Bellazon

Sekiro: Shadows die Twice (2019)

Cult Icon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So, I finally bought the game at a discount price and that's really worth it. I'm really enjoying the experience.

Sure, there are bad things: the AI is dumb af (most of the low level ennemies are deaf, blind and kinda stupid), the camera doesn't know how to handle walls and the level design could've been improved...

... but, all in all, this game is great. I love playing it. The story, the characters, the graphics, the difficulty are all awesome. Most of the basic ennemies are very easy, but some of the bosses are a real challenge (not all of them: some are surprisingly easy) and that's what makes them enjoyable.

I liked this mini boss. He was quite easy to beat (his fight pattern is very predictable and regular like a metronome), but I liked his design and his backstory (though the game doesn't tell you much and this guy is extrapolating a little bit - for example, I don't see any hint that the knight is Portuguese).

I like the concept of a knight going to the end of the world to save his son.

• 1 month later...

From Software has a quite talented group of writers that are very knowledgeable about fantasy.  The way Miyazaki uses lore is to not throw it in the player's face with cutscenes.  He tends to hide the lore in conversations, environmental clues, item descriptions etc.  

That Vaati youtuber made a youtube career just piecing together the clues- with the help of souls fans- into coherent stories.

Sekiro was somewhat more narrative driven than the other souls type games. 

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 4/4/2021 at 10:20 PM, Enrico_sw said:

@Cult Icon  There is a Netflix TV series on the Sengoku period in which Sekiro takes place. It's pretty good.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10551256/

It's really good. They use a wee bit too much superlatives for my tastes though (you can't just say " it's the most decisive battle in Japan's history" every 10 minutes........)

I like the acting a lot.

On 4/4/2021 at 4:20 PM, Enrico_sw said:

@Cult Icon  There is a Netflix TV series on the Sengoku period in which Sekiro takes place. It's pretty good.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10551256/

Looks interesting.  It literally looks like Ghost of Tsushima.  I have heard that GOT is unrealistic in the way that clothing/armor/weapons are actually more like the Sengoku era- which predates the Mongol invasions. 

The Hagakure was written partially as a response to existential angst.  The Sengoku era was seen as the time of "Real men", "Real honor", and "real samurai" while the later, more peaceful eras had the stigma that the samurai class had become more decadent, corrupt/business oriented, effete, and fake.  There are classic Japanese movies that explore this theme.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 8/4/2021 at 5:29 PM, Cult Icon said:

@Enrico_sw  have you seen the anime film "Ninja Scroll"?

I just realized that the film most likely influenced Sekiro, there are all sorts of things that are similar in the two works.

No, I haven't but it looks good. I'll put it on my watchlist.

• 1 year later...