Bellazon

Natasha Oakley
Thumbnail

katchitup

Surprised she doesn't have at thread yet. Popular bikini model, but is now more so a popular business mogul and has her own line of swimwear and athletic clothes. 

Storm Model Management:

Screen Shot 2016-07-04 at 5.24.08 PM.png

Sydney-born, LA-based swimwear model and entrepreneur Natasha Oakley is idolized worldwide for her natural beauty and relaxed beach-chic style. Best known as one half of the ‘A Bikini A Day duo’ (alongside her best friend Devin Brugman with whom she runs the popular website), multi-faceted Natasha counts Model, Presenter, Designer, Producer, Entrepreneur and Digital Influencer amongst her many talents and credits.

0.jpg 00.jpg 000.jpg 0000.jpg 00000.jpg 

http://www.applesandpearsentertainment.com.au/artist/natasha-oakley/

image.jpg

Lounging on the beach every day is usually an activity left for ladies of leisure—unless you're Natasha Oakley and Devin Brugman, who've turned their love of bikinis and the beach into a burgeoning career. While the two worked and traveled to exotic locations—armed with bikinis to spare—for Oakley's production company, A Bikini a Day was born. The cult blog covers everything from style and beauty to men, all through the lens of their oceanside philosophy. Two years later, and boasting 300K loyal Instagram followers, the girls themselves have become bonafide beach babes in their own right, with their personal pages also amassing over 400K followers each. What makes these two so unique? While they have the beauty to match any Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition cover model or the girls who grace the pages of the Victoria's Secret catalog, they're real girls with real curves. Through their blog, they strive to promote positive body image no matter what you look like, and their newly-launched Monday Swimwear collection also aims to further their initiative. We chatted with Oakley about running a two-woman show, and of course, her all-time favorite bikini.

If you could only wear one bikini for the rest of your life, what style would you choose?

The classic triangle bikini. It's just my favorite personally and it fits the body perfectly. I know I can always put on a side-tie triangle bikini and it doesn't matter what brand it is—it will always be a good fit. That's what we've incorporated into our new line Monday Swimwear. We're really focused on the right fit—that perfect triangle bikini that's got the perfect cut for our girls.

How did A Bikini A Day come about?

I was living in Hawaii for two years, and I had a photo and video production company. Devin [Brugman] was assisting me. I was working with all the local brands there and I started working with a few swimwear brands, shooting lookbooks and videos. Then I moved to California, but I kept up a working relationship with these brands. They would give me and Devin suits, and we were traveling around to Australia and Mexico and all these places—it was the beginning of Instagram and we were posting a million bikini photos. It got to a point where people were actually annoyed by us. So, we were sitting on our couch one night and were like, we need to make something more of this because its actually ridiculous how much we are in bikinis. So we said, let's start a blog and call it A Bikini a Day. A month later it became my full-time job, but my production company is still fully incorporated into what I do. All of our content is shot and edited by us. It's easy to travel around the world with just the two of us and a camera in our hands.

What's a typical day like for you and Devin?

Devin's in school full-time studying business, and I'm pretty much traveling non-stop. I'll only be home in Los Angeles for two weeks at a time and if I'm not traveling, I'm organizing a trip. I have a travel addiction, I'd say. When I was younger, I went to ten different schools and lived in Miami and all throughout Sydney. I've always moved around a lot and always want to be on the go. Typically we will be shooting every day, whether its for my personal blog, Bikini a Day,Instagram or Monday Swimwear.

What's your process for selecting bikinis to shoot?

In the beginning we only picked Brazilian-cut suits because that's what we loved—but we realized everyone likes something different and we try to reflect that, plus our tastes are always evolving.

Being photographed in a bikini all the time can't be easy, how do you maintain your body confidence?

I've always been a pretty confident person and I think Devin as well. I just see it as whatever you've got, just rock it and go with it. In my life I've traveled so much, gone between so many schools, and am always meeting new people so I realized the most important thing is to stay true to yourself. That feeds into body image as well. If you know you're living a healthy lifestyle, you should love your body for what it is, and not try to be something else. Our confidence has gone up so much since people have said they've been inspired by us. People write to us saying they were afraid to wear a bikini because they're a little curvier and now they're in bikinis all the time. There's no way in this world that we shouldn't be appreciating our bodies and who we are.

Do you have a hard time staying active since you're always on the go?

It is hard, obviously because a certain part of fitness is having a routine and when you're constantly somewhere else it can be hard. L.A. is one of those places people go to relax and it's a good place to get in that routine, but we are working everyday so it feels like we're always active—whether we are working out or working shoots, which can be exhausting.

What are your tips for looking your best when taking a photo in a swimsuit?

It depends on your figure and individual body shape but there are certain angles you can work. It's a matter of standing in front of the mirror and studying which angle your body looks best in and keep it in mind when taking a photo. On the beach, I can't stress enough about finding a bikini that's flattering on your body. We incorporate these kinds of tips on A Bikini A Day that explain the pear-shaped figure, the hourglass and which suits are best. It's always good to go in the store and try a few on. I know it's not a good experience these days and the terrible lighting—it scares me even! But you have to go in and find the suit that you like the best. Don't be afraid to wear sheer sarongs, and fun coverups. A lot of people are self-conscious about things that aren't worth it. I personally struggle with cellulite and I realized pretty much every woman feels that way, and it's considered so horrible for some reason, but that's what we're made of. It's what we look like, so it's just a matter of knowing if you're a happy, healthy person. Through all our followers supporting us, I've been able to feel more confident about that as well. Once you become comfortable with your figure you can understand it and not be afraid to take a photo in a bikini because you know how to stand confidently.

What do you do when you're not working?

Well we're working all the time. I'm the type of person who takes on more than I can handle—I'm always making the most of the day I'm in. When we have time off we will be on the beach. Everything we do we're taking photos of for one of our platforms—it's a full-time, all-consuming job to constantly be creating content and people don't realize that because they think, "Oh wow look at these girls they travel all over and hang out in bikinis," but a lot of thought goes into it all. We've gotten a lot of positive feedback and know at the end of the day we're doing all this and people appreciate it.

Where's your favorite place you've traveled?

Every trip I go on! I call my dad after every trip and say that's the best one I've ever had and he says, "you say that every time". I was just in Bali and that was absolutely amazing, I really loved it. I love Ibiza, and Dubai. Of course, I love Hawaii because I once lived there. I think every place is amazing in its own way, especially when you're on beaches. Clearly I'm not a big fan of the snow.

What are the best swim trends for 2014?

This season is all about the neoprene suits—they are really amazing. They're a little difficult to cut because they don't actually mold to your body like other materials, but when its done right it's really amazing. There's also the sporty mesh panels that are incorporated into swim, as well high-cut suits. Those all definitely have editorial appeal. Also Brazilian-cut bottoms have become really popular. I'm so happy because when I look at some girls' butts on the beach—I'm like, "you need to have a Brazilian bikini on! What are you doing?" Girls get a little bit worried about wearing it but I just can't stress enough how flattering it is.

What are your go-to swimwear brands?

It's really hard to choose actually because generally I'll find a piece in everyone's collection that sort of becomes my favorite. I do love Vix, Agua Bendita, and Mikoh. I would say those are my go-tos—I know I can always find something really great but I do tend to change my new favorite bikini every week. I literally become obsessed with one bikini in a particular collection and that'll be my new favorite brand until the following week, when I find another one.

How would you describe your personal style?

I like to mix masculine and feminine aspects that are flattering to my body type.

Who are some of your favorite brands?

Helmut Lang and Rag & Bone. In terms of Australian designers Dion Lee. I love Australian designers. I think they're really talented and think they're becoming more prevalent in the states. Every store I go into, if there's an Australian designer being sold there, I'll gravitate towards the clothing. I think Australians know what's up.

What's next for Bikini a Day?

We're going to keep it a secret but we're always trying to keep things interesting. Our next focus is really Monday Swimwear and we're really happy with the line—it's truly a perfect reflection of Devin and I and everything we've ever wanted in a bikini, but we definitely have some big things planned for the future. Our message from the beginning has always been to inspire people and through the process we've been inspired by all of our followers, so we want to continue to do that. In the beginning if we were a little self-conscious about our bodies, by hearing everyone say they're inspired by us and our curves, we have become more confident about our bodies and want everyone to feel the same way. We love sharing women's empowerment and all of us appreciating each other's bodies and understanding everyone is beautiful in their own way. It's amazing to see everyone so supportive of that because I've grown up all over the world, and there can be a lot of negativity about a female's image. This has been a real life-changing experience for us.

http://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture/features/a2042/bikini-a-day-natasha-oakley-interview/

• 4 months later...