Bellazon

Dua Lipa
Thumbnail

balenciagaaa

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Miss Vogue Meets: Dua Lipa (June 2016)

Dua Lipa's sultry vocals and hip-hop-inspired pop beats have caught the attention of the music industry, earning her a reputation as one of 2016's fastest rising stars. With her new single Hotter Than Hell dominating the UK charts, and her glam-grunge look giving us major style envy, we know she's one to watch. Miss Vogue caught up with the singer to talk Nineties icons, London hotspots and the labels she's loving at the moment.

Dua-Lipa-WBR.jpg

What are the inspirations behind your music?
All my music is very autobiographical. I write a lot about the things that have happened to me and surrounded me - the whole story behind my music is that people all go through the same thing in one way or another. It's all very personal.

What musicians have been your biggest influences?
Pink and Nelly Furtado, for sure. I love them.

If you could collaborate with anyone on your next record, who would you most like to work with?
I would love to work with Kendrick Lamar. I like him as an artist - I'm a big fan of hip-hop - and I've always wanted to collaborate with someone that's a great rapper. I just love his music and the orchestration behind it, I think it's really cool.

You're a hip hop fan? Could a rap album be on the way?
[Laughing] No! I'll stick to singing!

What music are you listening to right now?
I'm listening to Chance The Rapper's new album pretty much on repeat. My favourite track is No Problem, it's so good. I fell in love with his music when I was listening to his last album, Acid Rap. I played it on repeat for a really long time, so I've been waiting for his Colouring Book album to be out for quite a while. Now it's released, I'm very happy.

What's your ultimate summer playlist track?
That's a tough one. I like that song by Icona Pop, I Don't Care - it's pretty fun.

You've got quite a distinctive sense of style. How would you describe your look?
I feel very inspired by the Nineties. Most of the pieces I wear come from that era - you'd catch me in a choker, fishnet tights and a leather jacket any day.

How much does your onstage look differ from your everyday style?
Not much. I feel like I wear kind of the same things on stage that I would wear every day, unless I'm being lazy and then I just wear trackies. But actually, if I'm honest, I wouldn't really walk down Kilburn High Street in a leotard, and I would wear that onstage [laughs].

How do you put together your onstage outfits?
I have a stylist. We work together, and we're very much on the same page in terms of ideas. She also helps me source loads of things from cool and up-and-coming designers.

Who are your favourite designers?
There are so many. At the moment I'm really loving this Spanish label called Mané; I've been wearing some of their stuff. I love Acne, and No. 21 is also one of my favourites.

Who would be your dream designer to create a red-carpet look especially for you?
Oh I don't know, that's so tough to choose. Probably Givenchy.

Who is your style icon?
Nineties Drew Barrymore, Kate Moss, Chloë Sevigny. Icons from that kind of era. I just like their vibe. I remember all these old pictures that I used to reblog on my Tumblr, they were always a style inspiration.

What's your go-to store when you're out shopping?
Urban Outfitters for sure. I feel like I can find anything there, it's really fun. I can also get quite carried away with the gimmicky things while I'm there, and just end up buying loads of vinyl and camera film.

What's the last thing you bought?
I treated myself and bought a pair of black high-heeled boots from Vetements. I broke my old black boots, so I thought, "Ahh, I should just buy a new pair."

If you weren't a singer what would you be doing?
I literally don't know. I always told myself never to have a plan B - I feel like that's also one of the reasons I'm doing what I'm doing now, because I just never really rested until I got here. If I wasn't a singer, I would be a fairy princess [laughs].

You're a London girl at heart, what are your favourite places to hang out in the capital?
Soho. You'll find me there the most. I feel like there's always some sort of cute little bar or new restaurant, there's not necessarily one space. I love the food spots - whatever's the new thing that's opening, I need to go and try it out.

What's your ideal date destination?
Ramen at Bone Daddies in Soho, and then going to the arcade just around the corner. That's my favourite thing to do, because then you just go and play on the dance mat for hours.

When you're not working how do you relax?
Sleeping! I spend a lot of time in bed when I'm off. But if I'm feeling adventurous, I'll go to a gallery. I actually went to the Jeff Koons exhibtition this week at the Newport Street Gallery - I love going to different art exhibitions, I find a lot of inspiration from them.

You'll be playing at Flow Festival this summer. Do you have a pre-show mantra to calm your nerves, or do you find you don't get nervous?
I definitely get nervous, but I've now decided to call it excitement rather than nerves! Before I go on stage I like to spend some time with just my band and no one else, and have a cup of tea because that calms me down. I just let it work it's magic, it warms me up before I have to go out and sing.

Who are you most looking forward to seeing while you're touring the festivals this summer?
I'm hoping to catch Adele at Glastonbury, I'm looking forward to that. That'll be fun.

When will you know that you've made it?
Perhaps when I've put out eight albums? I feel like there's a lot I want to prove to myself and a lot of work I want to put into my career too.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...