Bellazon

Raúl González Blanco
Thumbnail

Dama Fashion_ista

Raul: Madrid can still win it

Real Madrid icon Raul claims that if anyone can come back from a four goal deficit it is the boys from the Bernabeu.

Real were humbled 4-0 in their Copa del Rey first-leg match against local outfit Alcorcon - who play two divisions below the capital club - despite fielding a team that included stars such as Raul, Guti and Karim Benzema.

Speaking to Spanish daily Marca the club captain said "The first thing is to apologize because the image is not what this team or the history of this club deserves.

"The tie is not lost despite all that has happened today. This team will take pride. The positive thing is that we have done as bad as we can do and we cannot play that bad again and know that many people want to see us play well and win the game."

And Raul insisted that his side can still win the tie, and must show their resilience in the forthcoming Primera Liga game with Getafe.

"This is football and we have been humbled by a team that has worked with high hope but if a club knows about comebacks, it is Real Madrid. This is a long road, we have a test with the return leg and one in four days against Getafe.

"The great comebacks of the club have occurred because there was always very bad games before. The tie is not lost, we must congratulate Alcorcon but we still have the second leg," Raul declared

Valdano apologises for Madrid upset

Real Madrid director general Jorge Valdano has apologised to his club's supporters following their humiliating Copa del Rey exit.

Although missing a number of star players such as Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka and Xabi Alonso, Madrid still put out a strong team packed with internationals for the first leg of their round of 32 clash at neighbouring Alcorcon.

However, that did not save the Spanish giants from suffering one of the biggest upsets in their illustrious history as they were thrashed 4-0 by the third division team.

It took Segunda Division B side Alcorcon just 16 minutes to go ahead and they were 3-0 up by half-time and 4-0 ahead by the 52nd minute as Manuel Pellegrini's Madrid crashed to their third defeat in five games, having also lost to Sevilla and AC Milan,

Valdano said after the match: "It's difficult. I know how the Madrid fans must be feeling and we apologise to them."

Valdano believes Madrid can still turn the tie around in the second leg at the Bernabeu in a fortnight though, and also gave his backing to under-pressure coach Pellegrini.

"This team is made of up good players and great professionals who are capable of turning this situation around. They are proud players and today we've had really a bad night.

"We have to be united. And when I say united, I include the coach in that," added Valdano on his club's website.

Pellegrini said in quotes reported by Marca: "I'm very embarrassed. There's no reason or explanation for how the team have performed. You have to stand up and everyone has to take responsibility to change things in the next game.

"There's no explanations. We were focused and the training sessions were very good, but Alcorcon played very well.

"We hope our fans can forgive us after this defeat."

Pellegrini is no stranger to cup shocks, having been in charge of a Villarreal outfit that were trounced 5-0 by Segunda Division B Polideportivo Ejido at the same stage of last year's competition before going out 6-1 on aggregate.

Madrid, who have not won the Copa del Rey since 1993, were also the victims of an upset last season as they were knocked out at the fourth-round stage by another third tier side, Real Union, on away goals after drawing 5-5 on aggregate.

Pellegrini said: "Our opponents...we've seen it 3,200 times before. A team who were tremendously motivated and were able to play at their best. I saw them in recent games, we had reports, but they played very well.

"We need to react. We are going to find difficult opponents all over the place. We need to play well everywhere.

Regarding his future at the club, the Chilean insisted he would not be stepping down, adding: "I am not thinking about my job or about resigning, only the next match

The problem is not Pellegrini, he can get this team to play great football which they will when they get it RIGHT. The problem is the players, they think they really don't have to do much to win a game against low teams and that it will be easy. They have not gotten over the AC Milan defeat because they all know they should have won that game and easily but they let it slip with their own stupidity. Manuel Pellegrini is the best coach for Real Madrid need, it is all down to the 11 on the pitch, they know what they have to do in their positions just do it. I am actually glad this is happening now at the beginning of the season and not the last crucial 2 months of the season.

THEY NEED TO GET IT TOGETHER AND FAST, CRISTIANO CAN NOT DO EVERYTHING FOR THEM!!!!!!! AND RAUL, I'M TOO DISAPPOINTED TO EVEN TALK ABOUT WHAT I'M THINKING OF HIM RIGHT NOW.

:blush:

Influential figures from the football world had nothing but kind words about Raul Gonzalez on the day the Madridista captain celebrated his 15th anniversary in white.

DI STEFANO: "Raul accomplished what many people are capable of: walking into a packed stadium and playing as if it was a street game... He has incredible charisma and tremendous goal-scoring ability. He is a bastion in the world of football."

PELE: "Raul is very head strong. He is smart and knows how to handle the pressure. It isn't easy to play for Real Madrid or to play at the level he does every single match. His progress is incredible. Raul is a great player."

MARADONA: "I don't need to say anything because it isn't necessary. He has nothing to prove to anyone. He speaks for himself. We aren't talking about a 15-year old kid. Raul is a genius. He has played at a level that no one else can do. There is no debate. I have never doubted Raul."

JOHAN CRUYFF: "Raul is above all the rest... His subtlety,talent, physical attributes... Raul is my number one."

GENTO: "Di Stefano was marvelous. Any ball he touched was a threat. Like Raul he always thought about scoring. Back then we played with up to five forwards. Raul deserves a lot of credit because he fights for every ball and against the strongest defenders."

ZARRA: "He is an excellent person and extraordinary footballer. He has always stood out for his scoring ability despite not playing in a very advanced position.”

VALDANO: "He plays like an angel. He runs towards everything that moves. He only rests when he has won. He is a proud person who sets very lofty goals. He has a gene for winning. He is Raul."

BUTRAGUEÑO: "Raul is Madrid and Madrid is Raul."

FERNANDO HIERRO: "Raul has had incredible skills since he debuted. But his mentality has stood out above all the rest."

REDONDO: "Raul is the soul of Real Madrid. He is always there to shoulder the load. Few players are as decisive as he is. We have to enjoy watching him because there aren't many like him."

MICHAEL LAUDRUP: "I would always like to have a player like Raul on my team. He has won everything and is still humble. He is what every coach wants for his team."

CAPELLO: "He is my favorite forward. He has an assassin's instinct."

ZINEDINE ZIDANE: "An adjective to describe Raul...Everything! Raul means everything to this Real Madrid."

PAOLO MALDINI: "Raul belongs to a breed of extraordinary champions. He is a global icon of football."

RIO FERDINAND: "Raul is the toughest forward I have faced. He doesn't play against you. He plays far from you. He taunts you into marking him and then he kills you with his passing. He is extremely dangerous."

THIERRY HENRY: "I have always admired Raul. I don't think he is appreciated enough. I respect him very much."

CESC FABREGAS: "Raul is an icon the world over."

FERNANDO TORRES: "Raul is a role model in every training session and every match. He always responds to critics on the football pitch."

i missed Raul too yesterday raulfan but i think for now RM needs to settle on a plan ..

at least for the next 2 games .. and yesterday squad was great .. probably we can get 3 points from the San Siro

with this ..

Raul prooved last night that he is the Spirit of Madrid .. call me crazy but i am sure 90% that the 2 goals from

Higuain has something to do with Raul's Spirit .. i think Raul can be so dangerous when he play as a sub if he wasn't

in the right form ;)

just an opinion .. do you agree ?

Raul prooved last night that he is the Spirit of Madrid .. call me crazy but i am sure 90% that the 2 goals from

Higuain has something to do with Raul's Spirit .. i think Raul can be so dangerous when he play as a sub if he wasn't

in the right form ;)

just an opinion .. do you agree ?

you're right , no body can deny raul's effect on the team, and higuin wanted to prove him self yesterday..

i wish raul play against milan even as a substitute, with a goal this time :laugh: