Bellazon

Dua Lipa
Thumbnail

balenciagaaa

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dua Lipa is on the cover of Elle magazine’s May 2019 cover, on newsstands April 23.

Here’s what the 23-year-old singer had to share with the mag…

On the American audience vs the European audience: “They’re brutal. The trolls stateside are the worst. When I was starting out, I never remember feeling hate. Then things got big, and I felt this weird expectation of being Beyoncé already. Everything you’re doing gets looked at under a magnifying glass. People want to stunt your growth. They scrutinize you and tell you what you should look like or what you should do or ask why did you cut your hair? You constantly live in fear of not being good enough. It’s crazy; you have to be really strong.”

On her second album and the possibility of a sophomore slump: “I don’t want to make it scary for myself; there’s no point. As a new artist, you’re competing with people who are years and albums ahead of you, way more successful. It’s tough. But I have a lot more confidence going into a room and saying what I want. You can’t be gone for too long. You have to keep putting music out. Some things will work, some won’t. I’m just going to make music I’m proud of that represents who I am. I want my fans to know they backed the right horse.”

On not reading about herself online: “It’s this vicious cycle where you don’t want to read it, but you go looking for it, then you get yourself upset. I can’t let the opinions of others define what I feel about myself. That’s something I’m constantly telling my fans as well. Platform or no platform, musician or not, everyone’s getting bullied because everyone’s got this screen and they feel like no one can see them.”

For more from Dua, visit Elle.com.

dua-lipa-elle-01.jpg dua-lipa-elle-02.jpg dua-lipa-elle-03.jpg dua-lipa-elle-04.jpg dua-lipa-elle-05.jpg dua-lipa-elle-06.jpg dua-lipa-elle-07.jpg dua-lipa-elle-08.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...