Bellazon

Gotham City Sirens (2018)

Michael*

David Ayer is back in the business of DC comics villains. The filmmaker, who directed Warner Bros.’ all-bad guy comic book movie Suicide Squad, is reuniting with that film’s star, Margot Robbie, for Gotham City Sirens, a feature project that will showcase the top female villains from the DC stable, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Ayer will direct and produce the project with Robbie reprising her role as Harley Quinn, the part-time girlfriend of the Joker who is currently DC's most popular female character. Robbie is also executive producing.

Sirens was a recent comic series from DC that focused on the popular villainesses from Batman’s rogue gallery. Among them were Quinn, Catwoman, Batman’s sometime love interest, and Poison Ivy, who uses plants and their toxins to get what she wants.

Geneva Robertson-Dworet, a top female writer in the action sphere who has also penned scripts for the Tomb Raider remake and Warners' own Sherlock Holmes 3, is writing the screenplay.

The heads of DC’s film arm, Geoff Johns and Jon Berg, will also be involved in a production role.

Suicide Squad was a tough production and the movie underwent reshoots but it all turned out fine for all parties involved as the movie grossed over $745.6 million global. It is now the 13th highest-grossing superhero release of all-time domestically and has surpassed the international box office of Deadpool, a movie to which it was often compared to in terms of tone.

The studio is still developing a Squad sequel as well as looking into a spin-off featuring Deadshot, the assassin character played by Will Smith. But this project was the furthest along, and with Robbie’s Quinn having received near universal praise from Squad, this was the most natural project for Ayer with which to make his Warners return. The filmmaker is currently nearing the end of principal photography for Bright, his fantasy thriller for Netflix that stars Will Smith and Joel Edgerton.

Warner doesn’t have a release date for Sirens, but the project is now on the fast-track.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/gotham-city-sirens-movie-david-ayer-margot-robbie-reteam-all-female-dc-villains-project

I feel like this is being treated as a Suicide Squad 'do-over' of sorts, because despite that movie's undoubted promise, it suffered from a clash between David Ayer's original vision for the story, the studio's demands and fan expectations.

There's no reason why it couldn't still be an interesting proposition, though. I'd love to see a good adaptation as I consider it one of modern-day DC's most worthwhile properties, as well as some of Paul Dini's best work. However, between Warners' recent track record of over-simplifying source material and the Harley/Ivy dynamic presumably being one of the most important plot points, I don't know if I trust them not to simply make 'Trash Level Fan Service: The Movie'.