Bellazon

Alicia Keys
Thumbnail

Zara

• 4 weeks later...

Allure  February 2017 

On her decision to not wear makeup: “I started at 20 years old in this ridiculously invasive world [the music business] in which everyone covered me in makeup and then threw me under tons of lights, so I’d sweat for two or three hours….It took me so long to finally say, ‘Whoa!’ Who am I under there? That is just my own personal quest.”

On women’s rights: “I am all about a woman’s right to choose. I think a woman should do anything she wants as it relates to her face, her body, her health. Whatever mode of expression that empowers you, that’s what you should do. What I am not down for is this ridiculously high, unrealistic expectation about appearance that we as women are held to.”

On mean people: “You know what would be really cool? If we stopped offering our opinion unless asked. If nobody asked you, keep your mouth shut! Like with the Internet? That’s just too much opinion. People are mean. It’s a sickness.”

more: http://www.allure.com/story/alicia-keys-on-makeup-no-makeup

alicia-keys-covers-allure-february-2017-01.jpg alicia-keys-covers-allure-february-2017-02.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

US Glamour March 2017 

Alicia Keys by Carter Smith

32838378_alicia-keys-glamour-march-2017- 32838523_cover.jpg 32838552_image_1.jpg 32838568_image_2.jpg 32838590_image_3.jpg 32838617_image.jpg

On not wearing makeup for nearly a year: “I guess I’ve come to terms that life is going to be a constant peeling back of layers, a constant unlearning of what we’ve been taught or believe to be true. I think that I’ve come to terms with the fact that that’s just going to happen for the whole duration of my life. I feel really good about being able to look myself in the face and say, ‘Oh, who are you now?’ And that might change.”

On what she wishes she could tell her younger self: “There is this fallacy about how women are catty, that we’re all in competition with each other. I’d say: As opposed to getting swept up in jealousy, use that pang to give you an indication of what you are looking for. Actually, there is this awesome performer Lilly Singh [IISuperwomanII on YouTube], who always does this thing: ‘Shout out another girl and tell her what you love about her.’ Even doing that is such a good practice. I don’t know if we tell women great news about themselves enough. You’d be surprised how often a young woman doesn’t hear positive things about herself—not in her home, not at school. It’s hard to create a beautiful image for yourself when you’ve never seen it or heard it.”

On what it means to be a mom: “I love being a mom. And I think what I love the most is the way it makes me think about what’s important and what’s not important. What to fight for and what to just be cool with. What it is that I’m teaching through example and what it is that I was taught that I don’t want to teach. You can be very fulfilled as a mother, but that can’t be the only way you are fulfilled. What about being a woman? What about being yourself? Your awareness of what’s happening in the world? It lives altogether in a way that makes a whole. I guess I’d say I’m the wholest I’ve ever been.”

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...