Bellazon

Sergio Ramos
Thumbnail

Tali

0 – MALLORCA: Moyá; Héctor, Ramis, Nunes, Navarro; Jonás, Basinas, Jordi López, Varela (Jankovic 80’), "Caño" Ibagaza (Arango 71’); Maxi López.

1 – REAL MADRID: Casillas; Ramos (Raúl Bravo 56’), Helguera, Cannavaro, Torres; Reyes, Diarra, Gago, Robinho; Higuaín (De la Red 86’) and Van Nistelrooy.

GOALS:

0-1, min. 77: Reyes free kick.

REFEREE: Fernández Borbalán (Andalusian Referee Association). Ibagaza (24’), Ramos (43’) and Diarra (66’) booked.

NOTES: Matchday 19 of the Primera Liga played at the Ono Estadi. Real Madrid wore black armbands in honour of the death of Vicente Boluda Crespo, father of Club Vice-President Vicente Boluda Fos.

Sergio Ramos injured

Real Madrid defender Sergio Ramos was replaced by Raúl Bravo in the second half of tonight's match after suffering a sprained right ankle. Once the team returns to the Spanish capital, the Club's medical services will assess the severity of the injury and determine the player's approximate recovery time.

"I hope to play on Saturday"

"We are currently leaders and we must fight to stay at the top"

Alarms went off on Sunday when Sergio Ramos had to be substituited in the match against Mallorca after a tackle. The defender hopes for his sprained ankle to be healed in five days so that he can take part in the match against Villarreal. The Sevillian player is happy with the image the team have given in recent matches and trusts they will be leaders until the end of the season.

How do you feel from your injury?

I feel well. I find that surprising because I thought it was going to be much more serious. The doctors ran some tests yesterday and everything seems to be going well. I hope to make it to the game on Saturday by not forcing my ankle too much. I may make it, but we'll have to see how well I recover and what the doctors say. I have to keep working and put a lot of ice on my ankle.

The team seems different.

The important thing is that we were all anxious to play and that we made a great effort. I think the match was very tight. Mallorca never made things easy for us and fought very hard for the three points. We achieved our goal thanks to Reyes' netting. We are now leaders and we should fight hard to remain so for the rest of the season.

Who do you think have more chances of winning the League, Sevilla or Barcelona?

Neither right now. I only focus on Villarreal as they are our next rivals. There are many games left and many points still at stake, so anything can happen. We just focus on what we can do, not on other teams' possibilities.

What has changed in order to make you a better team?

Not much has changed in the past few weeks. We were only five points behind and now we have finally caught up to share the top spot. We got some reinforcements and we are all going through a good moment. We have an excellent squad and we must take advantage of that.

The fact that the team is rejuvenating itself may force the exit of some veteran players.

That's up to other people to decide. The players will always welcome someone new who can help the team, but we must focus on doing our job regardless of who arrives.

What do you think of the Beckham and Ronaldo situation?

The Club made a decision, but they are, above all, teammates that are still on this squad. We still have the same relationship with them and we love their company. We would like them to stay.

A year ago, you scored a goal against Mallorca that wasn't celebrated by your teammates as fervently as Reyes' goal was this weekend. Is this a sign of the players being more united?

We have always been a very united squad. We shouldn't think about what happened last year. The main difference this weekend was that we all wanted to win and the goal made us extremely happy.

Truth be told, most teams have very few chances on goal this season.

This probably means that they are all defending very well. I don't think the lack of goals in the League has anything to do with a lack of good strikers or with forwards not being in shape. I think it all comes down to their defense being tighter.

Do you agree with Ronaldo and Cassano leaving the team?

It's not up to us to decide, but they are unique players with a special talent and we would like them to stay on the team. Nevertheless, the Club sees things differently.

Will you become a Betis supporter for a day for the Seville derby?

Impossible, that will never happen. I will naturally watch the match because we can benefit from the result, but no, I will never support Betis.

Next week will be important for the Club as the judge will decide whether or not to allow absentee ballots from the past election.

We care because the decision will affect the Club. The decision will be very important for Real Madrid. We have to try to avoid making any comments on the matter and we must hope for things to happen for the good of the Club.

Not counting on Ronaldo seems risky, especially when the team is finding it difficult to score.

Many players are injured and this forces some of us to play many games. This takes its toll on the squad. Ronaldo is a great player that can score practically any ball he gets. We are happy with the fact that he is still with us. Let's hope we get used to scoring again.

Villarreal vs. Real Madrid

• Keepers: Casillas, Diego López, Casilla

• Defenders: Salgado, Sergio Ramos, Cannavaro, Raúl Bravo, Helguera, Pavón, Mejía, Miguel Torres

• Midfielders: Diarra, Gago, Robinho, Reyes, De la Red, Nieto

• Strikers: Van Nistelrooy, Higuaín