FashionDream

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Interview by Colin Withrow for 1990MAG.com

A MOMENT WITH CHARLEEN WEISS

Where are you from?

I was born and raised in Leipzig/Germany but I live in Berlin right now.

What was it like growing up there for you?

The best thing that could ever happen to me because it teached me how important friends and family are and to stay down to earth.

At what age did you start modeling?

I was scouted when I was 15, I finished my High School and started being a full-time model at age 19.

What made you want to go into modeling?

Tbh I actually didn’t plan on being a Model but I guess what kept me going was the experience I got when I was in Tokyo. I just turned 16 and my english wasnt as good, I knew no-one from all of the people that’d surround me every day for the next 6 weeks but it was my very first trip as a Model and it kinda got me. Meeting new people, seing different cities, being able to actually live in different places ..

Was it easier or harder than expected to get jobs?

I gotta admit that I had a real good start which got me frustrated when it wasn’t as easy.

But I learned to not have too high expectations when it comes to jobs/castings. There are hundreds of thousands of models.

How do you manage the stress that comes with the industry?

I take time off, go back home and that’s where being a model is not a thing, that’s where people remember me as braceface and tracksuit-Charlie. Sure, my friends and fam know what I do but they also know that this is not the only thing I can offer.

What is something that most people believe about being a model that isn't true?

Lemme think.

EVERYTHING !

I hate it when people ask me „sooooo .. an apple is yo lunch ya?“ like nooo duh I’m still eating and not little. If I feel like pizza at midnight, I get a damn Pizza and if I feel like cheetos, I eat them all.

Or being dumb, cocky, rich, models don’t actually work they just look good blablabla

Sure, from time to time you’ll meet a Model that will live up to the stereotype but, jeez, just get over it.

How has your life changed since you've grown in popularity?

Once I get famous, I’ll tell you.

Who's your favorite person or brand that you have worked with so far?

Every shoot is special in its own way BUT my fav work so far has been 10 days of shooting a TV commercial for Axe/Lynx in Budapest. It’s ages ago but it’s still in my head. The huge team, the costumes, the shooting locations – it felt like we shot a big hollywood movie lol. Oh and I’ve worked with two Victoria Secret Models which got me mindblown.

Do you get to travel often?

A big YES. Traveling is bittersweet I’d say. You get to see so many places and meet so many yet unique personalities but there will be the point when it’s time to leave and you don’t know when you’ll be back.

What's your favorite destination?

Thats a hard one.. europewise it’d be Barcelona and London where I lived for a while but overseas it’s def LA, the Bay-Area and probably south east asia.

I feel home basically everywhere.

What advice do you have for people who are trying to get into the modeling business?

To be selfconfident, yourself and not to expect too much. It’s a big business and you’ll need some time to get along the differences to other „normal“ jobs. It’s a cool world but it can be pretty fucked if you can’t live it.

Are there any upcoming projects that you're doing that we should know about?

I just shot a Cover for a high end Magazine which usually stars celebs like Kylie Jenner, Eva Herzigova, Jennifer Lawrence, Olivia Palermo, Irina Shayk, Bar Refaeli and many other, a new fragrence TV commercial is about to drop and I’m going to LA in September 2017.

Any last comments?

Accept and love yourself the way you are, chill out, protect the world we live in and listen to some good Hip Hop/Trap/Grime.

• 2 weeks later...