording Avenger. Just give me 30 minutes or so. I'll do something silly like Santana and Deep Purple so you won't think i'm cheating.

could u pm some of that stuff? id like to hear also

i dont know if all thats true, especially the whole theory than feel. i suppose in somecases u can feel that way, but its hard to generalize that. the hole topic, can u express yourself if your concentrating on chord changes, i think yea... its easy if you know your way around the fret board. Do i think rock tunes express themselves also? of course, im a huge SRV fan, and to me hes the most expressive player ive heard. but saying jazzers worry about chord changes moreso then being expressive?.... i dont think so, but those r the jazzers ive heard, but yea please send me your santana and deep purple stuff, im a huge santana fan :)

Check your PM Red. :) (sorry, forgot to do Santana and Deep Purple, will do it another time.)

I certainly get what you are saying - I assume that most the jazz players you listen to are 'of a certain age', correct? Older jazzers have infinitely more experience than players of my generation and know many more songs than i do, so have heard most chord changes many hundreds of times. They can therefore 'feel' their way around songs much better than someone like me - they've heard it (or things similar to it) before. That's why jazzers keep going till their 70s and even 80s.