Bellazon

Fabio Cannavaro
Thumbnail

Georgik

2 - ROMA: Doni; Panucci (Tonetto, 67’), Juan (Ferrari, 76’), Mexes, Cassetti; Giuly, De Rossi, Pizarro (Aquilani, 61’), Mancini; Perrotta & Totti.

1 - REAL MADRID: Casillas; Ramos, Heinze, Cannavaro, Torres; Guti, Gago, Diarra (Drenthe, 78’), Robben (Baptista, 78’); Raúl & Van Nistelrooy.

GOALS:

0-1, 7': Raúl.

1-1, 23': Pizarro.

2-1, 57': Mancini.

REFEREE: Herbert Fandel (GER). Booked Diarra (22’), De Rossi (41’), Torres (63’), Perrotta (67’), Ramos (68’, suspended for the next match) & Cassetti (91’).

HIGHLIGHTS: First leg of the Champions League Last 16. Venue: Stadio Olimpico, Rome.

Heinze & Cannavaro

"We will make it to the quarterfinals"

Heinze and Cannavaro were proud of the team's performance tonight and believe it has great chances of making it through to the next round in Madrid.

Heinze

"It's been a real shame to lose. I personally feel fit and I have great confidence in the medical staff at the Club. That's why I played tonight. It is logical to be slightly bitter with this result, but we are calm nevertheless."

"We played a great match, but this is how football goes. They had less chances, but were lucky enough to win. That's what we have to fix. We must look to the future. The second leg still has to take place."

"We all take risks in life. I came on with the support of my teammates, trusting the job the doctors did on me. I didn't force the situation. I am the only one who makes decisions about my health here. Whatever happens to me is my fault, not someone else's."

"Totti is an intelligent player. We have to work on plays like the one Roma scored from the second time. We didn't know how to prevent it, but I think we did well overall."

"I believe we can go through to the next round if we perform like this. Our fans will play a crucial role. They will be there for us and, together, we will make it through."

Cannavaro

"It's a shame about the final score. We played a great game, dominating throughout, but lost. It's a pity to concede two goals after having so many chances, not being awarded a penalty, hitting the post once and seeing how little their keeper participated in the match."

"The defeat is unfair because we played very well. We were unlucky. The game was very strange. We didn't deserve to lose."

"We will come back from this in Madrid, but we will need to stay alert in order to thwart all their chances. I'm convinced of making it through to the quarterfinals."

"It won't be easy for Roma to play at the Bernabéu. Vistors have a rough time there. I'm sure we'll qualify thanks to the support of our fans."

We Need To Be Intelligent - Cannavaro

Fabio Cannavaro believes that Real Madrid will have to be intelligent if they want to turn around their defeat against Roma and claimed that the Giallorossi are not the same team as they have been.

The Italian defender was open in his appraisal of the game, that saw Los Merengues throw away and early lead to go down 2-1 in the Olimpic Stadium.

After taking the lead through Raúl, the visitors looked to be on top but goals from David Pizarro and Mancini won the opening tie for Roma.

"Nobody likes to lose. When you have given everything, worked hard and created chances to win the game and then lose because you concede two goals it is difficult to accept," Cannavaro said.

"They are not at their best at the moment as they played a lot better before with a strong counter-attack.

"Despite that, they were still dangerous. Two times they broke through and twice they scored.

"Everyone believes that we are going to win the second leg for sure, but it will not be easy. We have to be prepared to be intelligent."

Despite the decent performance, Cannavaro believes that only the result will be remembered and called upon the team to show intelligence in the second game in two weeks time.

"What counts most in football is winning, We played well in Rome, but we lost," he continued.

"If they knock us out nobody will be thinking about whether we played well or not in the first leg.

"We have to be intelligent in the second leg and remember that the tie could turn at any moment.

"We will have to maintain our concentration and positioning because if they score just once it would make things much more difficult for us."

Cannavaro then reiterated that he is enjoying this season in Spain much more than he did his first as he appears to have finally settled in Madrid.

"This year I am feeling a lot better. I am seeing a lot more of the ball," he added.

"Last season was very difficult for me as I have said many times.

0 - Real Madrid: Iker Casillas; Sergio Ramos, Cannavaro, Heinze, Torres (Soldado, 83'); Gago, Guti (Higuain, 75'), Baptista (Drenthe, 61'); Robben, Raul & Van Nistelrooy.

1 - Getafe: Abbondanzieri; Cortes (Mario, 9', Albin, 54'), Belenguer, "Cata" Diaz, Licht; Pablo Hernandez, Celestini, Casquero, Cotelo; Manu (Tena, 67') & Uche.

GOALS: 0-1, 64': Uche.

REFEREE: Daudén Ibanez. Booked Cannavaro (42'), Heinze (65'), Higuain (90'), Cellestini (20'), Casquero (21') and Belenguer (27').

HIGHLIGHTS: Matchday 25 of La Liga. Venue: Santiago Bernabéu Stadium. Attendance: 73,000.