Bellazon

Iker Casillas
Thumbnail

Rani_7

Recreativo vs. Madrid

GOALKEEPERS: Casillas, Diego López & Casilla.

DEFENDERS: Ramos, Cicinho, Cannavaro, Helguera, Marcelo, Mejía, Roberto Carlos & Torres.

MIDFIELDERS: Guti, Gago, Diarra, Robinho, Beckham, Higuaín & Reyes.

FORWARDS: Raúl & Van Nistelrooy.

Recreativo Huelva: Laquait; Merino, Beto, Pablo Amo, Poli; Jesús Váquez, Barber, Juanma (Aitor, 58'), Cazorla; Rosu (Uche, min.45) & Sinama Pongolle (Javi Guerrero, 53').

Real Madrid: Casillas; Torres, Ramos, Cannavarro, Roberto Carlos; Diarra, Gago, Beckham, Robinho (Guti, 75'); Raúl & Van Nistelrooy.

Referee: Mejuto González. Booked Cannavaro (30'), Beckham (59') and Laquait (53').

Goals:

0-1 (8'): Robinho scores a header from a brilliant cross by Beckham.

0-2 (53'): Van Nistelrooy scores a penalty.

1-2 (73'): Jesús Vázquez scores a penalty.

2-2 (76'): Uche puts the finishing touch on a corner by Aitor.

2-3 (90'): Roberto Carlos scores after a counterattack by Higuaín and Gago.

Highlights: Matchday 35 of la Liga. Venue: Nuevo Colombino Stadium. A minute's silence was held in memory of the five people who died in a bus accident on their way to Madrid before Christmas to see the previous fixture between both sides at the Bernabéu.

Casillas press conference

"We've fought hard"

Real Madrid's goalkeeper pointed out, like the rest of his teammates, that the team's confidence and hard work are what's earning them good results. The keeper talked about their forthcoming rivals and shared his guesses on the outcome of the matches that will take place this weekend.

Did Capello congratulate or reprimand the team after Sunday's victory?

A bit of both. He first congratulated us for winning, but he was a little angry because we made things complicated for ourselves when we were 2-0 up. We want to take the games we have left more calmly.

You better. At this rate, the fans are going to have a heart attack...

Yes, they are. But I would have liked to play like this at the very start of the season. I wouldn't mind suffering in the next few games as long as we win. I guess many things went through our fans' heads when Recreativo drew the score and Roberto's goal must have made them very happy. Winning like this makes us savour our victories more.

Many say you are lucky to be leaders.

We are working hard and well and you have seen how we've climbed from the fourth position to the first... We have never stopped working hard, but we are more confident now. The other teams have great squads and play good football, but we are now on the privileged spot. Luck or no luck, good or bad refereeing, I believe we are at the top because of our efforts. We've fought hard and the most important thing now is that we depend on ourselves to win the title.

The 6-0 defeat against Barcelona must have been a very hard blow for Atletico Madrid.

I'm sure their fans must have been very disappointed, especially because they are looking to qualify to play in Europe. They must have wanted to win, but the build up to the game and Barcelona's seriousness made them lose.

What would you like to say to their keeper, Pichu?

It's painful to concede so many goals, especially at home. I can say little to console him. I once conceded five goals against Deportivo. There are many easy excuses, like inexperience, youth, etc, but they're all rather silly. He is Atletico's keeper because he's proved to deserve the spot.

Barcelona's rivals have nothing to lose. What would you think if they got a bonus for defeating the Catalans?

We players are professionals and we always want to win for our sake and for the Club we play for. No one's going to go down easily. Look at Espanyol; they had nothing to win or lose and gave an excellent performance at the Bernab

Casillas, Ramos and Soldado with the NT

Squad

Goalkeepers: Casillas, Reina;

Defenders: Ramos, Angel, Javi Navarro, Marchena, Puyol, Capdevila, Antonio Lopez;

Midfielders: Xavi, Xabi Alonso, Cesc, Albelda, Iniesta, Silva, Joaquin, Angulo;

Strikers: Torres, Villa, Soldado.